Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Yes. It will sell a bit in the 1st quarter it is out to all the folks who want something new. After that, we will see the cliff the sales fall off of.

Yeah, I don't think so. Apple timed this thing beautifully, the early adapters will pick them up, and the watch will become the hottest gift for Christmas later this year. What I think will be interesting is to see the ~1 year mark, and how the progression to version 2 will take place.

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Here's something novel:
Apple WON'T release a new version next year, but rather in 2017.
During the year 'break' Apple software engineers continually optimise the software so the battery life will continue to improve.
That would keep 1st gen and the Apple Watch Edition users happy.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Yeah, I don't think so. Apple timed this thing beautifully, the early adapters will pick them up, and the watch will become the hottest gift for Christmas later this year. What I think will be interesting is to see the ~1 year mark, and how the progression to version 2 will take place.

The timing was horrible. A Keynote then a 6 week wait after already waiting 6 months? Thats so bad that the novelty is starting to wear off and I don't even have one yet.

Then there is the pricing which was really really bad.

o Pricing should be the same for both sizes. People are going to buy sizes based solely on comfort not on any kind of different spects.
o The SS should had been $100 cheaper

Then there are the apps. What a let down. Most of the apps were for rich people who travel. I mean all that stink about some hotel that you can open the door with your watch. Where are the normal apps that most of us use every day? Wheres the extensive demos of Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest. Not a glance a full blown demo.

I think they tanked this. Ill still buy one but probably the sport now and not the SS which pisses me off as I like premium, but the premium is to high.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Yep, the new MB was definitely the best part and Phil did a good job with it. The rest was pretty boring, especially the watch.
I thought Macbook and the research kit by far the high points. Watch is such a reach, and I thinky they are way late to the party

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
If they're in short supply it'll be worth buying one for $10K and reselling it for $13K. They'll be great smuggling items to arbitrage cross-border markups in Europe, Russia, Brazil etc.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
The timing was horrible. A Keynote then a 6 week wait after already waiting 6 months? Thats so bad that the novelty is starting to wear off and I don't even have one yet.

o Pricing should be the same for both sizes. People are going to buy sizes based solely on comfort not on any kind of different spects.

Then there are the apps. What a let down. Most of the apps were for rich people who travel. I mean all that stink about some hotel that you can open the door with your watch. Where are the normal apps that most of us use every day? Wheres the extensive demos of Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest. Not a glance a full blown demo.

I think they tanked this. Ill still buy one but probably the sport now and not the SS which pisses me off as I like premium, but the premium is to high.
if you buy the watch then you are contributing to the problem.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011

Right, the timing is horrible because you want it now and it's not available now....its more expensive than you were hoping for, the apps stink, yet here you are still ready to shell out the money for it? Sounds like they sure tanked it. And same price for something larger, with more material? How does that make sense in your mind? You really want to Facebook on your watch? The SS should be $100 cheaper, why...because you said so?

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008

Their timing on this is brilliant. A very slow roll out of info that eases and spreads out the "too expensive" stories and gives plenty of time for them to sell out the 10K versions. Likely those will be salon sold with private appointments for delivery and set up. Seriously. No one is going to go in to a mall store and walk out with 10 -17 k on their wrist.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
One day, man. You're gonna blow a gasket when it happens. It'll probably be hilarious to see how excitedly you post it too!

I'm looking forward to it. You keep trying, ya hear?

Which one do you think you'll get? I've said many times I have to see one in person to see if I like it or not.

----------

That's not an issue with Apple Pay. It's an issue with banks not putting in place proper procedures to verify card data. It's no different from if someone stole your number and created a fake card.

Making Apple Pay just as vulnerable to a breach as a credit card, no?

----------

I can think of a few who will. :D

No doubt about that!

----------

Wasn't it a different audience? People from the fashion industry and so forth? Possibly people from the medical industry? What do you expect? People to whoop and holler? That used to be embarrassing.

I wasn't there nor was I the least bit embarrassed either way.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
i finally had to watch on my iphone..... i swear i saw on the page before it went live that i'd be able to watch on my ipad
I got it eventually too by opening it up in a Private tab of all things XD. Don't know why that worked, but at least I got to catch all the really good stuff just in time.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
battery replacement?

Anyone know if the battery is going to be replaceable?

I mean, if 1 buys a 17K$ watch, will it work well after five years?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Their timing on this is brilliant. A very slow roll out of info that eases and spreads out the "too expensive" stories and gives plenty of time for them to sell out the 10K versions. Likely those will be salon sold with private appointments for delivery and set up. Seriously. No one is going to go in to a mall store and walk out with 10 -17 k on their wrist.

