Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Unbelievable, huh?

Samsung Fan From the Past:
"Apple sucks because they are too expensive. The iPhone is way overpriced for what you get"

Samsung Fan From the Present:
"Samsung phones are priced just right - you get what you paid for"

"The iPhone sucks because of limited storage"

"Removing the SD slot is a great idea. The base S6 starts at 32GB while the iPhone starts at 16GB - what a great win for Samsung"

"Haha, iPhone users are forced to hug outlets. I can just change my battery."

"I can charge my phone magically without wires or electricity. Removable batteries are so overrated"

Nice post!!

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Again, it's almost certainly not the same people contradicting themselves, but Samsung as a company is definitely pretty hilarious with their 180.

I am not impressed with their 180.

seriously, if I saw both these devices, and given now that the S6 wont have SD card or removable battery, that is just now TWO less reasons / options / features of the Samsung device that had the potential of swaying users.

I'd be going with the iPhone6 if these were my only options
(seriously, I am so dissapointed by both Samsung and HTC at MWC that I am seriously considering the 6, I'm just trying to get over the iOS hurdle mentally)

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I am not impressed with their 180.

seriously, if I saw both these devices, and given now that the S6 wont have SD card or removable battery, that is just now TWO less reasons / options / features of the Samsung device that had the potential of swaying users.

I'd be going with the iPhone6 if these were my only options
(seriously, I am so dissapointed by both Samsung and HTC at MWC that I am seriously considering the 6, I'm just trying to get over the iOS hurdle mentally)

I'm sure you're not alone. People make fun in this thread, but there were definitely legitimate Samsung users who wanted the sd card and removable battery and now the option is gone. While the average consumer most probably doesn't know or care, there will definitely be people considering the competition like yourself.

I'm with you on the "ios hurdle"...I love the ipad but I don't think I could go back to the iPhone. Will probably stick with the g3 until another android phone strikes my fancy.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I'm sure you're not alone. People make fun in this thread, but there were definitely legitimate Samsung users who wanted the sd card and removable battery and now the option is gone. While the average consumer most probably doesn't know or care, there will definitely be people considering the competition like yourself.

I'm with you on the "ios hurdle"...I love the ipad but I don't think I could go back to the iPhone. Will probably stick with the g3 until another android phone strikes my fancy.

I was honestly expecting HTC for their 3rd gen of the One M9 to shake things up.

they had potential. They had hype. They had leaked renders of devices that people were literally drooling over.

And then they announced a device that looked and fundamentally was identical to the M8, with bug fixes. they fixed the camera and made it average and on par with current makers, and upgraded the internals to todays standards for Android, which will put it on par with performance of this generation.

but outside of that, the things that grab attention, they did absolutely zero new. people wanted an updated design to make the device more reasonable for the display. they changed nothing. same black HTC bar with no purpose. same size borders around the same 1080p display.

think about it. if you were a consumer today and you heard "HTC" and went to the store to buy a phone.

you were shown the M8 for .99 on contract or the M9 for 199.99 on contract, there is virtually NOTHING in the M9 to sell itself over the m8. In fact, an uneducated consumer would likely go for the cheaper, m8, because it is cheaper, and hey, it has TWO cameras on the back!

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I was honestly expecting HTC for their 3rd gen of the One M9 to shake things up.

they had potential. They had hype. They had leaked renders of devices that people were literally drooling over.

And then they announced a device that looked and fundamentally was identical to the M8, with bug fixes. they fixed the camera and made it average and on par with current makers, and upgraded the internals to todays standards for Android, which will put it on par with performance of this generation.

but outside of that, the things that grab attention, they did absolutely zero new. people wanted an updated design to make the device more reasonable for the display. they changed nothing. same black HTC bar with no purpose. same size borders around the same 1080p display.

think about it. if you were a consumer today and you heard "HTC" and went to the store to buy a phone.

you were shown the M8 for .99 on contract or the M9 for 199.99 on contract, there is virtually NOTHING in the M9 to sell itself over the m8. In fact, an uneducated consumer would likely go for the cheaper, m8, because it is cheaper, and hey, it has TWO cameras on the back!

Yeah I was pretty thrown by the m9. I had the m7, then went to the g3. I had considered the m9 when I heard the hype but after the announcement it was stale.

Hearing the g4 will be great, but we'll see. I think my next purchase will probably be a smartwatch. Keep trying to convince myself I want one

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah I was pretty thrown by the m9. I had the m7, then went to the g3. I had considered the m9 when I heard the hype but after the announcement it was stale.

Hearing the g4 will be great, but we'll see. I think my next purchase will probably be a smartwatch. Keep trying to convince myself I want one

saw that. LG will have to figure out how to make their devices "premium" feeling. they're still stuck in samsungs old "shiny plastic" motiff

I've had that. I broke my Note II cause it was literally so slippery it would just fly out of my hands. that and it was way too big for my hands.

