Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pring1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Hi all

Been playing with this on OS X 10.10 and server 4.0.3 - feel like I'm missing something here with getting file sharing and iCloud authentication working? Or is it just... broken?

On the server I've added a new user under System Preferences > Users and Groups > + user > Choose 'Sharing only' and 'Use iCloud password' - Via system preferences because in the Server app you don't get the option to use the iCloud password. This is where my suspicions of it being 'broken' come from.

Then when on the client, go to Finder and the server in the sidebar, hit 'Connect as' in the top right, and try to auth with this iCloud account the window just 'shakes' like when the password is wrong.

If I set up the account on the server as a 'Standard' account and instead of 'Sharing only' but still with the iCloud password, it works fine on the client.

I don't want to have to add every one in the company with a standard account, when it is just for file sharing.. So 'Sharing only' should do the trick! ;-) (One hell of a long list of names on the login screen too...!).

So am I missing something or have Apple messed this up?

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.