Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I am also interested in if a 2012 cMacPro with a Nvidia GTX 680 4GB card can drive it and at what frequency (60 hz)? DisplayPort 1.2?

Thanks...

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
Still looking, but signs for the older Pro don't look good:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6741946

Jan 2, 2015 5:23 AM
Re: MacPro hexacoeur AMD firepro D500 with Dell up2715k compatibility? in response to Leoi777
"Waiting for the Dell 5K monitor?
We don’t know whether it will work with the current Mac Pro yet. Just like the theoretical Apple external 5K monitor, it will rely on tricks like MST to be treated as one big monitor, which may be unsupported or buggy on the Mac Pro.

----------

From an Ama*on.com review:

No doubt - well made, beautiful picture, minimal glare, no obvious dead pixels. Instructions are a bit minimal, but not too hard to figure out how to set it up. Internet (not Dell !) is helpful for information. As noted you will get no hand-holding from Dell. Their web site, worse their support techs have no clue! My intention with this monitor was to run it with a late 2013 Mac Pro (AMD FirePro 700 GPU). This has been a long strange trip! Image is fine grained and beautiful, but no 5K. Best I can get is about 4K. (3840x2160@60Hz). Using 2 cables as suggested by Dell to overcome the Display Port 1.2 inability to carry 5K - doesn't work. I'm currently using one cable and for general computing, 1920x1080 is sharp and perfectly adequate for most of my needs. I should note that I called Apple and spoke with 2 techs. One billed himself as the senior tech on duty. Unfortunately, no help here either. The video driver to combine the feeds on this card doesn't exist as yet. Strange that AMD has released an update to one of its PC retail cards that will permit exactly what I want. Maybe Apple will come along? More likely they will wait for DP1.3 (ThunderBolt 3) and then come out with a new MacPro and a new monitor to take advantage of this so as to provide 5K.

I'm starting to think NO is the correct answer right now. Only the 5K Retina iMac can run OSX at 5K right now (Feb 2015) it appears.

----------

Can the Late 2013 Mac Pro drive it?

My best efforts indicate everyone reporting a fail.

I think DP 1.3 in future Apple products is what will be needed for this monitor.

You CAN however, run it at 4K. :D :apple:

More: http://lcds.macrumors.com/

"As a result, no current Mac, including the Mac Pro and Retina MacBook Pro models that do support 4K displays, can currently drive a 5K external display. Technically, Apple could allow another Mac to output video at a lower resolution and have the Retina iMac scale the content up to fit its display, but this would not be ideal and Apple has apparently elected not to support it as an option."

Last edited:

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois

Re: MacPro hexacoeur AMD firepro D500 with Dell up2715k compatibility? in response to Leoi777
We don’t know whether it will work with the current Mac Pro yet. Just like the theoretical Apple external 5K monitor, it will rely on tricks like MST to be treated as one big monitor, which may be unsupported or buggy on the Mac Pro.

----------

I'm starting to think NO is the correct answer right now. Only the 5K Retina iMac can run OSX at 5K right now (Feb 2015) it appears.

----------

I think DP 1.3 in future Apple products is what will be needed for this monitor.

"As a result, no current Mac, including the Mac Pro and Retina MacBook Pro models that do support 4K displays, can currently drive a 5K external display. Technically, Apple could allow another Mac to output video at a lower resolution and have the Retina iMac scale the content up to fit its display, but this would not be ideal and Apple has apparently elected not to support it as an option."

I would have to assume it's on Apple to make it work via drivers? If OS X isn't setup to send two mDP signals to a single display then you'll just get the max UHD resolution one mDP cable can provide.

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
I would have to assume it's on Apple to make it work via drivers? If OS X isn't setup to send two mDP signals to a single display then you'll just get the max UHD resolution one mDP cable can provide.

I think so. But they are worried, I think, about the performance @ 5K on existing hardware, and would probably prefer to wait until DP 1.3 is available on their devices, and maybe even TB 3.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I think so. But they are worried, I think, about the performance @ 5K on existing hardware, and would probably prefer to wait until DP 1.3 is available on their devices, and maybe even TB 3.

