Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I was being facetious.

They're experiencing failure just by design. But they are designed to be an infrastructure rather than a profitable business. Having to have a post office in every town/too many post offices. Fixed Pricing. The requirement to deliver everywhere in the US. Etc. And then of course you have your pensions.

----------

I think USPS would "appear" better if they improved their tracking program.

You mean the pensions that Congress forced USPS to fund 75 years in advance, something no other company does. The USPS is funding pensions for employees that haven't even been born yet. Or as a former professor of mine would say: they're funding pensions for employees that aren't even a dirty thought in their parents' drunken minds yet.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
USPS is not supported by taxpayer funding.

They take no tax dollars for operating expenses. So when the government gives cash infusions into the Postal Service to cover their debts that money ultimately comes from?

And everybody is ignoring everything I wrote before the pensions sentence? Haha. I'm not saying we should let the post office go bankrupt and not pay out it's employees. I'm just stating the fact they're in massive debt and I am jokingly suggesting if they didn't send my package on a vacation around Hawaii maybe that debt would be infinitesimally smaller.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Did the seller reply?

He did. He confirmed he sent it to the right address and it's the only package he had to send out. He suggested we wait a few days to see what happens with it, which sounds reasonable to me. If it gets delivered in Hawaii then we know there is an issue. If heads back to the continental US then we know it's (God willing) on the right track.

Can someone actually do anything with the tracking number, other than to know the approximate location of the package?
I suppose if someone knew where I lived they could follow the tracking information and wait outside my door for it to be delivered.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
For all the recent usage of USPS by Amazon for delivery, any returns I've shipped that is paid for by Amazon is by UPS at Amazon's suggestion.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
This happens to me more and more. The Christmas box my mother sent from Wisconsin to Norway this last year went via Canada and Turkey. :eek:

So far, everything's gotten here, but the routes the packages take are weirder and weirder. I like what someone else posted - packages on vacation. Wish they at least took pics.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This happens to me more and more. The Christmas box my mother sent from Wisconsin to Norway this last year went via Canada and Turkey. :eek:

So far, everything's gotten here, but the routes the packages take are weirder and weirder. I like what someone else posted - packages on vacation. Wish they at least took pics.

Going through Canada coming from Wisconsin makes sense. Toronto or Montreal seem like logical stops from Wisconsin to Europe. It probably went from Wisconsin to a big city in eastern Canada to join more packages heading to Europe. Turkey isn't as explainable, but at that point, I'm sure it's out of USPS's hands.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Ok, still no update from the tracker.

It has departed Honolulu at least 4 times. I looked this phenomenon up and apparently this likely means its being rerouted through different areas of the shipping facility.

The last update
USPS XXXX06623, Departed USPS Facility 03/05/2015 10:26pm HONOLULU HI 96820

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Going through Canada coming from Wisconsin makes sense. Toronto or Montreal seem like logical stops from Wisconsin to Europe. It probably went from Wisconsin to a big city in eastern Canada to join more packages heading to Europe. Turkey isn't as explainable, but at that point, I'm sure it's out of USPS's hands.

You'd think Canada would be a reasonable stop, I agree. The thing is that it's only been once that the routing info of one of these packages has shown Canada as part of the route - and I'm taking about 27 years of several packages a year.

It's possible that the time in Turkey was out of the carrier's hands, but they're ultimately responsible for getting the shipment to me.

Like I say, my packages have always arrived. But the routes have suddenly gotten weirder the last two years.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Ok, I have some good news, though I am cautiously optimistic, hoping the package ins't torn to shreds.

Alas, the packaged ordered with 2 day shipping is set to arrive 9 days later!

Update: Package Arrived

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 10.51.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 10.51.03 AM.png
    91 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Reactions: TheAppleFairy

temorwo

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
I have a problem package with USPS right now also . I won a computer off ebay it shipped Dec 30's it's been to Dubai 3 times NY 4 times and Chicago once. I started an IG case before it's last trip to Dubai, the case was marked complete but it never made it here and went back to Dubai. liteblue My computer must really like sunny Dubai. :rolleyes:
I love usps services. They are delivering products on time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.