Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
My only point is, to call it "unprofessional" is just juvenile.
I wouldn't say it's juvenile. But maybe you are correct that I shouldn't have called it unprofessional. I should have just said that it is too colorful for my taste.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I don't hate iOS7, Apple has sorted out most of its bugs and it's a predictable version that's easy for novices to use. Only those who believe Apples very slick hype that surrounds the brand may be somewhat disappointed.

My experience with it on my iPhone 5S proves it to be genuinely adequate. It does the job Apple designed it for.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The way my twisted mind sees it. You have two choices. One you switch to another mobile phone or you quit whining and get used to it. Anyone who thinks apple is just going to re redesign the OS because a few weenies can't handle it might as well switch now and quit complaining. This is the new design language. It will be tweaked and will always be improved over the years. But no drastic change will come for at least a few years.

Either way, GET OVER IT!

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Here's one thing I dislike in iOS 7, when I make a folder for my Apps it changes the color of the folder to match the home screen wallpaper. Is there a way to keep the folder a certain color without changing the wallpaper?

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
And what is your age group? But I would guess much younger than me.

The age group at the law firm ranges widely from mostly early 20s to people in their 60s. But that's not really the point. The point is that, while there might be people who don't like the look of iOS 7, it has absolutely no bearing on someone's age. I know young people who don't like it, and I know older people who absolutely love it. Most of the people I know tend to like it a lot. Putting your age and your career as collateral for your preference and opinion of what iOS 7 should look like is silly at best, in my opinion. Especially when I compare it to my work environment, which is professional as well. Basically, if you don't like iOS 7, you should just say you don't like it because that's your preference and opinion, and we all here would respect both.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It would be just as fast.

If the iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.4 is faster than the iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1, it kinda figures that the 5S would blaze a smokin' trail if it was running iOS4.

My iPhone 4 is still running 5.1.1 (due to some system tweaks I had to make to get it to be fully functional with StraightTalk)... it is smoother and more responsive than the newer iPhones running 7.1.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
If the iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.4 is faster than the iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1, it kinda figures that the 5S would blaze a smokin' trail if it was running iOS4.

The iPhone 4 runs iOS 4 very quickly, it is not optimized for 64 bit.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Seriously! I don't notice any pastels outside of a few icons.

There are no pastels in iOS 7. People have been saying pastel since it came out, confusing pastel with neon, bright and saturated. I thought it was something learned in 2nd grade, but apparently not.

Pastel colors:

Pastel-colour-palette-pink-mint-butter-salmon-mauve-mylusciouslife.com_.jpg

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I originally bought the 16GB WiFi Air with the intention of running 7.1 on it shortly after buying it. I ran 7.0.4 on it for a few days and jail broke it. After a few days, i figured I would upgrade to 7.1.

Tabs in Safari still reload and the bug where the videos app would crash after deleting videos WAS fixed but I missed my jailbreak. I also wished I would have gotten the 32GB Air. Took it back to BestBuy to exchange for the 32GB and Jailbroke it immediately.

I will wait till the next update to see what happens. I am happy to have my JB back and more space.

UntoldAnimation

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
Beware! Wall of text!

(EDIT: This is a copy-and-paste of one of my threads that go closed for some odd reason. I was told to talk about it here instead)
Hiya! This is my first post here. I came here because the community support at Apple is ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH.
I've made three posts in two that got removed already.

The first was a half-rant about the problems I had 'bout iOS7, hoping someone would say "Oh! This is an easy fix", but nope, it got taken down.

The second time I made it look less like a rant, and more like a genuine post. (Which they both were already, just not to someone). I paid good money for Apple stuff, you'd think I have the right to leave my feedback. Apparently not , thought the guy who took that down too

The third time, I completely dropped my complaints about iOS7 and straight up asked "Why are my posts being taken down". And whoop-de-frickin-doo, it got taken. I think they hate me :p

So yeah, I hope that won't happen here too. That would probably not happen unless I complained about this site. Which by no means (I'm talking to you, admin) am I doing. Just thought I'd get that off my chest.
'Ok', you're thinking right now, 'what the hell is this idiot complaining about anyway?'

Well brace yourself for a wall of text. Is there a character limit? Hope not.

Too... much... neon!
I don't know what they were going for. Maybe the thought it would appeal more to kids and they would buy more Apple products. The new look just makes me want to use my devices less. Well, that and my next point

It drains your battery
'Ten hour battery life'
I mean really, who said that? I'd be on my home screen at 100%, then go into and app like Youtube for like half-an-hour and go back to my home screen. The next thing you know, you're at like 80%. And speaking of apps...

