Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSignal

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2010
I picked up on some positive commentary about the Dell U2515H in a couple of other MR threads and decided to try it for myself. Here is what I have to share.

Mainly, I was seeking something that would provide more screen area without sacrificing display quality to my rMBP-15. I had read some MR posts where this seemed to work well enough for some others.

What I learned is that the U2515H is not close enough for me as someone who has worked almost exclusively on Apple retina displays for two years. YMMV.

To me, the coarseness of the text was immediately apparent in OS X, Safari, and Preview. I typically sit about three feet from the monitor. Although some might suggest that I should not be able to tell the difference from that distance, I trust what I see most of all. FWIW, I wear 1.00 reading glasses to work on the computer and I definitely do not possess any kind of super human vision.

Relatively fuzzy text was an immediate deal-killer for me, but the monitor had some other good points. I liked the relatively compact form factor of the U2515H as well as the capability to operate in Portrait or Landscape orientation. The packaging seemed thoughtful. It was good to have cables included for the various connections. To my eye, the AG coating was well done and would be welcome on all my future monitor purchases.

On the downside, the touch sensitive buttons were inconsistent and annoying. Far worse, the return process was a trial. The online return process rejected my input advising me to call Dell CS. I had to wait a day to do that because Dell CS is not available on weekends. My call time was close to 90 minutes to make arrangements for Dell’s “easy returns”. Then the RMA follow up email with the requisite return shipping label arrived three days later than promised.

Near term, I am going back to being happy with my rMBP-15, and maybe waiting for the next generation of UHD monitors to arrive at the local Micro Center.

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I picked up on some positive commentary about the Dell U2515H in a couple of other MR threads and decided to try it for myself. Here is what I have to share.

Mainly, I was seeking something that would provide more screen area without sacrificing display quality to my rMBP-15. I had read some MR posts where this seemed to work well enough for some others.

What I learned is that the U2515H is not close enough for me as someone who has worked almost exclusively on Apple retina displays for two years. YMMV.

To me, the coarseness of the text was immediately apparent in OS X, Safari, and Preview. I typically sit about three feet from the monitor. Although some might suggest that I should not be able to tell the difference from that distance, I trust what I see most of all. FWIW, I wear 1.00 reading glasses to work on the computer and I definitely do not possess any kind of super human vision.

Relatively fuzzy text was an immediate deal-killer for me, but the monitor had some other good points. I liked the relatively compact form factor of the U2515H as well as the capability to operate in Portrait or Landscape orientation. The packaging seemed thoughtful. It was good to have cables included for the various connections. To my eye, the AG coating was well done and would be welcome on all my future monitor purchases.

On the downside, the touch sensitive buttons were inconsistent and annoying. Far worse, the return process was a trial. The online return process rejected my input advising me to call Dell CS. I had to wait a day to do that because Dell CS is not available on weekends. My call time was close to 90 minutes to make arrangements for Dell’s “easy returns”. Then the RMA follow up email with the requisite return shipping label arrived three days later than promised.

Near term, I am going back to being happy with my rMBP-15, and maybe waiting for the next generation of UHD monitors to arrive at the local Micro Center.

Hi thanks for providing your experience.
You mention text coarseness and fuzzy text. What resolution were you viewing at given you were running the display from a rMbp?

MacSignal

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2010
The initial setup defaulted to 2560 x 1440 with the Dell MDP to DP cable. That was the only resolution that I cared about, so I did not experiment with the alternatives.

Hi thanks for providing your experience.
You mention text coarseness and fuzzy text. What resolution were you viewing at given you were running the display from a rMbp?

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks for this post! I was searching on Amazon for a 24" 4K monitor (which sounds like the thing you need) and stumbled upon the (non-4K) 2515H and absolutely loved the idea of it.

