Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stankura

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
My 64GB WiFi does this when I put pressure on the back. It is in an Apple leather case, but this doesn't happen when just holding it. I was unaware of it until reading this thread and tried it with pressure. I can't do this on my iPad Air first generation. Hopefully this won't cause any trouble.

GatorScott

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
Disappointed why?

The solid cover and not trifold...also the so called magnet that's in the cover is just barely strong enough to turn screen on when opened but not strong enough to keep closed. Also when holding it open the back cover just flops around instead of snapping to the back(magnets) like apple case.

Still love their phone cases but they dropped the ball on the air 2 case IMO.

GatorScott

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
Air 2 Screen distoring when holding.

The solid cover and not trifold...also the so called magnet that's in the cover is just barely strong enough to turn screen on when opened but not strong enough to keep closed. Also when holding it open the back cover just flops around instead of snapping to the back(magnets) like apple case.

Still love their phone cases but they dropped the ball on the air 2 case IMO.

Update: got my apple Smart Case and like it much better than the spigen. So don't cheap out the first time around like I did lol

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I have a genuine smart cover on my ipad air 2 and I find when the cover is on the screen the magnets hold just fine, but when the cover is on the back of the iPad the magnets are quite weak and always detatch on the flapping end.

GatorScott

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015

I have a genuine smart cover on my ipad air 2 and I find when the cover is on the screen the magnets hold just fine, but when the cover is on the back of the iPad the magnets are quite weak and always detatch on the flapping end.

Mine hold at top but the middle section has no magnets so I see what you mean. I've only used 2(the spigen and apple) and if I had to choose, the build quality on the apple one is much better.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

What do you mean ? :confused:
They are not supposed to hold when the cover is opened....

samuelmoros

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
I bought the iPad air 2 a few days ago at best buy. Once I got it I could definitely see the distortion clearly on the right bottom corner. I didn't have to even put pressure on it, just by picking up I was able to see it. I went online to see what was happening and to see if it was only me, apperantly there were a lot of iPad that came with this problem. After reading a lot about it I decided to exchange the iPad because large distortion was really annoying to me. I went back to best buy and I told the geek squad about it and they gave me a new one. Once I got the new one it had the exact same problem but in the middle of the iPad screen. I told the people at the store and they could clearly see this distortion even more. They decided to call the apple representative to look at the iPad before they went ahead and gave me a new one, after the guy looked at it he said that I was putting a lot of pressure on it ( which was clearly bs because literally the screen became dissorted by me just picking the iPad up) the guy also told me that it was normal since the iPad was so thin. At that point I decided to return the iPad because I didn't feel like it was fair to me to have paid $700 for a product that wasn't well manufactured. It wasn't really worth it. I'm writing this to tell everyone out there that if you are thinking about getting this iPad don't do it unless you want a product that will give you "problems" just out of the box. This is my personal opinion and I would not been happy with that disssorted screen, it really bothered me a lot! Good luck to everyone else!

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
What do you mean ? :confused:
They are not supposed to hold when the cover is opened....

I am talking about when you are using the iPad and have the smart cover flipped onto the back of the iPad. The loose end of the cover never holds well when resting on the back of the iPad.

GatorScott

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015

Okay so today went to best buy to test exactly how much pressure you have to put on the back of this thing and the screen to distort it(because I was unwilling to try on my own). And ya this threads ridiculous lol the amount of pressure you have to put on the screen to make it distort will NEVER be put on by normal use. I had to damn near bend it, putting so much pressure on the back for it to distort. And of course like any other screen if you push down hard enough on it you get the color wash effect but why would you ever press so hard on it?

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013

Hmm mine work fine, and actually I noticed how strong they were compared to the apple case I have for the mini.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I am talking about when you are using the iPad and have the smart cover flipped onto the back of the iPad. The loose end of the cover never holds well when resting on the back of the iPad.

