Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b18221964

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Hello, anyone think I should get a shuffle now for running and gym? Or are there any alternatives?

Will the shuffle update in the coming months?

sconzen

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Will the shuffle update in the coming months?

Sadly, there have been no rumors on the ipod lineup in quite some time. Nobody knowns if they'll be updated anytime soon.
If you need/want one now, I'd say go for it. Maybe even try to find local electronics stores that have them on sale. In our area, Best Buy, Futureshop and Walmart they usually drop 5-10 dollars on occasion.

I use a flashed based iPod Classic when I run. No moving parts and can hold more songs.
I custom mod them.

Pretty cool indeed, but unless you sell them, not really relevant. Link?

b18221964

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks for all your reply. I placed an order for the Red iPod Shuffle. Couldn't find anything nice on the market with a clip. And I don't want use the armbands.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The Shuffle is pretty much as advanced as it can get methinks.... If it ever gets updated the most I could see happening would be different colour and bigger capacity, so you made the right move to buy.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It's a winner due to the clip. And the only current iPod with one

b18221964

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Yeah I just got the Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless. So waiting for my Apple Watch and I won't need my iPod Shuffle anymore. :rolleyes:

Bananas Ananas

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
Yeah I just got the Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless. So waiting for my Apple Watch and I won't need my iPod Shuffle anymore. :rolleyes:

Once you get your order please update how satisfied are you with this setup! I'm currently using iPod Nano and Meelectronics Sport-fi X7 for my exercise needs and am pretty happy with it. The headphones are excellent, but I would prefer the player be in form of watch as long as it works well!

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014

I don't think the Apple Watch could replace my iPod Shuffle for the use I give to it. For example, I like to change songs without looking at the device, just by touching its buttons. I'm afraid that cannot be carried out with the Apple Watch.

atimbomb

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015
I don't think the Apple Watch could replace my iPod Shuffle for the use I give to it. For example, I like to change songs without looking at the device, just by touching its buttons. I'm afraid that cannot be carried out with the Apple Watch.

I have Apple Watch and I'm a runner. - you can pair it directly to a Bluetooth, lightweight headset (around the neck like LG) and use the headset's buttons to change volume and track. Does not require iPhone present for that use case.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
I have Apple Watch and I'm a runner. - you can pair it directly to a Bluetooth, lightweight headset (around the neck like LG) and use the headset's buttons to change volume and track. Does not require iPhone present for that use case.

You need one of those headphones, rather than the almost weightless EarPods.

Apart from that, the price is considerably different is you just one to listen to music and podcasts.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I think the shuffle is dying

All the iPods are dying, but it doesn't make them any less useful to some, just like the Classic is still widely sought after on the secondary market.

The Shuffle is the cheapest product a person can buy to get into the Apple ecosystem, so it's an effective halo product for people on Windows, and Android.

It's also a much more economical solution for fitness purposes than the Watch, and models can be purchased from third party vendors that are 100% waterproof. No other multi-purpose Apple product comes close in price.

I would expect to see the shuffle as the last iPod standing. Perhaps eventually go back to the original nano touch screen design, with a wifi radio for direct synchronization with the cloud, streaming, and purchase, if it can be done cheaply enough -- which is what I see them doing with the nano in the next update (if they update it now with the Watch introduction). That would make an effective Beats pairing/announcement too. Same with the iPod Touch which will probably get a 128GB update as a direct replacement for the Classic.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The Shuffle is pretty much as advanced as it can get methinks.... If it ever gets updated the most I could see happening would be different colour and bigger capacity, so you made the right move to buy.

No, more capacity would be useless on a device with no screen. The shuffle is nearly perfect.

Well Ok one thing they need to do is build the music player into the earbuds and loose the cord. So the part that goes in the era is all there is. Or maybe a hearing aid sized device.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
No, more capacity would be useless on a device with no screen. The shuffle is nearly perfect.

Well Ok one thing they need to do is build the music player into the earbuds and loose the cord. So the part that goes in the era is all there is. Or maybe a hearing aid sized device.

My mum wants more capacity on her shuffle as she says she can't fit the music she wants on it for her walks…

g33k

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
I love my iPod Shuffle but however, its bad for podcasts because there is no timestamp and the controls are finicky. But for 4 minute songs, its great. Another bad thing is the lack of space. The iPod Classic is a great choice, you can't go wrong with it being $50. I got mine for $35 at Wal-Mart for a deal once. Great little iPod.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I love my iPod Shuffle but however, its bad for podcasts because there is no timestamp and the controls are finicky. But for 4 minute songs, its great. Another bad thing is the lack of space. The iPod Classic is a great choice, you can't go wrong with it being $50. I got mine for $35 at Wal-Mart for a deal once. Great little iPod.

how long ago did you get it at Walmart ? where ? at that price, you could have gotten 5.

g33k

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
how long ago did you get it at Walmart ? where ? at that price, you could have gotten 5.
I got it in January. Wal-Mart is most likely clearing out stock by decreasing the price. Sadly, the deal is not active currently.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

On a device with no screen how is the lack of space a bad thing? It's not like you would want your whole music library on a shuffle, it would be too big to manage by randomly playing songs.

g33k

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
On a device with no screen how is the lack of space a bad thing? It's not like you would want your whole music library on a shuffle, it would be too big to manage by randomly playing songs.
Very true. I guess I should really get an iPod Classic. I just can't get over how expensive they are, I regret not buying one when they were only $250. That's a steal for today. It's absurd how much they are now on eBay. Also, is it true that the iPod Classic doesn't need iTunes to put music onto? I heard that you could just drag and drop music from your computer onto it as if it was a flashdrive or whatnot.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Old Nano

I'd take a look at ebay/craigslist for an old ipod nano. There's been several form factors, however I'm referring to the "postage stamp" version. it's slightly bigger than the shuffle, has a great secure clip, and a usable screen. It's pretty durable. I can confirm a few bounces and a wash machine swim. (I'd avoid both - ymmv!)

It also has the Nike+ running app on it if you're into that sort of thing.

I keep it in my headphone case when travelling which is about the size of a fist. Takes up virtually no space, and I can select an album to listen without draining another device. It has great battery life. I can go a week without charging it.

I'm sure you can still find "watch bands" for it, too.

I've considered buying a second one as it's so useful. I choose it over the couple of modded ipod minis I have as it's just about perfect for active stuff.

Tallgntlmn

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
The shuffle is best for the gym, IMO. I love mine for that purpose. It clips on my shirt and I can change songs with the push of a button. It can even take the abuse of a heavy dumbbell hitting it on the way down during a dumbbell press.

I wouldn't even think about using my phone or an Apple Watch in the gym. A 100lb dumbbell coming down on the phone would suck. To bang the watch against the squat rack after the 5th set would really suck. Besides, the gym is my one place of solace aside from a cruise ship. I do NOT take my phone on the gym floor, EVER!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.