Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Unless this is actually affecting swipe gestures I don't see an issue. This could be just for unintentional touches. Apple does something similar with the ipad I think.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Before you get too excited about this phone, you may want to wait to see how bad this hardware issue may be.

Video shows the problem in action. Since it is a hardware problem, there is no software fix for it.

YouTube: video

Quite surprised that any website, especially cult of Android, would post such trash. If they did just the slightest bit of research they would have discovered all Samsung phones have this. It's the same on my Note 4. Try it yourself: *#0*#

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Tell you what. I'm really impressed with the camera on this thing. Was all set to go to next Moto X but I really like the S6 Edge and the camera might swing it for me.

Mega impressed.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Threres no hardware problem.. Its like that on the s4 and s5. Read the comments on the YouTube link u posted.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Tell you what. I'm really impressed with the camera on this thing. Was all set to go to next Moto X but I really like the S6 Edge and the camera might swing it for me.

Mega impressed.

Hasn't the Moto X's camera been a weak point? Or perhaps you meant this year's Moto X.

That camera is a real selling point of the S6 for me as well. I went from my iPhone 6 to the Oneplus, and while I love it, the camera is certainly a step back compared to the iPhone. Would love to return to a reliable/fast camera again but with Android.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hasn't the Moto X's camera been a weak point? Or perhaps you meant this year's Moto X.

That camera is a real selling point of the S6 for me as well. I went from my iPhone 6 to the Oneplus, and while I love it, the camera is certainly a step back compared to the iPhone. Would love to return to a reliable/fast camera again but with Android.
I've been able to take great photos on the 2014 moto x to be honest. I think the camera is grand - my first hand experience and the photographic results I've taken with it are complete opposite to what many reviews said about it. I have some photos untouched in the Motorola X 2014 thread.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
The moto x 2014 can produce good shots but you have to be careful and choose well. It's not great in-doors or in low light. It's also a little slow so grabbing that random shot can be tricky.

Outside in good light it's more than acceptable. I gave my trusty Canon 7D to my son so it's the only camera i have left but find it's (the moto X) sometimes hit or miss.

I do think that the S6 seems to be more than a step ahead of it (and others). Will be interesting to see more detailed reviews in the coming weeks.

I've been able to take great photos on the 2014 moto x to be honest. I think the camera is grand - my first hand experience and the photographic results I've taken with it are complete opposite to what many reviews said about it. I have some photos untouched in the Motorola X 2014 thread.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The moto x 2014 can produce good shots but you have to be careful and choose well. It's not great in-doors or in low light. It's also a little slow so grabbing that random shot can be tricky.

Outside in good light it's more than acceptable. I gave my trusty Canon 7D to my son so it's the only camera i have left but find it's (the moto X) sometimes hit or miss.

I do think that the S6 seems to be more than a step ahead of it (and others). Will be interesting to see more detailed reviews in the coming weeks.

When I get the S6 edge (inevitability) I'll do a comparison of it and the 6+ / Note 4 / Moto X 2014 :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
[Mod Note]

I have removed several posts that are just arguing back and forth without discussing the thread subject. Please stay on topic.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
meh, what's the point, it's designed to not be accessible to the user.

----------

are there any disadvantages to the S6's Super AMOLED screens? Say versus LCD?

people will always say that the AMLOED screens are oversaturated, but at least in the case of the Note 4, they're actually more accurate than many LCDs.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
meh, what's the point, it's designed to not be accessible to the user.

----------

people will always say that the AMLOED screens are oversaturated, but at least in the case of the Note 4, they're actually more accurate than many LCDs.

Yea, and it really isn't a fault of the screen type itself. Rather the software and calibration. For instance my old Note 2 would let you choose between multiple saturation level presets. I could put it on cinema and it looked much more dull yet more accurate.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
are there any disadvantages to the S6's Super AMOLED screens? Say versus LCD?

Its hard to say since these are new panels, but traditionally they are dull whites, increased battery consumption on white colors, burn-in, and not as bright. Also the panels degrade over time.

Advantages are much deeper blacks, greater color range, less battery consumption on dark images, and thinner.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Its hard to say since these are new panels, but traditionally they are dull whites, increased battery consumption on white colors, burn-in, and not as bright. Also the panels degrade over time.

Advantages are much deeper blacks, greater color range, less battery consumption on dark images, and thinner.

I would say they fixed the white issue with the Note 4. Hopefully it's the same on the S6.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The whites aren't bad, but when looking at my note 4 they aren't as bright as my iPhone 6 plus or my One M8, both use LCD.
Yep that's my experience comparing my Note 4 to my 6+

Doesn't seem as bright and whites on the 6+ are a lot whiter. The whites on the Note 4 tend to be yellower - not noticeable in isolation, but compared side by side it is noticeable.

Of course the reverse is also true in that comparing blacks the Note 4 looks real black whereas 6+ dark grey.

After all the debate between the two a while ago, I can honestly say that for me they are much of a muchness for me overall.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yep that's my experience comparing my Note 4 to my 6+

Doesn't seem as bright and whites on the 6+ are a lot whiter. The whites on the Note 4 tend to be yellower - not noticeable in isolation, but compared side by side it is noticeable.

Of course the reverse is also true in that comparing blacks the Note 4 looks real black whereas 6+ dark grey.

After all the debate between the two a while ago, I can honestly say that for me they are much of a muchness for me overall.

I wish instead of only offering pre-configured choices in "Screen Mode", Samsung would also let us create a custom selection that we can fine tune.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wish instead of only offering pre-configured choices in "Screen Mode", Samsung would also let us create a custom selection that we can fine tune.
True, but at least it's better than the moto X which has no options at all and could really benefit from something to adjust it's colour & saturation. As much as I like the Moto X it's screen calibration and over saturation annoy me.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I would say they fixed the white issue with the Note 4. Hopefully it's the same on the S6.

My Note 4 is quite good. I do like the color balance of Samsung displays just a little better than my iPhone 6 Plus. Not much, just enough to satisfy my personal preferences. We're at a point with top of the line smartphones currently where the differences are rather minimal. They're all quite good, just some happen to be a bit better.

Then if we factor in the pros and cons of each platform, often the differences in displays aren't what makes or breaks our choice. I do believe that personal preferences are the deciding factor now more than ever. Frankly I've removed that hurdle by using both Android and iOS platforms concurrently. It's fun, educational and never boring.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Erica Griffin has posted a video regarding the 6 & 6 edge regarding screen and usability.

Galaxy S6 vs Galaxy S6 Edge: Usability: http://youtu.be/1L3VsVZxE28

I think the color shifting on the edges would be very distracting. Also I think the distortion would be annoying. It looks strange to me seeing the edges curve in the notification bar, and videos and pictures curving would be distracting. After seeing that video I will definately go with the S6 and not the S6 Edge.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think the color shifting on the edges would be very distracting. Also I think the distortion would be annoying. It looks strange to me seeing the edges curve in the notification bar, and videos and pictures curving would be distracting. After seeing that video I will definately go with the S6 and not the S6 Edge.

It's certainly made me want to see one in person before purchasing....

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Here's another camera test, this time between the GS6, iPhone 6, and One M9. The iPhone and GS6 go back and forth on who took the best shot, while the M9 came in third every single time. Feel bad for HTC, I really hope they can sort out the camera with an update.

http://youtu.be/UrMso9wbSr4

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.