Used to sell Rolex's in a mall for $10K-$100K. People do walk into malls and walk out with $10K-$17K (to $100K) on their wrists.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Making Apple Pay just as vulnerable to a breach as a credit card, no?

Your'e right, no. Apple pay is as secure as the money you put into it. Now if that money is already stolen, does not mean Apple pay is already breached. It just means the weakest link is the bank itself. As far as I know Apple owns no banks it uses for Apple Pay. If they did, then you might have something.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Which one do you think you'll get? I've said many times I have to see one in person to see if I like it or not.

I haven't even thought about it. I'm still waiting for macrumors members to say how great beats are. SPOT on with that prediction, btw. We'll pretend you didn't try to sweep that under the rug

Once everyone here says the watch is great I'll think about getting one. Since you predicted it'll happen, I should be in the market very soon. Cuz you're almost always right.

LOL. One day. I can't wait!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I haven't even thought about it. I'm still waiting for macrumors members to say how great beats are. SPOT on with that prediction, btw. We'll pretend you didn't try to sweep that under the rug

Once everyone here says the watch is great I'll think about getting one. Since you predicted it'll happen, I should be in the market very soon. Cuz you're almost always right.

LOL. One day. I can't wait!

The watch will be considered great here. Give it some time. It hasn't even gone on sale yet. Beats isn't in the foreground anymore. The watch will be for far longer.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I thought that the most under rated announcement today was Research Kit. It is a really cool thing that Apple is doing and especially since they are open sourcing it. Bravo.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
"Aluminum is 60% stronger than..." So basically, the aluminum they are using is actually aircraft grade aluminum? All of their aluminum used in their phones and computers are basically bottom-tier grade. Looks like they are finally catching up with the times and matching other brand's quality materials (iPhone/computers are 6004 which is basically scrap-grade while other phones/smartwatches are 6011-6014).

If they're still using 6000 series alloys, then those are aircraft made in the 1960s. They ought to be at least in the 1980s with 7005 & 7075, if not the 1990s with Metal Matrix Composites & 2000s with oh lets not even mention the 2000s...

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Keynote thoughts

This keynote started of with Apple tv and I was pumping my fists in the air that finally a new one is coming but than they only dropped the price. At least it does indicate that a new one is just around the corner.
The rest of the first half was so very boring, I mean the health kit stuff is awesome but omg those guys where dry and made that bit drag on for so long. I felt like watching a Microsoft or Google keynote.

The second half was pretty good, the new Mac book is very nice although not my type of machine. The watch stuff was also quite cool, made me want to get one even more until I saw the price. The problem with the sport edition is that it does not have sapphire glass and you also apparently cannot get the good wrist bands for it, unless I'm mistaken. The stainless steel model therefore is the one for me but man it's more expensive than I thought, +520£ in the UK for the big one is a hefty price tag. :mad:

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Last try. I 100% understand that USB-C is a standard (not proprietary).

However, the question asked was the ability to both power up the new Macbook while also feeding some data (via HDMI) to the guy's TV. What I saw today was 4 kinds of connectors in one hole, not 1 kind of standardized connector in one hole. That one hole perfectly fits a USB-C cable but is there more in there to allow something like charging and sending video work at the same time?

Somehow you keep reading me saying something like USB-C is not a standard or Apple has made it proprietary. I'm not saying either. What I am saying- which is speculation- is this: is the functionality beyond USB-C in that same hole implemented in a way that a special proprietary and/or expensive adapter would be needed? And that appears to be answered here: https://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/09/usb-c-digital-av-multiport/

So, again, I fully trust that USB-C is a STANDARD. I speculate there's more to that hole than implied and that that "more" requires a special adaptor in answer to the guys question (which appears confirmed at the link).

The usb-c specification calls for the ability to carry up to 100w of power. In order for your device to use that connection and the usb label, you have to be compatible with that standard. Any hub that is compatible with these ports has to be fully compatible with that standard, not partially. It is for this reason that certain types of usb cables are never officially offered - like usb-a to usb-a, or in this case, you are not allowed to make an adapter that goes from male usb-a (which would plug in to what we consider a normal usb jack today) to female usb-c because that would open up the possibility of connecting a high power 100w device into an old style port that can't accept that amount of power.

In short, yes, ANY hub or accessory that follows the spec will carry all the power, all the data.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
To understand Apple's choice of the USB-C port, you only have to look at the amount of space available on the new 12" MacBook for a standard 3.5mm headphone jack...

new-macbook-8-694x463.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.