Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxjrsmith3xx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
So Guys I just got the 8GB 2.6GHz 1TB Mac mini I love it. So what are the things I need to buy to be able to install a SSD. So I already have a SSD, 840 EVO 250GB it has windows installed right now what steps I have to do or its plug in play (just install it and OS X will install) And is it sorta easy installing a SSD I've have experience opening phones and such thank you. :cool:

Adz76

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Dagobah System
One of the first things I'd do before anything else is making sure the firmware on the drive is current. There was a bug on those drives that was only rectified by an update that Samsung pushed out.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

Once that is done do the following:

1. Get the relevant iFixit or OWC kit for you particular mini.
2. Create a bootable OSX USB stick for the fresh install
3. Install SSD
4. Install OSX
5. Import data

I'm going to assume you will wipe the SSD and remove windows?, assuming that was correct backup any important data BEFORE doing any of this to an external drive so you you can migrate / import once the Mini has been provisioned how you want it. If you have none, igore this and just wipe and install and you're all set!

Good luck!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

xxjrsmith3xx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
It's the new Mac mini 2014, sorry about that. okay so just go to windows and wipe everything correct ? and also update to the new FW (SSD) Now for the bootable OS I can make a bootable off the Mac mini, I've always done it on a windows. thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would advise you to "prep and test" the new drive BEFORE you attempt to install it into the Mini.

Use either an external enclosure, or a USB3/SATA docking station, or a USB3/SATA "dongle" to make the connection.

Connect the SSD, and use Disk Utility to re-initialize it to Mac format -- HFS+, GUID partition map.

Now use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the contents of the internal drive to the SSD.

Now, do a "test boot" by restarting. As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears. Then select the new (external SSD) drive with the pointer and hit return. You're looking for a "good boot" from the external. To be sure you're actually booted from the SSD, go to the Apple menu and choose "About this Mac..."

Once you do the drive swap, use the enclosure or dock to house the removed HDD.

CCC is FREE to download, and it's FREE to use (fully functional) for 30 days.
SD can do a "full clone" forever without registering (you do have to register to do incremental backups).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.