Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
Does anyones FW ports work? Bought 2 and neither of the FW ports worked. DOA. The USB 2.0 did, but that's not why I ordered them.
I'm bummed.

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
I have had one for 2 years now. I have it connected to a mini that is used as a media server. There is an OWC Qx2 plugged into the ministack via fw800. Never had a problem with it.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Does anyones FW ports work? Bought 2 and neither of the FW ports worked. DOA. The USB 2.0 did, but that's not why I ordered them.
I'm bummed.

I assume you are connecting to your host computer's FW port. The FW ports don't work through the USB link. Are you using your own cables? Or the ones that came with the unit. Have you tried swapping out cables? Make sure you don't have a faulty cable.

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
I used my cables and their supplied cables. Seeing now that I wasn't completely clear. The cables were plugged into the FW port on my iMac. I had 3 Seagate FW flex-bits and the 2 miniStacks fail out of the box. Had to be the computer, right? AppleCare checked and replaced the logic board and the same thing. Not the computer. I have ordered another FW enclosure to house my drive. We'll see.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I used my cables and their supplied cables. Seeing now that I wasn't completely clear. The cables were plugged into the FW port on my iMac. I had 3 Seagate FW flex-bits and the 2 miniStacks fail out of the box. Had to be the computer, right? AppleCare checked and replaced the logic board and the same thing. Not the computer. I have ordered another FW enclosure to house my drive. We'll see.

In all the years I used FireWire drives, I never had one enclosure fail on me.
I smell a rat, maybe Apple repair technician just told you he replaced the logic board because they could find nothing wrong with it...

Does your iMac have a thunderbolt port? If so, I would consider buying a Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter from apple and try using that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.