It's theoretically just a driver update but we can only guess as to if or when that would happen. Using two mDP cables to run one 5K MST monitor wouldn't strain the nMP at all, it's less bandwidth than running two 4K monitors which the nMP currently does with no problems. AMDs latest Windows drivers already have 5K MST support, but Apple hasn't incorporated it into OSX yet (nor do I think they've included the new AMD drivers in Bootcamp update yet).

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011

----------

----------

Well, in that case the P2715Q seems to make more sense, no?

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
Well, in that case the P2715Q seems to make more sense, no?

Unless you are a very rich person running WINDOWS on your system, I would strongly advise against anyone buying the UP2715K for use on a mac.

The P2715Q is about 1/3 the price and is completely compatible with the Mac operating systems.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
We have a few ... basically, only get this if you use Windows

On OSX, it doesn't make sense yet since limited to 4k and no reason to buy a 5k display to get 4k. At 2560, 'retina' Dell is worse than a TBD. I have taken the glass off my TBD.

Now, on Windows the display is super clear at 5k.

First, DL the updated AMD boot camp driver - http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp - I have 3 displays all working at 60hz in native resolutions - 2 UP2715K at 5k and 1 P2715Q at 4k in boot camp.

Note, before I installed the new driver, I could only get 1 UP2715K to work and only in the bottom (horizontal) bus. If I connected more than 1, or used another TB bus, I was resolution limited or stuck with a non working display.

Last edited:

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Dell 5K running at 5K on our 2010 Mac Pro

Our 2010 Mac Pro tower is driving a Dell 5K display at 5120x2880 --- just like the iMac 5K. And when you set it to 2560x1440, it scales in 'retina' mode just like the iMac 5K.

All you need is the latest NVIDIA web driver released today, some boot-args in nvram, and a GeForce GTX 980 connected to the Dell 5K display with the dual DisplayPort cables that come with the display. Oh yes, and you need at least one finger to power cycle the display. Read all about it:

http://barefeats.com/mpt5k.html

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Now, on Windows, display is super clear at 5k, but you can only use 1 of these displays, and it has to be plugged into the bottom (horizontal) bus. If you connect more than 1, or if you use another TB bus, you'll either be resolution limited or completely not working.

Anyone know why? I'd love to have 3 of these working under Windows.

Just to clarify, this is an nMP and you're Bootcamped into Windows and you're driving 5K @ 60Hz by plugging both miniDp cables into the same TB bus (the bottom TB port pair)?

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Yes to all 3

That's very strange but potentially good news. It doesn't exactly conform to the generally assumed way nMP Thunderbolt busses work, so it opens the door to the idea that the nMP could drive multiple 5K displays at some point, assuming Apple ever releases a driver update to support the 5K MST these monitors use. For Windows, are you using the latest AMD Catalyst Omega drivers?

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
But why only the horizontal/bottom bus?

For drivers, no, using what boot camp installs but may try omega, assume this is a beta release?

I have no idea why only the bottom bus works, hence my comment that it doesn't conform to the way people think the bus works :)

The Catalyst Omega drivers came out in December and they were supposed to introduce support for the new 5K MST monitors and my understanding is that they're not yet in Bootcamp, but I could be wrong about that.

MrJandali

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2013
I´ve had the UP2715k perfectly working on 5k/60Hz in Bootcamp Windows with a second 1440p display on my nMP (2013) D700. But as soon as I plugged of the second display heavy graphical glitches appeared while moving windows - a driver issue. And yes, I am running the latest 14.12 Omega driver, which can be installed easily if you know how.

Now it would be great to know if the 10.10.3 beta adds 5k support finally.... It´s time, really...

GeJe

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
Marseille, FRANCE
yourself tested?

this topic in apple support page (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6984465) , open today, people are saying q does not work

Indeed. Just posted a reply there, thanks for reporting.

----------

Can you post a screenshot ?
Feast your eyes.
Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202015-04-10%20%C3%A0%2022.26.20.png

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202015-04-10%20%C3%A0%2022.28.13.png

(Of course I’m running in HiDPI, hence the reported selected resolution)

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Indeed. Just posted a reply there, thanks for reporting.

----------

Feast your eyes.
(Of course I’m running in HiDPI, hence the reported selected resolution)

You don't have a P27 to test against, do you? Would it be possible for an OSX update to make the UP27 clearer in OSX?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.