Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Just saw this thread but hadn't posted before. I've been using this setup for a couple of years:
picture.php

Galant desk with extensions, drawer, and two now-discontinued file cabinets. Expedit 4x4 shelving unit with some drawers, two Billy shelving units hugging the window. Shelves on far left I built myself decades ago. There is also an Ikea (model unknown) desk lamp in the far corner.

Justinontong

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
USA
Oh..Common..Nothing in the life is prefect and everyone has different choices and taste,So if someone bashes out at ikea that doesn't mean that it is bad and not worthy to use there are view and review from which users decide to buy it or not.There are also other in the market which if compared to others biggies are competent enough.Everything is best.It's upto you to like it or not.

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Here is my Ikea "mini-kitchen" purchased with 10+ years of Amex points. I think it came out pretty well. Decent quality stuff for the price and easy DIY job. If you are going to do in cabinet lighting, make sure you use LED or other low-heat lights. What they sold at IKEA seemed to give off way too much heat IMO.

That looks very high end and modern! I love it! Great job!

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
My Guest room is 90% Ikea

Just finished outfitting my guest room in ikea, the bed, nightstand and the 3 drawer chest is the Brusali line, the bookcase is the Billy med brown and I outfitted the huge wall to wall closet in the Pax closet/storage system. Left side of the closet has all shelving for storage, middle part was turned into an entertainment area with the Brusali chest of drawers with a 40" Sony LED HDTV, above the TV is the only non ikea part which is from Future Shop and is a floating cabinet that holds the cable box, blu-ray player, (the AppleTV sits under the TV). The right side of the closet is the area for guests to hang clothes and I added a small fridge for cold drinks for them to grab rather than going downstairs to the kitchen. Out of the picture is another hanging shelf from Ikea which is on the wall between the doors to the room and the other door to the bathroom, this is a small shelf with a glass top for putting keys or charging up a iPhone. I am very pleased with the end results.
Forgot that the 2 lights above the bed are also ikea as is the light on top of the bookcase, my word I did overdose on Ikea for this room!!!!

Attachments

• Billy bookcase.JPG
    Billy bookcase.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 253
  • Storage shelves Pax system guest room.JPG
    Storage shelves Pax system guest room.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_7253.JPG
    IMG_7253.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 222
  • fridge in closet.JPG
    fridge in closet.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 257
  • Mirrored guest room.jpg
    Mirrored guest room.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

AppDiggity

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2015
Five years ago I bought a coffee table from there for $50. Stylish and affordable. Still have it to this day. I would take pics but I am at work. It's black and clean styling.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
IKEA is not low cost anymore and their products are cheap quality.

I bought higher quality bed sets and computer desks from other furniture stores that gave me more in terms of size and space, for either the same price or less. IKEA never has held up when moving either whereas my furniture was moved 2x already. I also got free delivery and installation whereas IKEA charges almost $200 for that.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
But they have great meatballs!
:)

I can't deny I go there just to eat sometimes. Its literally walking distance from me. Two hot dogs, chips, and soda for under $3 - can't go wrong.

And yes their meatballs are delicious.

Last I read, they make $2B in revenue just on food sales alone! Although I'm sure their profit margin is less than 5%.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Just finished outfitting my guest room in ikea, the bed, nightstand and the 3 drawer chest is the Brusali line, the bookcase is the Billy med brown and I outfitted the huge wall to wall closet in the Pax closet/storage system. Left side of the closet has all shelving for storage, middle part was turned into an entertainment area with the Brusali chest of drawers with a 40" Sony LED HDTV, above the TV is the only non ikea part which is from Future Shop and is a floating cabinet that holds the cable box, blu-ray player, (the AppleTV sits under the TV). The right side of the closet is the area for guests to hang clothes and I added a small fridge for cold drinks for them to grab rather than going downstairs to the kitchen. Out of the picture is another hanging shelf from Ikea which is on the wall between the doors to the room and the other door to the bathroom, this is a small shelf with a glass top for putting keys or charging up a iPhone. I am very pleased with the end results.
Forgot that the 2 lights above the bed are also ikea as is the light on top of the bookcase, my word I did overdose on Ikea for this room!!!!

When I was still married, my ex and I turned the guest bedroom in our house into a walk in closet using the Pax storage system. Those were no joke at all, and we had to assemble each one in the bedroom itself, all 6 of them. If she sells the house, I would imagine that those would end up staying because they would need to all be disassembled to remove them. I don't have any pictures of it I don't think, but will look through some old drives to see if there are remnants.

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
When I was still married, my ex and I turned the guest bedroom in our house into a walk in closet using the Pax storage system. Those were no joke at all, and we had to assemble each one in the bedroom itself, all 6 of them. If she sells the house, I would imagine that those would end up staying because they would need to all be disassembled to remove them. I don't have any pictures of it I don't think, but will look through some old drives to see if there are remnants.

Oh boy do I hear you!!! It was quite the job to put just the 4 units together, thankfully a friend helped me but it sure was a big job and then putting all those shelves in... sheesh I think I am having nightmares about that. If I ever sell the townhouse those will stay with the place. I am not going to dismantle them. I would love to see what your system looked like, hope you can find some photos.

----------

IKEA is not low cost anymore and their products are cheap quality.

I bought higher quality bed sets and computer desks from other furniture stores that gave me more in terms of size and space, for either the same price or less. IKEA never has held up when moving either whereas my furniture was moved 2x already. I also got free delivery and installation whereas IKEA charges almost $200 for that.

Before buying Ikea Brusali for the guest room bed I did a lot of price comparison shopping and I couldn't find anything that was not ubber expensive as I was looking specifically for a platform bed. I was very impressed with the quality of the bed when it arrived so I sure have no complaints on that, as to moving I think Ikea furniture stands up as well as anything I found it really depends on who did the moving and how well the furniture was wrapped before shipping.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I can't deny I go there just to eat sometimes. Its literally walking distance from me. Two hot dogs, chips, and soda for under $3 - can't go wrong.

And yes their meatballs are delicious.

Last I read, they make $2B in revenue just on food sales alone! Although I'm sure their profit margin is less than 5%.

Makes me jealous - closest store to me is 191 miles away!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.