Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dredlew

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Japan
They are and have been updating the accuracy of maps and POI.

They have but if they had their priorities in line, nice-to-have-features like this would be added after the must-have MVP (Minimum Viable Product) features. Not having public transportation is far from anything viable. Clouds and poor quality maps for a lot of regions, plus 3D data for most cities is still MIA. All things that would belong into the minimum category in order to even compete.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
They are and have been updating the accuracy of maps and POI.

I've reported some situations multiple times, but it took more than a year for Apple to correct it to the situation at the time I reported it, not at the time they changed it, so things remain broken.

For easy route-information from and to big cities I can rely on Apple maps, but for smaller cities and less important places it's still a no-go as Apple may not have an up-to-date street plan for that area.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I still have to use Google Maps because of Street View. 3D flyovers are not an adequate alternative, so animating them makes no difference to me.

iorangutan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
It's really cool! I've just done a little video of them here - enjoy, but check it out for yourself of course:

Last edited:

nastinupe

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
Meanwhile...

Meanwhile.... I'm still getting the wrong directions to a Sears right outside of San Francisco, California.

Apple Maps still sucks. Many of the addresses are like half a block to a block off for a lot of the places that I try to get to and sometimes it's not even close. They have a long way to go to catch up to Google Maps. I still don't use Apple Maps because every time I think that it should be better I am sent to the wrong place.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
They have but if they had their priorities in line, nice-to-have-features like this would be added after the must-have MVP (Minimum Viable Product) features. Not having public transportation is far from anything viable. Clouds and poor quality maps for a lot of regions, plus 3D data for most cities is still MIA. All things that would belong into the minimum category in order to even compete.

There are different teams with different skills working on these things. Do you think there are only three people working at Apple? Apple can do more than one thing at a time you know. :rolleyes:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Especially for the cell carriers, even more ludicrously expensive roaming data charges.

When we go to Canada for a day we have to print out maps of everywhere we plan to go, last time we were hit with a $300+ data charge, mostly due to map data.

On unlocked phones, you could just get a local sim and consume to your hearts content :). Also, can't you still buy tourists maps :). Probably a bit cheaper than either options.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Meanwhile.... I'm still getting the wrong directions to a Sears right outside of San Francisco, California.

Apple Maps still sucks. Many of the addresses are like half a block to a block off for a lot of the places that I try to get to and sometimes it's not even close. They have a long way to go to catch up to Google Maps. I still don't use Apple Maps because every time I think that it should be better I am sent to the wrong place.

Welll, then maybe Google and Apple can work together... Because they both don't work ;-). I often prefer just getting the address off the yellow pages app and then just getting where they are on the map. Only way to make sure really.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Especially for the cell carriers, even more ludicrously expensive roaming data charges.

When we go to Canada for a day we have to print out maps of everywhere we plan to go, last time we were hit with a $300+ data charge, mostly due to map data.

And exactly this is the point why Microsoft and Nokia got it right.

Yes - it's the hell of an initial download - but as you can use your home internet to grab the largest amount of map data and use the Here Maps offline...

...I personally think the WindowsPhone navigation is miles ahead of Google and Apple. Now if they just had enough user base for real time traffic data...

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
I for one have been using Apple maps since it first came out with out any problems.
Shouldn't that read "I am the only one..."?
No, I'm the other one that hasn't had any problems with Apple maps. And I use it every day in the Houston, Texas area which is a large sprawling area with many different types of street names and state, local and federal highway names. So, Apple maps is not a problem for me either. As a matter of fact, I find it hard to use Google maps on the fly. The ios version is not nearly as intuitive to me.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

Not really. I imagine it would load the images only once, and the model is not constantly consuming data.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
There are different teams with different skills working on these things. Do you think there are only three people working at Apple? Apple can do more than one thing at a time you know. :rolleyes:

it shows focus and where the priorities are. this addition and flyover (though to less extent) and incorrect poi, not fixing reported issues and lack of directions in some places clearly shows that.

but if not for your sarcasm im sure a few misguided souls would still think apple actually only employes 3 multitaskers.

and history actually shows that apple has had issues with multitasking.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Well thats what I always loved Apple for, the attention to detail and I like to see that they are still looking for the small things again.
But this isn't just paying attention to the small things. It's a showy gimmick. Let's face it, if Samsung had touted this as one of their features we'd all rightly be laughing at them

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
But this isn't just paying attention to the small things. It's a showy gimmick. Let's face it, if Samsung had touted this as one of their features we'd all rightly be laughing at them

Well they dont advertise it as a feature. Macrumors makes an article about it.

If Samsung did it, I would like such "gimmicks" too.

I think more about it like the poof-cloud they did in OSX for dragging something out of the dock. Its a gimmick, but its nice!

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
I would be much more impressed if when I entered '123 Main Street', it didn't assume I meant the one across the country instead of the one 3km away.

Or if it could somewhat intelligently autocorrect '123 Mai Street' to '123 Main Street' instead of the unhelpful no-such-address error.
You clearly don't use Maps. It does that automatically. When you start typing it searches nearby matches. I typed your issue and had a list of near matches by distance before I got to the i.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 59

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
You clearly don't use Maps. It does that automatically. When you start typing it searches nearby matches. I typed your issue and had a list of near matches by distance before I got to the i.

Maps is forever giving me places in other countries, instead of places that are literally 10 minutes away. Its so freaking annoying.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Every time I use flyover, I'm reminded how much better my iPhone 6+ would be with 2GB of RAM. The images seem to constantly reload as I pan and zoom around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.