Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcwacky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
I'm in need of a new printer as my Canon MP600 is slowly giving up the ghost!

It's for home use and my requirements are:
  • Great photo quality for the occasional DSLR print
  • Auto double sided printing
  • Flat bed scanner for occasional document scanning
  • Great Mac compatibility
  • Shall be printing from iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone and PC.
  • I like the idea of 2 paper trays and a rear feeder.
  • Budget of £120 to £180

Unless anyone has any further suggestions, I think I've narrowed it down to either a Canon PIXMA MG7550 or an EPSON Expression Photo XP-760.

I like the Canon as I respect their brand, and have been happy with my MP600. I also have some Canon photo paper and not sure if there will be a profile that I can use to print from the EPSON printer to the Canon paper with maximum accuracy.

However I've found some better reviews for the EPSON, but the interface looks clunkier and I've struggled to find a good video demoing the XP-760.

Any thoughts appreciated!

James

Johnlpi

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2015
After having a horrible customer service experience trying to get a copy of my warranty card, I wouldn't recommend Epson.

An old Canon ink jet that i used to have was very economical on ink and I still have an old monochrome Canon laser that is running strong.

So I say get the Canon.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I'm in need of a new printer as my Canon MP600 is slowly giving up the ghost!

It's for home use and my requirements are:
  • Great photo quality for the occasional DSLR print
  • Auto double sided printing
  • Flat bed scanner for occasional document scanning
  • Great Mac compatibility
  • Shall be printing from iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone and PC.
  • I like the idea of 2 paper trays and a rear feeder.
  • Budget of £120 to £180

Unless anyone has any further suggestions, I think I've narrowed it down to either a Canon PIXMA MG7550 or an EPSON Expression Photo XP-760.

I like the Canon as I respect their brand, and have been happy with my MP600. I also have some Canon photo paper and not sure if there will be a profile that I can use to print from the EPSON printer to the Canon paper with maximum accuracy.

However I've found some better reviews for the EPSON, but the interface looks clunkier and I've struggled to find a good video demoing the XP-760.

Any thoughts appreciated!

James

I have an Epson XP-860 and the photo prints out of it are incredible. No other home printer uses the 6 cartridges (lt cyan and lt magenta), canon uses CYM and two types of black, but in my opinion prints don't look as well. I am using refillable cartridges and ink from ink products.com (no affiliation) and working beautifully. The only downside is that the printer isn't reslly made for high volume use, the paper tray only holds 120 sheets and photo tray only holds 20 sheets. The rear feed is a little flimsy but works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.