Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The design may be elegant but it is certainly not practical. The slick surfaces make a drop very likely.

I ended up putting a toast wood backing on the phone. Very thin and almost naked but not slick.

I would rather have a completely naked phone, but thats just not practical because I'd also rather not drop this very expensive phone.

natsinicky

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
got my replacement .. going naked again :cool:

It's one thing to make a mistake and then learn from it, and it's another thing to make a mistake, and then set up the same course of action to yield the same result. Have fun with the next replacement.

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
It's one thing to make a mistake and then learn from it, and it's another thing to make a mistake, and then set up the same course of action to yield the same result. Have fun with the next replacement.

Meh.. I did the same deal with my 4s because enjoyed using my phone naked and enjoying the design. Now if I had used both of my replacements I case would be knowing on.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
You do have money to waste...

I find that funny, you said that! :D

Many people boast that they have money to waste.. but I often wonder what their savings, 401K, debt to income ratio, investment accounts look like. We make good money and live below our means and have a large savings and can't say that I have money to waste because there's always something to save for, if not, then to invest in stocks/mutual funds. Not judging how others spend their money and live their lives but it's funny to me how people boast about having money. LOL :p

Reactions: AJsAWiz

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I posted months ago about my intention to go naked with my 6 Plus, since that's what I had done with all my other iPhones. However, I have since changed my mind. Not long after getting the phone, I was sitting in a movie theater and the phone slipped right out of the pocket of my dress pants and onto the concrete floor. I've never had that happen. I think it's due to the larger size combined with the slippery material and rounded design. The phone was mostly okay, but did suffer a blemish by the headphone jack. I also came close to dropping it a couple of times.

I finally decided to go with a minimal case from Skinit.com (the inkfusion lite). The plastic used feels a lot like the glass on the front of the phone, and I found it made it easier to hold on to without increasing the bulk of the phone or making it too grippy (both of these were complaints I had about the Apple silicone case).

lienmar

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
i would like to see some close-up pics (front and back) after several months of "rocking naked".

i am interested especially in some quality pics of the screen, from people who carefully carrying their phone (no keys/coins in pocket... etc) but still to see if any tiny scratches (or anything) only from wearing (not accidentally events).

anyway, a thread such big and with a topic like this shoul already have tens of pics not only discussions.

if a lot of people rock their i6 naked they should definitely post like: "here is a detailed pic of how it screen and back looks after 4 months of carrying it in the following conditions ... etc"

Reactions: AJsAWiz

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Honestly, I don't think just carrying it naked would result in much visible wear to speak of, as long as you're careful about where you set it down. The main reason I decided to use a case was to make it easier to hold onto.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I've been using mine for over a month naked and so far so good, but I haven't dropped it so I have no idea how that would turn out.

It is a slick phone, and you have to be careful or you can easily drop it, especially if your hands are dry.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
It's like sex with a condom. While its still good it's lacking something. Mine will be naked with AppleCare +

I've been rocking naked iPhones with AC+ since the original. I've been banging chicks unprotected for years. No broken phones, no STDs, no children. Should I play the lottery or something?

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
i would like to see some close-up pics (front and back) after several months of "rocking naked".

i am interested especially in some quality pics of the screen, from people who carefully carrying their phone (no keys/coins in pocket... etc) but still to see if any tiny scratches (or anything) only from wearing (not accidentally events).

anyway, a thread such big and with a topic like this shoul already have tens of pics not only discussions.

if a lot of people rock their i6 naked they should definitely post like: "here is a detailed pic of how it screen and back looks after 4 months of carrying it in the following conditions ... etc"

Yes! This is also something I have been wanting to see.

Last edited:

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
I would love to run my iPhone 6 Plus naked, however I am on the sprint iPhone for life lease program. So the phone is technically not mine, since it is leased. I have my phone on the sprint TEP program just in case I lose or it is stolen. But this is what they say for wear and use. And this is why I am weary on using my phone naked, because I would love to.