I really notice the difference between my 13" rMBP and my 1920x1200 24" Dell. I've been distraught to find that 4K support for my Mac is poor, and the cost of a 27" Retina iMac is, well, just not going to happen. The pixel density on the 2515H is definitely a step up from what I have at the moment, so despite what you say, I think I may still give it a go. I'll also benefit from the amazing bezel, because at the moment my Dell has a thicker bezel and a bezel that comes 'out' of the screen, whereas I believe the 2515H bezel sits flush with the screen?

Reactions: Celerondon

ra004e

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks for this post! I was searching on Amazon for a 24" 4K monitor (which sounds like the thing you need) and stumbled upon the (non-4K) 2515H and absolutely loved the idea of it.

I really notice the difference between my 13" rMBP and my 1920x1200 24" Dell. I've been distraught to find that 4K support for my Mac is poor, and the cost of a 27" Retina iMac is, well, just not going to happen. The pixel density on the 2515H is definitely a step up from what I have at the moment, so despite what you say, I think I may still give it a go. I'll also benefit from the amazing bezel, because at the moment my Dell has a thicker bezel and a bezel that comes 'out' of the screen, whereas I believe the 2515H bezel sits flush with the screen?

I have a U2515 and riMac 5k and yes this monitor is not "retina" but for use with non compatible 4k@60Hz hardware this is the best option in my opinion. I actually really like this monitor. I use it on my 2013 15 rMBP and find it a great compliment. I even gave my P2415Q to my son as I really couldn't stand the AG coating on that monitor. I preferred the slightly pixelated look to the dirty lifeless look on the P2415Q ( This is my opinion. P2415Q is a great monitor. I just didn't like it. ) The AG coating on the U2515H is best I've used. Nice picture very bright and low power consumption. I personally don't find it that bad after working on the 5k riMac, as I go back and forth between these two all day long. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celerondon

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I have a U2515 and riMac 5k and yes this monitor is not "retina" but for use with non compatible 4k@60Hz hardware this is the best option in my opinion. I actually really like this monitor. I use it on my 2013 15 rMBP and find it a great compliment. I even gave my P2415Q to my son as I really couldn't stand the AG coating on that monitor. I preferred the slightly pixelated look to the dirty lifeless look on the P2415Q ( This is my opinion. P2415Q is a great monitor. I just didn't like it. ) The AG coating on the U2515H is best I've used. Nice picture very bright and low power consumption. I personally don't find it that bad after working on the 5k riMac, as I go back and forth between these two all day long. My 2 cents.
Thanks for your 2 cents, they are appreciated!

I am seriously considering getting this monitor and using either its native resolution or a HiDPI 1080p resolution through SwithResX

Last edited:

bootz

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for your 2 cents, they are appreciated!

I am seriously considering getting this monitor and using either its native resolution or a HiDPI 1080p resolution through SwithResX

As an owner of a U2515H, you'd be better off getting a 24-inch monitor with a native 1080/1200p versus running the U2515H at any resolution other than 1440p. HiDPI 1080p on the U215H will look worse than a 24-inch with a native 1080p.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Relatively fuzzy text was an immediate deal-killer for me, but the monitor had some other good points.

I really can't see "fuzzy" text on mine, though I suspect coming off a retina display, you'd be disappointed.

Really like the size, design, even colour. Bought it when it was on specially locally (Australia) to run with my Mac mini 2012.

Only gripe I have is with the mini in that it couldn't drive this screen at 1440p via HDMI, so I can't use the Thunderbolt port for anything else...

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
I ordered yesterday a dell u2515H. I like the pixel density on this monitor, problem is that apple doe snot offer a way to increase a bit text size. See, in the browser, I can increase default text size, easily, but in the os, I can't, correct?

What if I had a macbook that can handle a 4k 27" display? can I increase text size still working with the native resolution?

I mean, not using native resolution makes no sense, but if pixel density is high, apple should allow it, or enable it, right?

Am I missing something? the 5k imac has also very very small text? no, right? how could we, the u2515h users fin a solution for this? in windows you can change system text size very very easily, from windows xp or even before...

