Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
The was when Apple wasn't as well known. They don't need such tactics now.

As one of the 100 million people who had bought an iPod during the decade leading up to the introduction of the iPhone, I beg to differ. Apple was very well-known at that point in the company's 30-year history.

sessamoid

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
There isn't that much gold on the watch, The top side is the screen and bottom side is glass. The bands aren't gold either, so this makes me believe it will be price much cheaper than gold watches in jewelry stores. No way this gold watch is more than $2000.

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that the gold Watch Edition will cost more than $2000. Even with gold only in the casing, that's a pretty significant amount of gold. Estimates range from 1.0-2 troy ounces of gold. Gold costs about $1200 per troy ounce. There is zero chance that the gold Watch Edition will cost <= $2000 WITH band.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I would be willing to bet a lot of money that the gold Watch Edition will cost more than $2000. Even with gold only in the casing, that's a pretty significant amount of gold. Estimates range from 1.0-2 troy ounces of gold. Gold costs about $1200 per troy ounce. There is zero chance that the gold Watch Edition will cost <= $2000 WITH band.

That's what I thought at first, that the prices will be sky high but then I remember during the keynote Apple said they've made the gold and metal twice as hard. Now to my knowledge to make gold harder you need to add other materials and in doing so you'll use less gold. More gold makes the product softer and easier to scratch, less gold with other materials make it harder to scratch and cheaper. Keep in mind Apple said they've made the metal twice as hard working with their metallurgist.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
What really get me is how did no one pick up that the model was "flipped" in photoshop!! The photographer shot the wrong angle, in order for the photo to fit on the page, they flipped the photo, so now everything is backwards!!

Why is that muppet still working??

AppDiggity

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2015
Apple is just show boating at this point. They have the cash to do it. I just don't see the watch being a hit.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
What really get me is how did no one pick up that the model was "flipped" in photoshop!! The photographer shot the wrong angle, in order for the photo to fit on the page, they flipped the photo, so now everything is backwards!!

Why is that muppet still working??

There isn't anything wrong with the picture. These people are professionals and however you see the picture is exactly how they wanted it to be.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Apple is just show boating at this point. They have the cash to do it. I just don't see the watch being a hit.

You're joking right? This is going to be huge and there will be long lines after the online pre orders run out

AppDiggity

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2015
You're joking right? This is going to be huge and there will be long lines after the online pre orders run out

I am not joking at all. I understand that it will sell out quickly, but I just think it's an Apple hype thing. I think the novelty will fade fast.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I am not joking at all. I understand that it will sell out quickly, but I just think it's an Apple hype thing. I think the novelty will fade fast.

It'll never fade because it's not expensive and people will upgrade every couple years just like they do with their phones. As long as the information displayed is short and relevant it will sell.

timberty

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
http://www.techfor.us/2015/02/apple-watch-price-from-349usd-to-20000usd/
Above is the link to the prices that were leaked.

My excitement was high for the :apple:Watch, I have $600.00 squirreled away for it and I was planning on buying a second one as a gift. If this is in fact the actual prices my excitement has deflated and that gift won’t happen.

Let me explain what you are seeing on that page:

You have 3 types of :apple:watch: Aluminum, stainless steel and Gold. You have 2 sizes of watch 38mm (Ladies?) and 42mm (mens?). You have several color schemes, space grey, silver, gold and rose gold. Please note a few key things. Not all bands fit on all size watches, some bands you can only get with a watch and the prices….

My issues:

• Paying extra for the 42mm as apposed to the lower priced 38mm (with the exception of the gold watches this is lame at best) The Aluminum and stainless steel shouldn’t have different prices between the 38mm and 42mm.
  • You will notice that the Milanese Loop and the Stainless Steel link watch bands can only be bought IF you buy the :apple:Watch with it! So if you want one of each you would need to buy TWO :apple:Watches.
  • All bands are not for everyone! You cannot get a “Modern Leather Strap” unless you buy a 38mm Watch. Likewise the “Leather Loop” bands you can only use on a 42mm :apple:Watch.
  • In order to get the *space grey stainless steel* :apple:Watch you must buy the Steel Link band version that costs $999.00
  • Price. $999.00 for a stainless Steel watch is too high! Apple or otherwise.
    I have been a Apple person for a long time. I know they cost more than other brands and I’m fine with that, However, this device is over priced.

• I would have expected that the 38mm/42mm (gold excluded) would be the same price and that the bands would all be interchangeable as we were led to believe in every single :apple: Watch add to date.
  • Lastly the prices. $350 for aluminum and $500 for stainless steel. What happens next year when you have a new model of the :apple: Watch

Disappointed!

NOTE: —-> :mad: This may or may not be that actual numbers, let us pray this is wrong. We shall see on March 9th :mad:

I believe that was a summary posted from Gruber's prediction, not an actual leak.

GOOD, I hope so. That is a horrid pricing plan!

Yes, just something a forum member put together based largely on Grubers predictions.

Just a little bit down this page...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1848588/

It seems the price is true and match with the official announcement of Apple for now. So, price for Apple Watch is too high, right ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.