Standards for Wear and Use: The following will be considered unreasonable or excess wear and use of the Goods: damaged, scratched or cracked housing or display; display or touchscreen malfunctions; cracked camera lens; damaged charger port; damage caused by exposure to liquid; corrosion or discoloration of any part of the Goods; damage to memory ports; hardware or software alterations; and any other malfunction, failure or damage caused by misuse or mistreatment of the Goods. Unreasonable or excess wear and use of the Goods may result in a charge to you upon return of the Goods.

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Oct 6, 2014
I posted months ago about my intention to go naked with my 6 Plus, since that's what I had done with all my other iPhones. However, I have since changed my mind. Not long after getting the phone, I was sitting in a movie theater and the phone slipped right out of the pocket of my dress pants and onto the concrete floor. I've never had that happen. I think it's due to the larger size combined with the slippery material and rounded design. The phone was mostly okay, but did suffer a blemish by the headphone jack. I also came close to dropping it a couple of times.

I finally decided to go with a minimal case from Skinit.com (the inkfusion lite). The plastic used feels a lot like the glass on the front of the phone, and I found it made it easier to hold on to without increasing the bulk of the phone or making it too grippy (both of these were complaints I had about the Apple silicone case).

Funny enough, only yesterday I was thinking how nicer the 6 looks without a case.

One of my gym buddies has always been case free with his 6, and has been saying for weeks how "he must get around to getting a case".

I saw him yesterday, and he said that he now has two cases but still prefers to use the phone without.

I asked him if I could have a look at his 6 (no case, or screen protector) and it looked flawless.

No blemishes, whatsoever.

But then again, he is a lucky so & so.

He's a jewellery maker who has a safety deposit box in the place that was robbed in Hatton Garden (London) a few weeks back. The robbers opened every box in the section next to his, as well as the boxes above and below his ... but not his!

The point I'm trying to make is that I think he's simply a lucky person.

While reading your comment as I lay in bed, my iPhone slipped out of my hand!

I also feel that with all of the funky exercises I do at gym it will slip out of my pocket in no time, and break.

And although I have AC+ I wouldn't want a replacement as my 6 is absolutely flawless. Knowing my luck, I'd receive one with dead pixels, or dust under the screen, or light bleed etc.

I have a black Apple silicone case, which I no longer use.

I'm currently using the Speck Ultra Hybrid which is superb, and actually really cheap.

I wish I'd got my 6 in Silver, but I ended up getting Space Grey. I truly believe the Space Grey looks fantastic when "naked" but I just can't take the risk.

Good luck ...

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I would also love to use my iPhone 6 'naked', however, there is just one over bearing reason why I won't and it is this:

...the fact that when you lay the naked iPhone down on your desk (on its back), it does NOT lay down flat - it wobbles, due to the protruding camera on the back.

Thats one, and one reason alone, to not use it naked!!!
;)

gewawd

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
I've been "rocking" my iPhone 6 Plus naked for almost 3 months now. I repeatedly told my friends that I will get a case and considering whenever someone wants to get a grip on my phone, I always say "be careful, it's slippery " before I hand it to them.

In less than month, there were obvious scratches on the display although these could actually be scratches on the oleophobic coating rather than the Ion-X strengthened glass, who knows? And I didn't worry much about scratches because the aluminum is anodized. Aluminum, however, is a soft material and there are tiny nicks around the device due to either being bumped by a remote control or another hard matter. So this is something that should be taken with caution if you plan to buy or resell. But the nicks are pretty minor, my iPad mini camera can't do a macro shot on them.

Fast forward now, I still don't have a case and if I really need to provide someone a reason why they should get a case is because the device really is slippery. The protruding camera lens being a major factor why the phone can't lay flat on it's back doesn't bother me much since I use my phone by gripping it.

I'm honestly still unsure if I'll still seek protection. I like the feel and look of it naked but it's too risky. No pun intended.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
The protruding camera lens being a major factor why the phone can't lay flat on it's back doesn't bother me much since I use my phone by gripping it.

...so what about when you are not 'gripping' your phone and it is on your desk/table/whatever, not being used - doesn't the fact that it wobbles, bother you?!!

