Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waynerbbx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
I totally get what you are saying and agree that there is often a double standard when it comes to "violence is okay, but no nudity, blah, blah, blah". I think for me personally the line has something to do with the "unneccesary" aspect of it that we find in media these days. And, I'm speaking of both sexuality/sensuality and violence here.

Realism has it's place and as our friend waynerbbx said, "the less-is-more approach is more relevant than we might think". The point can be made without graphic visuals or language. Sticking with Kingsmen since it is the movie we are discussing, the princess stuff at the end was totaly over the top and "unneccesary". Likewise, the earlier scene where the agent was literally, cut in half, was also over the top and "unneccessary". For me personally, there are times when choices like this in a movie do detract from my overall enjoyment of the film and for sure put movies into a category that makes them off limits to my kids.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a great example of what I'm saying about my children. My oldest son is crazy about superheroes and Guardians is a movie that I was considering allowing him to watch when it came out on video. However, they chose to put a few "over the top" scenes in terms of language and visuals that in my opinion disqualify it from adolescent/early teen age consumption. When I see things like that I wonder why the writers/directors/producers chose to limit their audience for, what seems to me, an "unneccessary" reason.

I suppose in negation of what I said earlier, While there is an increased demand of "quality" less is more type of films, there STILL are the folks that will only go to the movies if there is nudity and excessive violence. (Case in point-- the Saw series). It would be nice if movies that are pretty much children friendly except for ONE nude scene would just restrain themselves. Full nudity has never been required to tell a story.

I guess I shouldn't be a bigot about the matter, though. It's just a movie, and at the end of the day, it's just someone else's artist vision, and they obviously make stylistic and content decisions that will maximize profit while staying true to a certain aesthetic. We just pay our ten bucks or stay home.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I totally get what you are saying and agree that there is often a double standard when it comes to "violence is okay, but no nudity, blah, blah, blah". I think for me personally the line has something to do with the "unneccesary" aspect of it that we find in media these days. And, I'm speaking of both sexuality/sensuality and violence here.

Realism has it's place and as our friend waynerbbx said, "the less-is-more approach is more relevant than we might think". The point can be made without graphic visuals or language. Sticking with Kingsmen since it is the movie we are discussing, the princess stuff at the end was totaly over the top and "unneccesary". Likewise, the earlier scene where the agent was literally, cut in half, was also over the top and "unneccessary". For me personally, there are times when choices like this in a movie do detract from my overall enjoyment of the film and for sure put movies into a category that makes them off limits to my kids.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a great example of what I'm saying about my children. My oldest son is crazy about superheroes and Guardians is a movie that I was considering allowing him to watch when it came out on video. However, they chose to put a few "over the top" scenes in terms of language and visuals that in my opinion disqualify it from adolescent/early teen age consumption. When I see things like that I wonder why the writers/directors/producers chose to limit their audience for, what seems to me, an "unneccessary" reason.

I agree that neither scene/event added to the film, the former was stupid the way it happened, and the latter demeaned the film by shifting it towards the realm of gutter sex comedy aka Austin Powers, and away from the positive spy vibe. :)

Last edited:

a.guillermo

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2015
Didn't watch anything last night... :( oh well, I suppose there are worse things that can happen to a person.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Looking forward to "Chappie" when it hits the cinema's here in Belgium.
After "District 9" and "Elysium", the tandem Neill Blomkamp and Sharito Copley can't do anything wrong with me.

I agree with you completely on District 9, but Elysium was one of my biggest movie disappointments of 2013.

Sharito Copley as Agent Kruger and William Fichtner as Industrial John Carlyle stole the show.

Matt Damon, Jodie Foster and Alice Braga performances were indeed 'blank', but I liked the atmosphere and visuals of the movie.

Neill Blomkamp Admits He "****ed It Up" With Elysium

I almost want to go back and do it correctly.

Personally, I think this is a very promising sign for the quality of Chappie. I admire the fact that a director is willing to admit his mistakes and therefore hopefully learn from them and apply that to his future projects.

Oops... looks like I spoke to soon. Reviews for Chappie are tanking.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Artist and The Model (2012, French)- Atmospheric, subtle drama set during WWII. If "action" is important to you, there is no real action just nudity. I liked it. :)

hero_ArtistandtheModel-2013-1.jpg

Last edited:

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
saw this movie on Crackle. im a movie buff and this movie is awesome, cant believe i havent seen it earlier. love the 80's undertone that it has.

Attachments

• i_driveposter1.jpg
    i_driveposter1.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 74

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Last night I watched The Woman in Black starring the Harry Potter guy.

It sucked. Predictable jump scares, clichéd ghost children, somnambulistic Daniel Radcliffe, the plot hardly followed the (excellent!) book, and the ending was idiotic. The best I can say was the set decoration was really good. Alarmingly, there is a sequel out there.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last night I watched The Woman in Black starring the Harry Potter guy.

It sucked. Predictable jump scares, clichéd ghost children, somnambulistic Daniel Radcliffe, the plot hardly followed the (excellent!) book, and the ending was idiotic. The best I can say was the set decoration was really good. Alarmingly, there is a sequel out there.

I wonder if Radcliffe will last?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Oblivion on HBOGo. I don't consider myself a Tom Cruise fan but I always end up really enjoying his scifi flicks and this is no exception. Edge of Tomorrow (also on HBOGo) I felt was pretty good too.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Currently watching one of my favourites, Gladiator .

When I first saw this movie I predicted Best Picture! :)

Oblivion on HBOGo. I don't consider myself a Tom Cruise fan but I always end up really enjoying his scifi flicks and this is no exception. Edge of Tomorrow (also on HBOGo) I felt was pretty good too.

For TC, I recently enjoyed both that and Night and Day.

While Papillon is showing on BBC2? Philistine!

I thought the book was better...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I want to see again 2006's "The Lives of Others", starring Ulrich Mühe, Sebastian Koch, and Martina Gedeck. Blew me away the first time I saw it years ago.

In 1984 East Berlin, a Stasi secret policeman is doing surveillance on a writer and his lover, and finding himself becoming increasingly absorbed in their lives. This was a guy who the movie sets up as brutally efficient and impenetrable in the beginning. And stuff happens as the more emotional he gets.

"The Lives Of Others" is a terrific movie. Absolutely first class. Ulrich Mühe was outstanding but all of the cast were superb, and the movie was seriously thought-provoking.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Treasure Island (1990, repeat)- Charlton Heston, Christian Bale, Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee. I love this movie, the script, the story, the atmosphere. It feels like traveling back in time. :)

treasure-island7.jpg

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Despite the poor reviews, I thought Chappie was pretty good and entertaining. Its very familiar as a Neill Blomkamp film and I recognized Sharlto Copley voice as Chappie. I thought parts were really funny and the ending was very satisfying.

It was way way better than Kingsman which scores a 74% Go figure.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Kon-Tiki (2012)- Interesting adventure based on the real story of Thor Heyerdahl and his 1947 quest to prove that Polynesia could have been populated by Peruvians floating on a raft.

kon_tiki_film_poster_art_boat_whale_sea.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.