Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I just spent a few minutes typing up a response to a PM I'd received, and saw the below page when I attempted to respond.

I've sent hundreds of PMs on this site, and exchanged multiple PMs with this particular member(he is one of my friends on the site). I had originally included a link to a page at OWC(which I wouldn't think would be a problem) in my PM. I tried deleting the link and resending, but still got the same error.

Any idea about what's going on?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.13.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.13.03 PM.png
    333.6 KB · Views: 151

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Okay, to extend things a little bit further-

I was just able to reply to a different member without any trouble.

I tried answering the initial PM that prompted this post again, and got the same error as pictured. I tried sending a new PM to that member(not replying to the existing one) and got the same response.

As I said, the member I'm having trouble sending a message to is on my friend list, and is someone with whom I've exchanged a number of PMs in the past.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Send me a PM with the name of the member you are trying to message and I'll ask the site admins to take a look at this for you.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
This same issue popped up again a few minutes ago when I was attempting to post a new thread.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.19.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.19.21 PM.png
    329.8 KB · Views: 99

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I finally got the thread posted, but ended up doing it piece-meal.

It would give me the above error when I posted about buying RAM. I tried to past that section of the post here, but it also kicked back the same error. I did originally mention a well-known company that supplies parts for old(and current) Macs, but edited the statement I made to exclude a vendor reference. I finally had to reword it completely to get it to go through.

In any case, the original PM that started all of this also mentioned the same vendor as a potential source for a replacement battery. I'm wondering if that's the issue, although I've seen the vendor mentioned plenty of times on this website.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Can one of the mods/admins provide some insight as to why the below block of text might be found to be objectionable by the forum software?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 11.24.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 11.24.42 AM.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 86

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can one of the mods/admins provide some insight as to why the below block of text might be found to be objectionable by the forum software?

Just to confirm, you are using the same machine with Firefox from the previous screenshot?

So you cannot make a forum post that mentions OWC and if you remove OWC, it goes through?

What's up with the green text underlines in your screenshot there? I wonder if you have some sort of adware installed that is causing the green underlines and also this posting problem?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just to confirm, you are using the same machine with Firefox from the previous screenshot?

So you cannot make a forum post that mentions OWC and if you remove OWC, it goes through?

What's up with the green text underlines in your screenshot there? I wonder if you have some sort of adware installed that is causing the green underlines and also this posting problem?

Yes, this is all happening on the same computer-a Macbook Pro running 10.9. I tried the same post with Safari, and got the same error.

The green underlines are because after the post didn't go through, I copied and pasted it into Word. I spent a long time writing it, so didn't want to lose it. The above screen cap was taken in Word. I tried copying and pasting it into this post, and it was still kicked back.

At one point, I'd edited that block of text to omit the mention of OWC-I just changed to say something like "these are available online" without referencing a specific vendor. I finally edited it to read

1. A large amount of RAM. The system has 8 RAM slots, and each can hold a 128mb stick. The 128mb sticks are available for about $10 each. I'll probably also order a few for my 9600.

And it went through.

Here's the full post

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1865395/

At this point, I'm just curious about why the above text caused the issues I was having.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
At one point, I'd edited that block of text to omit the mention of OWC-I just changed to say something like "these are available online" without referencing a specific vendor.

At this point, I'm just curious about why the above text caused the issues I was having.

Odd. As you see, I can mention OWC with no issues.

Doctor Q is subscribed to your thread here, so let's see if he has any ideas. I have not seen reports from anybody else with this issue though.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Odd. As you see, I can mention OWC with no issues.

Doctor Q is subscribed to your thread here, so let's see if he has any ideas. I have not seen reports from anybody else with this issue though.

Thanks-as I said at this point I'm more curious about what of the above was triggering this error so that I can avoid it in the future.

I thought it might be something to do with OWC, since the PM that gave me trouble a while back also discussed them as a source for a replacement battery. Obviously, mentioning OWC itself isn't a problem, as you and I both have mentioned them numerous times in this thread.

I can't imagine that listing the specifications for RAM and mentioning how many I was going to buy would be an issue either, unless I'd inadvertently tripped some sort of spam filter or something in the way I phrased it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.