Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I have a issue with my Install of LinuxMint 17.1 on my DELL Inspiron 1420. When using chrome to browse YouTube the screen dies. It just goes black and the computer locks up and I have to hold the power button down and reboot. Any Idea what this means?

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I have a issue with my Install of LinuxMint 17.1 on my DELL Inspiron 1420. When using chrome to browse YouTube the screen dies. It just goes black and the computer locks up and I have to hold the power button down and reboot. Any Idea what this means?

Have you looked at your logs??

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I don't know where those are. I know enough about linux to use terminal and the system but thats about it

EDIT: Why was my thread moved? this thread is not related to Macs at all

If you know how to use the terminal then you know how to look at the logs. So check out the logs.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Is this on Chrome or Chromium? What happens if you try YouTube with Firefox with the Flash plugin enabled/disabled? Any core dumps generated?

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Sounds like it might be crashing the X server. See if there's anything useful in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. You can also try "dmesg" (you might have to be root), and poke around in /var/log to see if there is anything else in there that tells you something.

If you have another machine networked to that one, can you ssh to the machine before/after the black screen event? If X is dying or hanging, you should still have ssh access.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Is this on Chrome or Chromium? What happens if you try YouTube with Firefox with the Flash plugin enabled/disabled? Any core dumps generated?

I am using Google Chrome. Chromium acts the same way. Firefox DOES work for youtube just fine, however when you goto google.com/chrome on firefox firefox does the same thing.... i dont have flash installed so with Chromium and firefox it falls back to HTML5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.