I bought a stopgap N5, and while i'm impressed by it's speed, performance and the build quality is good, it was meant only to tide me over till i found a flagship device that was top of the line premium quality in feel, and performance.

so far, HTC and Samsung haven't really tickled that fancy, not like the iPhone6 has from a design aesthetic

I think for the smartwatch I'll wait till V2.0's from both Apple and Android. So far the designs are just not, meh

The Huawei Android wear device IMHO is the best looking one. But looks aint everything.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
There was a time when I thought the iPhone 4S was the most stunning looking mobile phone ever made.

No longer...It has been dethroned, and not by Apple.

sm-g925f_014_r-front-dynamic_gold_platinum_770x433_acf_cropped-770x433.jpg

Good Job Samsung!!!

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
saw that. LG will have to figure out how to make their devices "premium" feeling. they're still stuck in samsungs old "shiny plastic" motiff

I've had that. I broke my Note II cause it was literally so slippery it would just fly out of my hands. that and it was way too big for my hands.

I bought a stopgap N5, and while i'm impressed by it's speed, performance and the build quality is good, it was meant only to tide me over till i found a flagship device that was top of the line premium quality in feel, and performance.

so far, HTC and Samsung haven't really tickled that fancy, not like the iPhone6 has from a design aesthetic

I think for the smartwatch I'll wait till V2.0's from both Apple and Android. So far the designs are just not, meh

The Huawei Android wear device IMHO is the best looking one. But looks aint everything.

Good point on the premium feel of lg phones, they make good devices but
Yeah have that cheap feel. I'm still steering clear of Samsung and htc though.

Yeah I've got my eye on the huawei, and that's based solely on it's looks. I will play around with it before making the decision.

There was a time when I thought the iPhone 4S was the most stunning looking mobile phone ever made.

Good Job Samsung!!!

It is a great looking device, I think I just have this internal hatred for Samsung lol. Can't explain it. Samsung and Jony Ive. Annoy the crap outta me!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Good Job Samsung!!!

Yes, the a edge is very good looking, but I'm quite sure in my hand would not be so beautiful.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Samsung Announces Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge and Samsung Pay

Nope different devices already had no sliding fingerprint readers like the Moto Atrix.

Please do your research before you post on innacurate info. The Moto Atrix required sliding your finger. I know. I had one.

happosai

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
The Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge will be available April 10 across several countries worldwide in White Pearl, Black Sapphire, and Gold Platinum color options. A special Blue Topaz edition will be exclusive to the Galaxy S6. The smartphones will be available on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile in the U.S., and will also be on sale through Amazon, Best Buy, Costco, Target, Walmart and Sam's Club.

11114266_935538636478448_8542216883650215234_n.jpg

11147092_935538623145116_3591685352814391823_n.jpg

11150838_935538639811781_7259357103123701236_n.jpg

^^ Early launch in Saudi Arabia?
source: https://www.facebook.com/jarirbookstore?fref=ts

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Surprising how long Samsung is taking to release Samsung Pay. I wonder what features iPhone users would take away that's new from the S6/S6E that they would like in the next iPhone? Wireless charging/fast charging?

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
Am I the only one that thinks the gs6 looks nothing like an iphone? Aside from speaker holes they are completely different and the galaxy alpha uses the octa core and also got rid of the SD card slot.

Stop trying to put this as a reason to compete with apple.they are introducing new architectures to mobile phones and has nothing to do with apple.

They went with sata memory interface to speed the phone up and spent billions on it and would not let an old SD card cluster it up trying to load 4k videos off it and people complain that the galory lags.

It looks like a Samsung phone that was built with a similar design to an iPhone. While they don't look the same, Samsung chose to give up every feature that they have touted in ads for years and became more like the phone they have criticized. This isn't about the phones being the same or patent infringement, it is about Samsung deciding that they weren't able to win the smartphone battle by being different from Apple.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
It looks like a Samsung phone that was built with a similar design to an iPhone. While they don't look the same, Samsung chose to give up every feature that they have touted in ads for years and became more like the phone they have criticized. This isn't about the phones being the same or patent infringement, it is about Samsung deciding that they weren't able to win the smartphone battle by being different from Apple.

One could also argue that Apple did pretty much the same thing. The 3.5in display was the perfect size. Anything bigger was not needed. A lot of Apple fans bashed bigger screen phones. They looked "stupid" some would say. 3.5in was the perfect size....until the iPhone 5 came out. Now the iPhone is 4.7 and 5.5inches. Two display sizes that go against everything the iPhone once stood for. Bottomline is Apple and Samsung both did a complete 180 on their smartphone philosophies and IMO there isn't a damn thing wrong with that. The bigger screen on the iPhone is awesome. The beautiful look of the S6/S6 Edge is awesome.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London

Good Job Samsung!!!

Whilst scrolling the page up I thought this was the new iPhone same look at the bottom. Infant the S6 is an iPhone. Lol. Can't tell now **** sake. Really was planning to get one. Dmn it. Might as well go n get the real thing then.

yansun

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
its a copy of iphone 6
No, it isn't. It's "heavily inspired" by design elements of the iPhone 6 AND iPhone 4/4s though. Very similar looking metal frame to the iPhone 6 and the glass back similar to the iPhone 4/4s. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.