I think another factor for adding a case is to personalize the phone a little. I'd hate to be standing somewhere using my phone and the guy next to me pulls out the same exact phone. At least with a case, there's a high chance that you'll never meet anyone with the same case as you! ;)

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Probably been addressed but I'm not reading 23 pages. Scratches on the back.....affect trade in/sale value? Also I have a habit of soft tossing it in my car, on my couch, etc. If it were to ever contact something solid, not good. I always have a case and screen shield.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've had my 6+ for awhile now (early this year). I've been using a Zagg tempered glass protector on my replacement device (first 6+ red screened after a month of usage). I use an Apple Leather Case.

First Apple leather case I had --- I accidentally dropped it in a parking lot from butt height and ... the leather case split open (super thin leather). Was really disappointed with how the case was useless after a minor drop. But after trying other cases and not enjoying the extra thickness, I got another Apple leather case (using it now) but this one has a weird smell to it :/.

The first Zagg glass protector shattered when I pressed too hard from the side because I noticed it was collecting dust and not firmly in place on one side. Few bucks for a replacement and used that for a few months until I noticed yesterday I had a big crack in the middle of the glass ... decided to remove it and go without (preferring to go without).

I too would love to use this phone naked. In my history of phone usage (including iphones) - much prefer them without a case. The 4s felt the best without a case imo.

Just can't use the 6+ without a case imo. It's just too slippery. Unless I slowed my life down a ton and started babying my phone (Sena pouch (yes, I have one)) I don't see how I could ever do it. Might try the Sena pouch again now that I don't have a Zagg shield (wouldn't fit with one).

One issue I have too is doing Ingress for long periods of time - a case really helps with that. Might just have to keep Ingress to my Nexus tablet and a wifi hotspot...

So after 4 months with a case, I'm going to try going without again. The Sena pouch will help me not use the phone while I'm in the car too...

I have a friend who is far better off financially than I am - he uses his iPhone naked with a Sena pouch and a hand bag. Not sure if I can go that far but it seems to work for him.

vLeo

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Houston
I use mine with no case. All i have is screen protector for the front and back. I am so picky about dust building up in cases with ports that I cannot stand to use a case for an extended period of time.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bananas Ananas

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts

Here are some pictures of an iPhone 6 going naked for about half a year now:

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

It holds up very well in my conditions. Sometimes I'll throw the phone in a gym bag with keys, headphones, water bottles, etc. with it, but otherwise me and the phone spend majority of time at academic environment. It has also dropped couple times to the floor of my car since it slips out of some bad pant pockets when I hit the pedal with my Mustang. Pictures are pretty poor quality as I don't own a real camera, but you get the idea.

Once the screen coating got some scratching when I had the phone with a bunch of credit cards at same pocket, but they seem to have disappeared!

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I had lunch with a guy this week whose (un-cased) iPhone 6 was very nicked & scuffed along the top edge; the way that iPhone 5s get to looking after a while of usage. First time I've seen one like that...

P.S. Whenever I use one of the metal iPhones for any length of time, my palm starts feeling sweaty and clammy against the aluminum (doesn't happen with plastic). Does anyone use a case for that reason alone? I feel like I would.

Last edited:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Yeah, since my accident I am always in a case unless I'm at home reading or playing games in bed. Way too slippery. I have fairly small but meaty claws but no way can I justify going naked anymore sadly. The feel of the phone is so beautiful and wonderful, it takes me back to the 1st gen feel of the aluminum :eek:

On another side note, the Zagg Glass is completely horrible. This is just from everyday use since the Wednesday night after the Super Bowl when I went to Apple to fix my glass. All scuffed from pockets? And when I pulled it off this morning it completely cracked all over. Poor build quality by making it thinner. For $50 you'd figure it would hold up a little better :mad: View attachment 531759

you know it has a lifetime warranty... right?

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Bought a case for mine out of the gates but debating just buying AppleCare and rocking it naked. Feels great in the hand. Who's going naked this time around?

it's not for me. I have a 6 plus and I would be "that guy" that would bend it or drop it as it is very slippery.

:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.