Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I permanently live in Costa Rica and will be visiting my brother who lives in Texas in a couple of months. I presently have a good running Mac Mini Late 2012 which I recently upgraded to 16GB with a 500 GB SATA HD.

So, since I only visit the USA every couple of years I am thinking of purchasing a New MAC Air 13" "loaded" with 8GB and a 256SSD. With Apple Care and State Taxes it will cost me around $1500. However, I will save over $350.00 in shipping cost and Costa Rica Import Taxes.

I am a retired person who uses my MM mainly to surf the web, light photo editing, Render copies of my extensive DVD Collection to my Time Capsule and doing some correspondence writing.

I do want to stay in the "Apple Egosystem", so, my question is do you guys think this is "overkill"?

Last edited:

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I permanently live in Costa Rica and will be visiting my brother who lives in Texas in a couple of months. I presently have a good running Mac Mini Late 2012 which I recently upgraded to 16GB with a 500 GB SATA HD...
Depending on what CPU your MM has, it might be faster than a new MBA for encoding movies. For everything else, it would be great, and not overkill at all, just right. (upgrading your MM to 16GB of RAM was overkill).

Do you value the portability of a MBA for traveling, taking to the cafe, or even for around the house? If you don't care about the portability, you're probably better off sticking with the MM until your visit a couple years from now. If you do value the portability, then I'd say go for it, and who cares if your movie rips take twice as long (I set mine to encode before I go to bed anyway).

I do want to stay in the Apple Egosystem...
LOL... yeah, that's one word for it. ;)

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Depending on what CPU your MM has, it might be faster than a new MBA for encoding movies. For everything else, it would be great, and not overkill at all, just right. (upgrading your MM to 16GB of RAM was overkill).

Do you value the portability of a MBA for traveling, taking to the cafe, or even for around the house? If you don't care about the portability, you're probably better off sticking with the MM until your visit a couple years from now. If you do value the portability, then I'd say go for it, and who cares if your movie rips take twice as long (I set mine to encode before I go to bed anyway).

LOL... yeah, that's one word for it. ;)

Thanx for you imput and I agree upgrading my MM from 4GB to 16GB was "overkill", however, it cost only $60.00 more for two(2) 8GB Ram Sticks here in Costa Rica. Two(2) "Lifetime" Brand 4GB Ram Sticks cost $180.00 and I paid a total of $240 INSTALLED for Two "Lifetime" Brand 8GB Ram Sticks and bought these as my thinking was it was a only a few dollars more. This upgrade was done last January and my MM keeps "humming" along A-OK! I have the Basic Model MM Late 2012 i5 with a SATA 500GB HD.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.