Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmcthegamerz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Hi, two days ago, a bunch of new Macbook, Macbook Pro and Macbook air were relased

Macbook 12" With Intel HD 5300 (Poor isnt it?)
Macbook Pro 13"With Intel HD 6100 (better but still ..)
Macbook Pro 15" With Intel Iris Pro (That's the 6200 right??)

Now here is my questions, what happen with the rMBP 15" with Intel Iris Pro 5200 ??? Why did the base price went from 2099 USD to 2329 on future shop but it's stil the same model (yes, it is the same review , same model but high price) ??? I dont understand why the "mid 2014" raised to 2329 USD just like that?

Here is my other question, Is the 2329 USD rMBP 15" the one with the intel Iris Pro 6200 ?

They all messed up theses models ....

Why can't they just write on each one a MODEL NUMBER with the EXACT graphic card inside it , I find it really ***** without it

nfranklin

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
Okay, here's some clarification...

1) The new 12" Macbook is a wholly new device, and not released yet. It's a highly mobile computer with little to no weight. Due to this, it has slightly less power (tho the tech is new).

2) The 13" retina Macbook Pro was updated. New processors, new graphics, new touchpad. That's it.

3) The 15" retina Macbook Pro was not updated in any way. Prices may have changed in other countries due to the strengthening U.S. dollar value.

pmcthegamerz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Okay, here's some clarification...

1) The new 12" Macbook is a wholly new device, and not released yet. It's a highly mobile computer with little to no weight. Due to this, it has slightly less power (tho the tech is new).

2) The 13" retina Macbook Pro was updated. New processors, new graphics, new touchpad. That's it.

3) The 15" retina Macbook Pro was not updated in any way. Prices may have changed in other countries due to the strengthening U.S. dollar value.

On point 3, you're saying that the rMBP 15" just increased price like this , without technical(update) reasons ?

And where is the 6200 inside of ?

nfranklin

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
On point 3, you're saying that the rMBP 15" just increased price like this , without technical(update) reasons ?

Prices in stores outside of the United States may have changed yes.

Currently no Apple product is running the Iris Pro 6200 chips.

pmcthegamerz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Prices in stores outside of the United States may have changed yes.

Currently no Apple product is running the Iris Pro 6200 chips.

Great, finally I'm getting less confused lol

Between the old NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and the 6100 ( new rMBP 13") wich one will give me more render / Quality then ?

nfranklin

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
Between the old NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and the 6100 ( new rMBP 13") wich one will give me more render / Quality then ?

Do you mean the 750M? That is the current discrete GPU in the 15" macbook pro.

As far as the 650M vs the 6100, i'm not sure. Intel has made some serious strides in its gpu technology in the last few years. Would have to wait for some serious benchmarking before I could say for certain.

pmcthegamerz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Do you mean the 750M? That is the current discrete GPU in the 15" macbook pro.

As far as the 650M vs the 6100, i'm not sure. Intel has made some serious strides in its gpu technology in the last few years. Would have to wait for some serious benchmarking before I could say for certain.

Yeah I meant the 750M , maybe I could find it on ebay / amazon not so pricey, or else the Intel Iris Pro 5200 wich is still not bad

I hate future shop and bestbuy's websites, they can't write the right graphic card with the wirht model, they wrote Intel Iris Pro for the one at 3000 USD but in fact its 5200 + 750M no?

nfranklin

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
Yeah I meant the 750M , maybe I could find it on ebay / amazon not so pricey, or else the Intel Iris Pro 5200 wich is still not bad

I hate future shop and bestbuy's websites, they can't write the right graphic card with the wirht model, they wrote Intel Iris Pro for the one at 3000 USD but in fact its 5200 + 750M no?

The 5200 chipset is part of the Intel Iris Pro platform (where as the 5100 is just the Intel Iris). That machine has both the 5200 and the 750m chips.

pmcthegamerz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
The 5200 chipset is part of the Intel Iris Pro platform (where as the 5100 is just the Intel Iris). That machine has both the 5200 and the 750m chips.

Talking about the 6100, look at this :
MAC.png

Reference quote at the end of the page about
"Up to 40% faster than previous-generation MacBook Pro with Intel Iris"

Testing conducted by Apple in February 2015 using preproduction 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5–based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 and 1GB graphics memory, and shipping 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5–based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with Intel Iris and 1GB graphics memory, all configured with 8GB RAM. Resolution used: 1280x800. X-Plane 10 tested using fps_test=2 test_flight_747.fdr, with 4x anti-aliasing. Batman: Arkham City GOTY tested using the built-in benchmark, at low quality setting, with 2x anti-aliasing. Tomb Raider tested using the built-in benchmark, with anti-aliasing turned on and high graphics quality. MacBook Pro continuously monitors system thermal and power conditions, and may adjust processor speed as needed to maintain optimal system operation.

Looks like the 6100 could be a 1GB Graphic Card ....

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Talking about the 6100, look at this :

Reference quote at the end of the page about
"Up to 40% faster than previous-generation MacBook Pro with Intel Iris"

Testing conducted by Apple in February 2015 using preproduction 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5–based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 and 1GB graphics memory, and shipping 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5–based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with Intel Iris and 1GB graphics memory, all configured with 8GB RAM. Resolution used: 1280x800. X-Plane 10 tested using fps_test=2 test_flight_747.fdr, with 4x anti-aliasing. Batman: Arkham City GOTY tested using the built-in benchmark, at low quality setting, with 2x anti-aliasing. Tomb Raider tested using the built-in benchmark, with anti-aliasing turned on and high graphics quality. MacBook Pro continuously monitors system thermal and power conditions, and may adjust processor speed as needed to maintain optimal system operation.

Looks like the 6100 could be a 1GB Graphic Card ....
VRAM doesn't have as much bearing on graphics performance as many people seem to think.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Does it mean that they wanted to impress on the marketing but technically this rMBP cannot run any games?
VRAM is used as a buffer for the processors inside a graphics card. No matter how much of it you have, if the processors aren't quick enough to process that information, filling the buffer serves absolutely zero purpose.

It's like giving a worker that is already working to the uttermost of his ability a bigger desk. You'll be able to pile more work in front of him, but he won't work any faster than he did.

I'll be blunt, but buying a Mac for the purpose of gaming is stupid. They were never meant to be gaming machines, and never will be.

With that out of the way, the intel chips are okay, for integrated cards. Any modern GPU will run circles around them for breakfast.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013

The reason for the massive price increase are the actions of the EU Central Bank and the strong US dollar. The value of the Euro is in free fall atm.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
The reason for the massive price increase are the actions of the EU Central Bank and the strong US dollar. The value of the Euro is in free fall atm.

Here in Australia, we've also experienced a massive price increase.

Blame Prime Minister Abbott and the declining mining industry, and not enough science/R&D/STEM industries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.