Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gill Bates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Hi

I'm looking to buy an external display for my macbook pro (retina 2012)
Can't afford a Thunderbolt Display (budget is 200-500 $)

A Dell Ultrasharp could be a decent alternative, no?
Please do tell, if you know a good/better alternative
I'm aiming for the best of the cheapest displays, with decent quality and resolution (4k/whatever is not needed)

Can I use the thunderbolt port for mini-display output?

Thanks

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
Hi I'm looking to buy an external display for my macbook pro (retina Can't afford a Thunderbolt Display (budget is 200-500 $)
A Dell Ultrasharp could be a decent alternative, no? Please do tell, if you know a good/better alternative I'm aiming for the best of the cheapest displays, with decent quality and resolution (4k/whatever is not needed) Can I use the thunderbolt port for mini-display output? Thanks

So you don't want 4K. What size monitor do you want? 2560x1440 is probably your target resolution? Do you play games? Do you need full Adobe RGB for photo/video work, or is this just "general usage?"

Yes, you can use your TB port for mDP output.

Gill Bates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
So you don't want 4K. What size monitor do you want? 2560x1440 is probably your target resolution? Do you play games? Do you need full Adobe RGB for photo/video work, or is this just "general usage?"

Yes, you can use your TB port for mDP output.

Thanks
I think size anywhere between 20-30"
Resolution.. I really don't know. Whatever fits! :)
Yeah it's mostly for "general usage". As extra screen realestate (music programs and web developing)
Maybe a bit of gaming and movie watching, but with no superhigh needs
As long as it's not FAR off the macbook's colors

But without a Thunderbolt Display, I miss out on all the smart "dock" connections, yes?

Last edited:

Gill Bates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Maybe I should get a Dell UltraSharp U2415
Looks good. quite good reviews etc.

bootz

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
I would agree. I have a U2515H and while it is a great monitor, the resolution is a little (too) high for me to use at native resolution (2560x1440). I think U2415H has most of the features of the U2515H (thin bezel, great screen coating, adjustable stand, multiple USB 3 inputs), but a more manageable resolution and aspect ratio (1200p / 16:10).

LaloG

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
Do the 2012 retinas support 4K monitors? What are some good monitors? Is the current apple display worth the refurb price of $799? I read that the Dell U2415 is very good and it costs around $300.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.