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
What if I had a macbook that can handle a 4k 27" display? can I increase text size still working with the native resolution?

Am I missing something? the 5k imac has also very very small text? no, right? how could we, the u2515h users fin a solution for this? in windows you can change system text size very very easily, from windows xp or even before...

By default, you'd run a 4K display to look like 1920 x 1080, and a 5K to look like 2560 x 1440. You are obviously not limited by those and can run at whatever resolution you like, and still retain relative sharpness, because "Retina".

Mind you, a 4K 27" would not be optimum if you ended looking at an effective 1920 x 1080!

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Interesting. I have the u2515h at one home and an Apple 27" Cinema Display at another. Both 2560x1440 and both running at that resolution. I don't see any difference.

Versus retina, I do see better fonts rendering on my 13" rMBP. To be expected given the substantial difference in screen size and much higher dpi. My retina iPad mini is even better.

What retina screen are you referring to? If it's your laptop, of course it will look better.

Also, at 3' away, you certainly do have super human vision. At that distance, the fonts are way too small to read irrespective of how they're being rendered. Are you sure you're using 2560x1440 resolution?

JCPH

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
To me, the coarseness of the text was immediately apparent in OS X, Safari, and Preview. [...] Relatively fuzzy text was an immediate deal-killer for me

The initial setup defaulted to 2560 x 1440 with the Dell MDP to DP cable. That was the only resolution that I cared about, so I did not experiment with the alternatives.

FWIW, I just received my U2515H and also found that text was fuzzy on initial setup. The display appeared to default to 2560 x 1440 (System Preferences said it was using the default resolution) but it did not look right at all. I suspect it defaulted to 2048 x 1152 rather than its actual default resolution. I switched to a scaled resolution in System Preferences and then selected 2560 x 1440 in the scaled menu – it was an instant improvement. Text is crisp and everything looks great (I'm also only about three feet from the monitor). System Preferences appears to have automatically gone back to "Default for display" and everything still looks good. I can't explain why but, in case anyone else runs into this problem, this seems to have fixed it.

Reactions: dfj

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
I found that when you are using a RETINA diplay by apple, you can select to "scale" the resolution, but actually, with retina screens, it is never scaled, it uses all the pixels one by one, no interpolation, just perfect sharpness; on retina displays, osx do a resizing in all the user interface.

with any other display, no matter which resolution, or at least that is what i found with my dell ultrasharp, osx does something different when you sclae; it makes an interpolation, so if you chose to sclae at any other resolution, you loose sharpness, always. not with the retina displays by apple. in fact, with a retina display it appears three graphics as an example. with a 3rd party monitor, those graphics do not show up, you only choose the resolution to which you want to interpolate to see everything bigger.

if you for example use 800x600 in a dell ultrasharp, you see huge pixels. in a retina display you will see huge fonts, but absolutely perfectly sharp. so the final effect is exactly contrary...

you are welcome.

so, for ultrasharp owners, i suggest to stay in native resolution, and try to use zoom or set up font sizing in the apps that allows it.

dfj

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2016
FWIW, I just received my U2515H and also found that text was fuzzy on initial setup. The display appeared to default to 2560 x 1440 (System Preferences said it was using the default resolution) but it did not look right at all. I suspect it defaulted to 2048 x 1152 rather than its actual default resolution. I switched to a scaled resolution in System Preferences and then selected 2560 x 1440 in the scaled menu – it was an instant improvement. Text is crisp and everything looks great (I'm also only about three feet from the monitor). System Preferences appears to have automatically gone back to "Default for display" and everything still looks good. I can't explain why but, in case anyone else runs into this problem, this seems to have fixed it.

This just worked for me! Thank you!!!

nathan_393

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2016

It's November 2016, I'm running Siera, and can confirm that this still works. And it still doesn't make any sense.

A Loutfi

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017
Interesting. I have the u2515h at one home and an Apple 27" Cinema Display at another. Both 2560x1440 and both running at that resolution. I don't see any difference.

