Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Hoping to finally swap in a SSD on my Late 2009 Unibody MacBook.
I've been reading up on posts here and just want to confirm the steps.
Please correct me on any mistakes or suggestions.

-make a back up on Time Machine(I have a external Seagate HD)

-swap in the SSD

-fresh install Snow Leopard(Yosemite later)

-transfer my data, music, pics etc from Time Machine on to it once Snow Leopard is installed

Am I correct or am I missing something?

Also, where can I get a copy of Snow Leopard?
Thanks for everyone's help.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
What is your current OS ?

You will need to format the SSD before installing (from the DVD's Disk Utility).

Snow Leopard is on your grey install DVD that came with the Mac, or you can buy a retail DVD from the Apple Store (works for the Late 2009 model, not for the Mid-2010).

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

If your current OS is Snow Leopard, yes you are correct by doing a Time Machine backup.
You can then either use Setup Assistant to import your account, or choose to not use Setup Assistant, and restore specific folders/files from Time Machine interface instead.

Last edited:

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Thanks Bruno09.
I think Yosemite. I'll have to check once I get off work.
Will that be a issue?

Last edited:

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I just did this last weekend. Same machine. Running Yosemite.

Used the free trial of Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup on an external HDD.

Restarted and booted from backup to test.

Shut down, installed SSD.

Booted from backup again, formatted SSD using Disk Utility, cloned backup to SSD using CCC.

Restarted and booted from SSD, enjoyed new speeds.

It really made this five year old machine feel like new. I geeked around with it after a couple days and now have the original HDD and new SSD set up as a Fusion Drive. I'm super impressed with the upgrade, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Best $60 I ever spent on a computer upgrade.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Are you on Yosemite ?

If so, you don't even need to do a clone, if you have a Time Machine backup.

- install the SSD
- connect the Time Machine disk by USB to the Mac.
- boot up with Alt depressed
- on the startup screen, select the Time Machine disk
- from the OS X Utilities window, launch Disk Utility
- erase the SSD in Mac OS Extended journaled format
- quit Disk Utility
- from the OS X Utilities window, select "Restore from Time Machine backup"

Note : for safety reasons, I always have both a Time Machine backup AND a clone.
Therefore, for such operation (replacing a hard drive) I always choose to use the clone as theLimit suggested.

Last edited:

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
This is the SSD I got. 120GB Silicon Power S70. It was right around $50 a couple weeks ago. I also got a caddy to install it in place of the SuperDrive for about $9.

I'm honestly impressed with how well Fusion drive works. I've got about 300GB used out of 430GB and it's still super responsive. The apps I use like iTunes, iPhoto, and Aperture each with their 100GB libraries open in under 5 seconds where they used to take upwards of 20 seconds from the HDD.

I didn't want to throw much money at a 5 year old computer, and I'm overjoyed with the newfound performance I got for cheap. With a new battery and a max RAM upgrade in the future, this machine may just last me another 5 years.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Found this vid on youtube using Time Machine to clone to my SSD, skip to 7:22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w05wEwmrYU&list=PLhRgRAGO-VWHNrBOOQjaicQMgz2VxBcFs

I plan to do try it that way except my Time Machine is on a External 1TB Seagate.
Is this the way you described Bruno09?

----------

This is the SSD I got. 120GB Silicon Power S70. It was right around $50 a couple weeks ago. I also got a caddy to install it in place of the SuperDrive for about $9.

I'm honestly impressed with how well Fusion drive works. I've got about 300GB used out of 430GB and it's still super responsive. The apps I use like iTunes, iPhoto, and Aperture each with their 100GB libraries open in under 5 seconds where they used to take upwards of 20 seconds from the HDD.

I didn't want to throw much money at a 5 year old computer, and I'm overjoyed with the newfound performance I got for cheap. With a new battery and a max RAM upgrade in the future, this machine may just last me another 5 years.

That's awesome.

I'm happy with the $165 spent on 8gb RAM/256gb SSD on mine too till i'm ready for a rMBP.
Read good reviews on the Crucial MX100 SSD, that's why i decided to get it. Also from Amazon helps lol.

But my buddy said i'll probably be content after the upgrades and forget about a rMBP:D

TheMacNinja

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
Albany, NY
Found this vid on youtube using Time Machine to clone to my SSD, skip to 7:22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w05wEwmrYU&list=PLhRgRAGO-VWHNrBOOQjaicQMgz2VxBcFs

I plan to do try it that way except my Time Machine is on a External 1TB Seagate.
Is this the way you described Bruno09?

----------

That's awesome.

I'm happy with the $165 spent on 8gb RAM/256gb SSD on mine too till i'm ready for a rMBP.
Read good reviews on the Crucial MX100 SSD, that's why i decided to get it. Also from Amazon helps lol.

But my buddy said i'll probably be content after the upgrades and forget about a rMBP:D

An SSD and 8GB of RAM is a very good combo. Enjoy!

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Download "superduper" (free) then just clone your current hd to the new ssd (using a external usb sata enclosure). Replace hd with ssd and reboot.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Finally had a chance to install my SSD and restored via Time Machine. Working great!:D
Thanks again for everyones help.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.