Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Im trying to come up with a solution for a families small business.
theres two of them that operate it out of their home and need something central to access all the company data and documents.

one travels and one stays back, so the one traveling all they do is forward an email and thats the current documentation they have is in email, no database or file archiving.

we also want to get their old files and documents scanned in and accessible too, instead of digging through boxes of stuff.

they also would like remote access while on the road to access their data, i presume they may use macbooks and possibly iOS devices.

I was thinking a mac mini, and an airport/time capsule for backup purposes and remote accessibility.

any suggestions on file management and remote access?

thank you!

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Honestly if you only need file storage, I'd look into a cloud-based service. Ie., Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I'd set up a mini as a server -- file server, Time Machine (with an external drive attached) for backing up the MacBooks, VPN for remote accessability. I'd skip the TimeCapsule since the Mini can do this at less cost. Have the mini back up to a cloud service (I use CrashPlan). For going paperless, I suggest a Fujitsu ScanSnap IX500, and a copy of the ebook "Paperless" by David Sparks.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
While the built-in VPN on Server app is easy to setup, its not all that secure using a single passphrase. I would opt for IPSec or OpenVPN.

Set up a mac mini at the office with shared storage. Set up another mac mini at the home with shared storage. Then setup TM to backup over VPN so they have an off-site backup (home). That's how I do the setup with a few people.

Ubiquiti's USG offers very easy site-to-site VPN with no configuration. Simply add both units to the same "site" and it auto-configs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.