Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
hey folks. I need some advice, i just quit Lightroom and move all my photos to my powermac G4 that works as a file server, now i need any application better than iPhoto to create a new catalog, i heard that Lyn is no longer available for PPC Macs. so i need your help! thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Aperture 2, says that my dual 1Ghz is not enough to run the installer.

The system requirements are available here. You may be able to bypass the requirements by modifying the installer or using Pacifist. I would do some Googling if there is an easy file to modify or somehow fake out the clock speed.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
i just would like to catalog my photos. Photoshop seems to be quite difficult to use. is it?

I found it to be. And i used Adobe CS2 Photoshop and Illustrator for photography and Graphic Design in High School.

Although Illustrator is pretty straight foreword when you get the Hang of it, Photoshop is still something you cant get the hang of using.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Have you tried photoshop CS3 or CS4? I can't get either one to install on my PowerMac G5 2.0 DP...
The Creative Suite installer itself will fail when run on a PowerPC Mac. That is because there are a few programs in the Suite that require an Intel Processor or a certain spec that PowerPC Macs cannot achieve.

However! If you run each INDIVIDUAL installer you can install CS4 that way. We have CS4 running on the G4/G5 here at work and it runs on my Quicksilver G4 at home as well as my 17" PowerBook.

When doing the individual installs you will encounter the one or two apps (such as Premier or After Effects) that will not allow you to install because of what I mentioned above.

----------

i just would like to catalog my photos. Photoshop seems to be quite difficult to use. is it?
That depends on how willing you are to learn, how much time you have and what you are looking to do.

Photoshop is a professional image editing tool. It's not a cataloguer, although you can use it to browse that way I suppose.

It's a bit like taking a Lamborghini to the grocery store for milk. It will get you there (and very quickly too) but learning how to drive it (and stay under the speed limit) can be challenging. But it will let you bring your milk home. Just like driving to the store in a common car would.

----------

…Photoshop is still something you cant get the hang of using.
I have to disagree. But only because I work in Photoshop each day.

I will say that I don't know all of it. But that is because certain aspects of PS do not apply to what I do. I work in the newspaper business and build ads and compose newspaper pages. I need PS to edit photos and for effects and other things required.

Some people use is to do wonderful things like morphing heads onto bodies and making it all look natural or for touching up old photos, or color balancing pictures and on and on. Not something required in my job and so not something I really could do with any realism.

But if you need the color black to be on just the black plate of a four color ad (CMYK) I can totally tell you how to do that using the tools in PS.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What do you recommend using to make a professional website banner?
InDesign. But only because that's what I use. If we were still on QuarkXPress I'd use that. My skills in Illy and PS are somewhat less than InDesign/XPress although PS and Illy will give you more tools for specifically doing that kind of thing.

And with InDesign you can export a JPG directly.

Doing it in a page layout app lets you keep native files with native text. If there is a typo or someone needs text changes it's as simple as editing the text frame. You can keep type with .psd and .ai, but since neither Illy nor PS are page layout apps it's somewhat less easy to do simple text edits.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
i would like to give a try to Aperture, but i cant find the way to install it on the G4. Another option would be look for an alternative on linux, like Darktable, if available.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Well, my final photo edition software setup.
- Pixelmator (jpeg) + RawTherapee for edition.
- Finder for catalog.

Keeping it easy.

ill advise anyone how wants to edit photos on RAW to try Rawtherapee, it saved my life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.