Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
The Nando Times was the first web site I visited with regularity. It was a decent news site that went defunct long ago.

At the time, I was using a browser called (I think) WinWeb.

I can't even remember the newsgroups bulletin boards I visited in the Archie/Gopher days.

What was your first favorite web site?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The Nando Times was the first web site I visited with regularity. It was a decent news site that went defunct long ago.

At the time, I was using a browser called (I think) WinWeb.

I can't even remember the newsgroups bulletin boards I visited in the Archie/Gopher days.

What was your first favorite web site?

Isn't it about time you cleared your internet history? Because I can't possibly think of anyway else you could remember!
I'd guess at probably an AOL home page or something.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I can't remember what I did in the AOL days. I guess their home page was my first. But really, the first websites I visit almost every day are this one, warmingglow and filmdrunk. Used to visit WWDD everyday but they switched writers a bit ago and I don't like the new one.

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney
IMDB and its pre-cursor on rec.arts.movies. I still remember when the lists got that very first search facility.

Am I showing my age?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I didn't have a lot of bookmarked sites, and the only one I recall was AltaVista.com. I'd have to dig the file of bookmarks out of some ancient pillar of backup CD-Rs.

Another was probably some Mac file-sharing site where the files were in MacBinary or BinHex format. All I recall of that is I was profoundly grateful to upgrade my modem to 9600 baud.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I started with AOL 2.0. Either the AOL classifieds or chat rooms were my first frequently visited areas.

As far as actual web sites go it would be Webcrawler or some adult web site. I had AOL for a couple of years before I connected to the rest of the internet. I can't recall if AOL would not work as an ISP for web browsers at the time or if I simply wasn't aware that I could use Internet Explorer or Netscape. Perhaps it's just that browsers weren't free yet so I didn't have one.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Compuserve before the web, then BBS (again before the web ;) ).

To be honest, I don't recall having an oft visited site once the internet as we now know it came to be.

Berlepsch

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
My faculty and university home pages. With most others sites (probably a few 1000 at that time), much time was spent looking at
Code:
 HTTP request sent. Waiting for reply...
and
Code:
 x kBytes of XXX kBytes received...
messages in the browser.

I remember when the IT department proudly announced that they would upgrade the external connection to 2 Mb/s. That was for the whole university, obviously.

waynerbbx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Oh gosh.... I have no clue. Probably ask jeeves, I remember using... I know that my computer was too slow to do youtube, so I didn't do that.... I think that I spent a good bit of time on imdb, and there was a thing called imsdb (internet movie script database) that might still be around, but I remember thinking that it was quite cool.

I remember being afraid of ebay (still am a little).

I remember scheming about amazon- how if you spent $25 or more, you got free shipping. I didn't know at the time that that was meant for only items fulfilled by amazon, and I had intentions of buying 2,500 1 cent books to get the free shipping, and then make a killing with yard sales. (I was young)

I don't really remember much else about the internet back then, other than it was really slow, and the phone couldn't be used at the same time.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
AOL & MSN. I remember clicking on a page, then going and doing something while it loaded the page. Same thing over and over everytime you clicked on a new link. Man dial-up was something else for the first couple of years. The cost of small town living.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
When I was about 8 or 9 I became fascinated with death and found a website called Ogrish.com (NSFW!!!!!) which showed scenes from war, accidents and other incidents of people dying. I was fascinated (and rather revolted at the same time).

The original site seems to be down now but there also seem to be copy cat sites still around. If you look at them make sure you have a strong stomach :).

I also spent a lot of time on Excite which was the best search engine I found before Google existed (I guess Yahoo was the other option).

Other than that I spent most of my time looking at Gopher sites, Usenet newsgroups and IRC.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
When I was about 8 or 9 I became fascinated with death and found a website called Ogrish.com (NSFW!!!!!) which showed scenes from war, accidents and other incidents of people dying. I was fascinated (and rather revolted at the same time).

The original site seems to be down now but there also seem to be copy cat sites still around. If you look at them make sure you have a strong stomach :).

I also spent a lot of time on Excite which was the best search engine I found before Google existed (I guess Yahoo was the other option).

Other than that I spent most of my time looking at Gopher sites, Usenet newsgroups and IRC.

That most certainly sounds like something that you would visit!

To be honest, I really can't recall. I never had a lot of interest in the Internet until I discovered some NSFW content. My most regular sites were MySpace, IRQ, and whatnot.

It wasn't until the early Google days that I really began exploring a little more. My most popular website by far has been MacRumors - which is obvious given my post count and regularity. :) Till death do us part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.