Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keithify

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
Was also in the look out for a new wireless speaker and was considering between the the bose sound link mini and creative sound blaster roar. The Roar comes with more features at a lower price point though:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Roar-Built-/dp/B00L3YHF6O/ref=sr_1_1?

roar-1.jpg

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I have the Bose Soundlink 2 and really like it. Plays loud, sounds good, and the battery seems to last for a while too. It wasn't cheap but good products rarely are.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Also worth mentioning is the Sony SRSX5. Very powerful bass and rich audio for $200. It's larger than the highly recommended SoundLink Mini, but it blows it away for the price.

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
I personally use a techmatte bluetooth speaker. They had it on sale a while ago, and I grabbed one. It's a pretty nice speaker; I wanted something small to keep in my woodshed for when I'm working out there, and this does the job nicely. I can hear it across the yard, and I just have to leave my phone somewhere nearby. I would recommend this one, since it is still a pretty good price.

Here's a link

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Thanks! Scrapped the Jawbones of the list.

Somehow I haven't been a fan of Bose, but I'll check them out!
And the UE looks very nice too, but if I read it correctly it's mono and for movies I want stereo :)

I tried the Bose and Sony srs x5 at the same time and I would recommend the sony over the Bose. Here were my key differences
1) Sony has much better base vs the bose
2) Bose has an audio delay...I purchased the speaker to supplement as a subwoofer and the I found the Bose had a significant audio delay over the Sony with no delay due to Bose's software adjustments of the audio.

Bose is more compact than Sony and docks much easier, though. Sony was also a little cheaper.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
when using a bluetooth speaker like this how do you avoid calls or alerts from interrupting?

Enable do not disturb from control centre.

----------

I picked up the sound link 3 this summer. It's got great clear sound, all day battery life and enough power to use for an outdoor party. Only minus for me is the case isn't very good (especially for an extra 40$), and it needs a proprietary ac adapter to charge.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I personally use a techmatte bluetooth speaker. They had it on sale a while ago, and I grabbed one. It's a pretty nice speaker; I wanted something small to keep in my woodshed for when I'm working out there, and this does the job nicely. I can hear it across the yard, and I just have to leave my phone somewhere nearby. I would recommend this one, since it is still a pretty good price.

Here's a link

I have that one too. Pretty good speaker!

fabricator

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2015
I would suggest the Veho M5 speakers. I purchased one and it was amazing.

You can take a look on http://vehospeakers.com where it has all the specifications and features on that site for more information about the speakers. They are also offering it for a very good price.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
The wife purchased a SoundLink Mini for me over the holidays, I think it does more than enough of a job that I need it for (or use it for.) Primary uses are to throw music out in the basement when people are over, working in the garage or yard, etc.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
My favorite speaker for iOS devices is unquestionably the iLoud:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloud/

Awful name, admittedly, but it's actually really good. As the name says, it really is loud (good enough for a smaller live act, and certainly loud enough for anything at home), and it kind of doubles as an audio interface and an amplifier (one microphone and one instrument input, e.g. for a guitar, can be plugged in). As a speaker, it works either wirelessly via Bluetooth or through the headphones jack.

The sound is really good for a portable speaker in this price region (around €200 street price): fairly neutral, brilliant highs and surprisingly decent bass frequencies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.