Versus retina, I do see better fonts rendering on my 13" rMBP. To be expected given the substantial difference in screen size and much higher dpi. My retina iPad mini is even better.

What retina screen are you referring to? If it's your laptop, of course it will look better.

Also, at 3' away, you certainly do have super human vision. At that distance, the fonts are way too small to read irrespective of how they're being rendered. Are you sure you're using 2560x1440 resolution?

Hi! I'm currently looking at the S2415 (I'm a big fan of glossy screens) and the U2515 (as I would appreciate the higher pixel density) for use with my Mac Mini for amateur photo editing on my Mac Mini (current model). I'm really curious to hear your views on the U2515 as you have both that and the Cinema Display, which is glossy. Do you like the U2515's AG coating? I'm AskMasterCard my because the U2515 isn't in stock where I live and will have to order 'blindly' online.

nathan_393

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2016
Hi! I'm currently looking at the S2415 (I'm a big fan of glossy screens) and the U2515 (as I would appreciate the higher pixel density) for use with my Mac Mini for amateur photo editing on my Mac Mini (current model). I'm really curious to hear your views on the U2515 as you have both that and the Cinema Display, which is glossy. Do you like the U2515's AG coating? I'm AskMasterCard my because the U2515 isn't in stock where I live and will have to order 'blindly' online.

I know you're not asking me directly, but as somebody who owns the U2525 and owned the Cinema Display previously, I'll happily chime in: I hate the coating on this monitor. It feels lifeless compared to the Cinema Display, and while I know the colours are more accurate, they feel less accurate to the naked eye.

I said to my wife a couple weeks ago that the "upgrade" to the U2515 is one of my biggest regrets of the past couple years. The difference in resolution wasn't really noticeable (and has the side effect of making all the UI elements smaller and harder to use in practice), and the AG coating is really irritating.

All of that being said, if you're considering the AG coating because you're in a very bright environment with a lot of natural light and need it, it's very good in that setting. But for anything where the lighting isn't tremendously bright, the monitor's AG coating is nothing less than a gigantic nuisance. (And it reflects incandescent bulbs still, and the reflections look weird and gross because of the AG coating.)

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
The display works very well out of the box at standard resolution for me (mid 2014 rMBP 13")

Crystal clear text fonts in word processors and very nice images..it's a nice monitor but I do think it's a bit spendy when comparing the price point to todays available technology (4K etc)

*Caveat - I will admit; When I have been using the monitor for awhile and then switch to my iMac, the difference is apparent and my nod goes to the iMac screen..even if it is a 2010 model.

Last edited:

A Loutfi

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017
I know you're not asking me directly, but as somebody who owns the U2525 and owned the Cinema Display previously, I'll happily chime in: I hate the coating on this monitor. It feels lifeless compared to the Cinema Display, and while I know the colours are more accurate, they feel less accurate to the naked eye.

I said to my wife a couple weeks ago that the "upgrade" to the U2515 is one of my biggest regrets of the past couple years. The difference in resolution wasn't really noticeable (and has the side effect of making all the UI elements smaller and harder to use in practice), and the AG coating is really irritating.

All of that being said, if you're considering the AG coating because you're in a very bright environment with a lot of natural light and need it, it's very good in that setting. But for anything where the lighting isn't tremendously bright, the monitor's AG coating is nothing less than a gigantic nuisance. (And it reflects incandescent bulbs still, and the reflections look weird and gross because of the AG coating.)

Nathan, you've been a tremendous help! Your feedback is by far the most helpful I've received on this issue (maybe because it echoes my own perception :)) Anyway, I think I'll be placing the order for the S2415 after dinner. Thanks!

nathan_393

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2016
Nathan, you've been a tremendous help! Your feedback is by far the most helpful I've received on this issue (maybe because it echoes my own perception :)) Anyway, I think I'll be placing the order for the S2415 after dinner. Thanks!

My pleasure — enjoy your new display!

Reactions: A Loutfi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.