It is not supposed to holds on the back. It is supposed to holds only when closed on the screen.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Okay so today went to best buy to test exactly how much pressure you have to put on the back of this thing and the screen to distort it(because I was unwilling to try on my own). And ya this threads ridiculous lol the amount of pressure you have to put on the screen to make it distort will NEVER be put on by normal use. I had to damn near bend it, putting so much pressure on the back for it to distort. And of course like any other screen if you push down hard enough on it you get the color wash effect but why would you ever press so hard on it?

if you needed as much as force as bending it, your fingers werent in the right spot. you will notice it when you place your hand to the right spot.

scottyy

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2015
I have had zero issues with this on my 128gb wifi air 2.

Even if I hold the back very firmly I still have zero distortion.

konradsa

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
I have owned mine for 1/2 year now. It has been blown way out of proportion. It doesn't show up during normal use, and it hasn't caused any permanent damage yet either. Considering that there have been no real reports of permanent damage here, it's pretty safe to assume by now it's just a minor cosmetic issue that really doesn't affect the performance of the product. Initially, I was squeezing mine a lot too just to see, but then you quickly forget about it and just enjoy it.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
I have owned mine for 1/2 year now. It has been blown way out of proportion. It doesn't show up during normal use, and it hasn't caused any permanent damage yet either. Considering that there have been no real reports of permanent damage here, it's pretty safe to assume by now it's just a minor cosmetic issue that really doesn't affect the performance of the product. Initially, I was squeezing mine a lot too just to see, but then you quickly forget about it and just enjoy it.

I agree with you, unless you are a giant I doubt this will be a real life issue for anyone.

Still this obsession with thinness by Apple is starting to unravel some issues with devices... First the bending of iPhone 6+ now you can poke your screen from behind :D

Apple, stop making everything thinner! :eek:

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Same experience here, but ....

Really, I do think the Air 2 got just a little bit TOO thin.
I accidentally dropped mine the first day I bought it. (Was coming home on the Metro and it slipped out of my hand while waiting for a train in the station.) I didn't have my case for it yet because I ordered it online from Amazon and it was still shipping. Anyway, it fell so the top corner hit the ground first, but then it fell flat on its back side. At first, I thought "Oh, good! The screen wasn't hit so it'll be fine except for maybe a scuff or small scratch!" But nope! The whole corner bent so it looks dog-eared! It's so thin, this made the glass separate from the rest of the unit in that corner too.

Everything works fine still, and I can hide the damage by putting it in the leather slip-case I bought for it. But it looks like a weak spot now, where any little tap in just the right spot will cause the glass to shatter or come loose. Apparently, Apple can't do any kind of repair for this either. I'd have to pay for almost the cost of the whole iPad Air 2 to have it swapped out.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I went to an Apple Store to check this for myself, holy crap!

I didn't put much pressure and it did show up :(

Not sure if this would be an issue during normal use but the issue is there nonetheless and it shouldn't be.

Also this video mimics this issue to perfection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iuj8ATfeZA

Yep, great summary – I’ve known this to be true all along. I hope the iPad Air 3 corrects this flaw.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
So I have this issue but I can never seem to have the issue in practice. I also think the IPAds is too thin back to iPad Air size and battery size would be preferred.

I use mine in a case so I have no issue.

warnerve

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Yep, great summary – I’ve known this to be true all along. I hope the iPad Air 3 corrects this flaw.

I think people are overreacting a bit.

First, you have to apply a very significant pressure on some points over the back for the distortion appear.

I use my Air 2 every day and I've never had this issue with normal usage. I can only reproduce it if I press my thumb with unusual force on the right bottom part and then some distortion appears on the screen.

I think common sense should be used here. This is a very thin device, with a fragile display under the glass. Don't apply much pressure when you're holding it and you gonna be fine.

wendimc

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
I have the iPad Air 1 and that issue does not occur with this model. If anyone is really bothered by this, just get the iPad Air 1 (it really isn't that different).

Swm1982

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
I've got an iPad Air 2 and my screen distorts when pressed from the back on the right hand side.. It doesn't take too much pressure but still more than usual holding. I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to my devices but this isn't really a big deal in my opinion, it doesn't ruin my experience at all. After reading this thread I was worried but after seeing the issue for myself, it's a non issue in my opinion :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.