Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
I have a T3... great enclosure, but one complaint. CalDigit tries to stop you from putting your own drives in, as the drives are mounted to the sleds using some kind of special Torx screw that has a little nub in the center that stops you from using a regular Torx bit.

In my case, I wanted to install my own drives from the very beginning, but other users might one day find themselves in a situation where a RAID drive has suddenly failed and needs immediate replacement (for my various NAS boxes, I always keep an extra drive or two on hand for this very reason). But with the CalDigit enclosure, you'd find yourself unable to replace the drive until you located one of these obscure "Torx Security" screwdrivers (I found one at Harbor Freight Tools).

I certainly understand CalDigit taking a no-support position if you replace drives, but I found it very annoying that they took this step to actively prevent you from doing so (which was only difficult enough to be annoying, so what did they accomplish?). The expectation is that you will purchase complete "modules" from CalDigit that consist of a drive and sled assembly.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
I have the T3 and love it. Better than any over priced junk out there and way better than the poorly built, smelly OWC Thunderbay which I did try.

I removed my drives and replaced them with my own. The torx isn't hard to find. Many on amazon now have the hole in the middle to work with security torx screws. Not selling the enclosure without drives is a minor annoyance but the built quality and very reasonable price absolutely out weighs it.

TUAW just reviewed the T4 as well.

mintakax

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
I have the T3 and love it. Better than any over priced junk out there and way better than the poorly built, smelly OWC Thunderbay which I did try.

I removed my drives and replaced them with my own. The torx isn't hard to find. Many on amazon now have the hole in the middle to work with security torx screws. Not selling the enclosure without drives is a minor annoyance but the built quality and very reasonable price absolutely out weighs it.

TUAW just reviewed the T4 as well.

+1 on the OWC

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I had a T3 that was a dog, and a current OWC TB4 that is a much better product in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.