Downloading/Updating
Yeah, I missed when those two things worked. The good ol' days. But really though, whenever I download or update, it stops halfway through and is like '(App) could not be downloaded at this time. Herp-de-derp, I'm an idiot'. Well, except for that last part. But as you know, once you start updating and app, you can't use it until it's done. So yeah, that's why half of my favourite apps either won't open or say "New update available" and won't be able to be used unless you get the update. The same things happens then I try to update to from iOS 7.0.6 on my iPad to iOS 7.1. Who knows, maybe that update will fix all of these problems. Oh wait, my friend mad iOS 7.1 on his iPod. That didn't do jack.
And no, don't be thinking "oh just restert ur idevice" because it happens on my iPad, iPod, my mom's iPhone, and all my friends devices too. I even have trouble downloading things on Mavericks sometimes. So yeah, it's not just me. But, I guess the apps that do still work will last me. Except for

Overall Stability
Apps crash. Like 400% more than it did. Safari makes it look like my download speed is 0.5mb/s, when in reality it's like 20mb/s. It's just so much. I guess they haven't learned from Internet Explorer. I might add that the keyboard is pretty laggy too. And what's up with all these menus. Yeah, I guess the menu that comes from the bottom of your screen is cool, but whats with the top one? What's it for really? Ok, you know when you get a notification at the top of you screen from apps you have, like "Sarah like you Facebook picture" or something. Yeah, those. The ones that appear for a few seconds. You'd expect that when you pull the menu down, it will show you all those. Nope. Some other thing I can't remember ever using. Those two menus combined make scrolling a hastle. I mean, when you scroll, you touch the bottom of the screen and pull upwards and the other way 'round, but if you do that, it interprets that as you want to open a menu. What's funny is, the first time an app ever crashed for me (Back in iOS5), it said something like "Do you want to send a crash report". But now it's like 'Screw it, we know how much your apps crash, so whats the point of sending it to us'

Some small changes I noticed
I can't help the feeling that the speakers are a bit more quieter. Also, some very annoying is that if I'm trying to be quiet, I'd turn the volume all the way down. (Like when someone near me is sleeping etc,) Then when I go to type, it still makes that annoying tapping noise. Really. Why?!
Also, I was very disappointed to find that the fingerprint scanner doesn't work. Atleast, not in iOS7. I'm sure it would be fine in iOS6, if say fingerprint scanners were out back then for iOS devices. Also, then panorama home screen thing doesn't work. I've seen in iPhone 5s trailers that you can set panos as your home screen and it will move as you move your phone. 'Hahahahaha, nope!' thought Apple. 'We can't give them too many cool things. Infact, lets make all the cool things not work >: D'

(I probably left out other things, I might add them in if I remember.)

Yeah, so that's what I think about iOS7 What do you guys think. I'll be very annoyed if this gets taken down too. Please don't be dat guy. I'll copy and paste this textedit just in case...

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I read the ops post and just found out that the calendar got better. CalenMob still has more convenient features like easy delete popup window and number of dots to indicate number of tasks for each day. But CalenMob doesn't have repeat function. I will have to keep both apps. SIGH!!!!

Yes. Apps crash a lot more. Even the App Store app crashes now.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Well, just wait less than two months, and we'll have iOS 8 Beta 1. Maybe they will have a black theme as well, and a ton of other changes. I like iOS 7, though. It looks great on a bigger screen, though (iPad).

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
Again, I was speaking more on the appearance of the phones and OS. As a professional, I wouldn't bring a pastel colored phone to work.

Obviously we will never agree. I like the additional functions of iOS 7 but hate its appearance and reduced features of certain default Apps. I think Apple got iOS 6 mostly right in the end. I don't agree that the iOS has to be a "redesign" every few years or so, I think it should be more of an evolution.

http://apple.com/ios

Why didn't you check it out before you downloaded it? It seems your main gripe is the appearance, which isn't something you have to download to get a look at.

And "as a professional," why do you have people looking at your phone? Only reason I could think of is to airplay presentations or something, and guess what - that doesn't involve the iOS interface.

I think you're just grumpy with yourself for blindly updating your OS and now you need to gripe about it like it's somehow all Apple's fault. Nothing about the colors (which AREN'T pastel, by the way. Easter colors are considered pastel) is unprofessional in any case.

At any rate, I hope whatever super-important, high-powered law firm you work at or wherever doesn't have its business interrupted by a few bold-colored icons.

Speaking of which, check out the OS on the "professional" Blackberry phones:

mainscreen_sm.png

Look at all of those bold colors and silly-looking outlines! Just like iOS 7!

Last edited:

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Fair enough. And if you leave it at that, that 87% have upgraded to iOS 7 there would be no issue. But it's NOT left there... inferences are drawn such as "If that many people updated it MUST be good!" One cannot draw that conclusion from the fact that 87% upgraded.

For me, that is the trick I fell for back in 2013. While my friend was updating her iPad 2 to iOS 7, I did the same thing. The results were extremely bad. From that point on, I hated my iPad until iOS 7.1 . :mad: .

To this day, I semi hate iOS 7:confused: . I still have iOS 6.1.4 on my iPhone 4S and refuse to give it up even though it has a shot battery (long story on why I am not allowed to get the battery replaced).

Each iOS has their own ups and downs. For example, iOS 7 & 8 have a better control center where you can turn on airplane mode, disconnect from wifi and, even ajust the brightness with the touch of a button.

However, compared to iOS 6, iOS 7 lacks stability, battery life, being able to tweet from your notifications pane, and setting a wallpaper is a pain in the neck (due to paralax effect).

So, compared to my needs, I prefer iOS 6 for how it works and functions. I'm not old. I'm a college student. For this reason, I may have outdated software but, in the end, I am happier at the end of the day for my device looks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.