Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 15.37.21.png

Hey guys hope you can help me out on this one :)

I want to have an airport extreme (the ac model) and a time capsule (I think 2009, and I've removed the HDD but that probably doesn't matter) to extend each other as one network.
I know this is easy to do when they are both configured via WPA2 but due to specific reasons I need WPA2 Enterprise aka Radius WiFi.

As you can see in the attached screenshot the "Main Switch" is connected to the modem and the "WALVE" is connected to the "Main Switch".
The problem is though that only the "Main Switch" shows up in the OS X server app.

Settings on "Main Switch":
- RADIUS configured
- Create new network
- DHCP and NAT

Settings on "WALVE":
- RADIUS configured also
- Bridge Mode
- Same Network name as "Main Switch" and also configured to create a new network.

With this configuration the "WALVE" airport shows a green light but no clients will connect to it, clients will only connect to "Main Switch" if they are in proximity of the base station.

I hope I've explained well enough and that you guys can help me out :)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I would switch it so the newer Extreme is at the head of the network. Sometimes you need to configure the secondary base station in DHCP & NAT mode and switch back to bridge mode when done.

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for answering !

So I've changed the newer Airport to be the main router.
Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 08.34.17.png

Then when I try to put the older router into DHCP and NAT Mode I get the following error:
Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 08.33.52.png

What do you advise on setting as range or configuring ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 08.34.50.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 08.34.50.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 359

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Try putting it into WPA2 Enterprise without changing it first.

I've made some sort of progress, I can now successfully put the "Main Switch" router into Radius & Bridge mode, although after an hour the clients closest to that router suddenly can't connect anymore Oo

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The newest Airport is on 7.7.3 and the oldest on 7.6.4, so I guess that's ok ?

Try downgrading the older one to 7.6.1 if possible for testing purposes unless you have a guest network as well. The newer one can stay at the latest firmware. For some reason, I found WPA 2 Enterprise and overall reliability in certain configurations to be better in 7.6.1 rather than 7.6.3/7.6.4.

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Try downgrading the older one to 7.6.1 if possible for testing purposes unless you have a guest network as well. The newer one can stay at the latest firmware. For some reason, I found WPA 2 Enterprise and overall reliability in certain configurations to be better in 7.6.1 rather than 7.6.3/7.6.4.

I've tried a lot of different settings on the 7.6.1 firmware like only using 5GHz, N only etc,...

Guess I'm just going to contact apple support and post my findings here :confused:

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I believe they need to be on the same firmware.

Set it up first so that the two Airports are bridged, then use OS X server to switch to RADIUS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.