Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TokyoKashi2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2015
Just wondering honestly. If you were on the apple team at the time, what would you have created for ios6? What features?

Would Steve jobs have killed ios 6, and created ios 7 and 8 the same?

Please feel free to comment below.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Steve would not have liked iOS 7/8. He would have never allowed such a terrible product to be released to the public. I love everything about iOS 6, including the performance and look. I love how its easy on my eyes. Then I go and use 7 and my eyes are like WTF!

Reactions: ThunderMasterMind

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Considering when iOS 7/8 design and features were being planned and even likely already designed on some level, which was quite a bit before coding started for it, which itself was quite a bit before anything about the design and features was actually made public, Steve Jobs likely participated in some of that if not quite a bit of that.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Steve would not have liked iOS 7/8. He would have never allowed such a terrible product to be released to the public. I love everything about iOS 6, including the performance and look. I love how its easy on my eyes. Then I go and use 7 and my eyes are like WTF!

I concur. Steve also would not have fired Scott Forestall for Maps, which was actually a huge upgrade and most of the problems were way overblown by trolls and/or fixed in very short order.

None of the iOS 6 launch problems were nearly as bad as the horrible stuff we saw from iOS 7 and especially 8, which is the buggiest and most annoying Apple release since System 7.5 came out in 1994. The split keyboard animation on iPad is glitchy and its position randomly changes; text editing and selection in Safari is glitchy as hell; the auto-hiding interface is a constant source of annoyance; the stark white appearance and thin-lines icons look terrible and make the system harder to use; the swipe-from-edge gestures often get interpreted when you're trying to pan around in a photo or webpage; and that's just the minor stuff.

Then we had all the really serious iOS 8 issues that I won't even go into. Yet everybody around here just can't stop praising this crap Apple's putting out. It honestly makes me sick.

But it could be worse. I just don't understand the thinking behind their new self-contradictory and non-sensical design guidelines. It really makes no logical sense to me.

Reactions: ThunderMasterMind

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I concur. Steve also would not have fired Scott Forestall for Maps, which was actually a huge upgrade and most of the problems were way overblown by trolls and/or fixed in very short order.

None of the iOS 6 launch problems were nearly as bad as the horrible stuff we saw from iOS 7 and especially 8, which is the buggiest and most annoying Apple release since System 7.5 came out in 1994. The split keyboard animation on iPad is glitchy and its position randomly changes; text editing and selection in Safari is glitchy as hell; the auto-hiding interface is a constant source of annoyance; the stark white appearance and thin-lines icons look terrible and make the system harder to use; the swipe-from-edge gestures often get interpreted when you're trying to pan around in a photo or webpage; and that's just the minor stuff.

Then we had all the really serious iOS 8 issues that I won't even go into. Yet everybody around here just can't stop praising this crap Apple's putting out. It honestly makes me sick.

But it could be worse. I just don't understand the thinking behind their new self-contradictory and non-sensical design guidelines. It really makes no logical sense to me.

Hell yeah!!! While i was not a fan of SJ, he wouldn't have allowed this crap of an os to leave Apple headquarters lol. Its such a terrible product. iOS 7 was nowhere as bad as is. iOS 7.1.2 was far from perfect, and had bugs, but it was smooth and fluid and had a far less app crash rate than any current version of 8 does. That's why I left my iPhone 5S on 7.1.2. I will NEVER upgrade it.

I still run iOS 6 on a few devices of mine. I will run it for as long as I can (hoping Apple sees that and realizes people are still on it by choice). It's a sad shame the majority of apps don't work with iOS 6 anymore. If only half of these stupid people didn't upgrade.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England

Correct. If Steve was still around, he would of enhanced iOS 6. He would have liked the black music app controls, and, even would have loved to have the app switcher set up like it is in iOS 7 and iOS 8. Steve would have even pushed for a materialism Control Center.

Hell yeah!!! While i was not a fan of SJ, he wouldn't have allowed this crap of an os to leave Apple headquarters lol. Its such a terrible product. iOS 7 was nowhere as bad as is. iOS 7.1.2 was far from perfect, and had bugs, but it was smooth and fluid and had a far less app crash rate than any current version of 8 does. That's why I left my iPhone 5S on 7.1.2. I will NEVER upgrade it.

I still run iOS 6 on a few devices of mine. I will run it for as long as I can (hoping Apple sees that and realizes people are still on it by choice). It's a sad shame the majority of apps don't work with iOS 6 anymore. If only half of these stupid people didn't upgrade.

For me, I agree. iOS 7 at launch was a disaster. It was unreliable, ugly and crashed. However, iOS 7.1 was the turning point and reliability stepped into play. that update was flawless and, could not be broken.

With my 4S and my iPod Touch 4th Generation, they both still run iOS 6. If they were updated, I would abandon them. I have found out that iOS 6 still has apps that work. for example, I can download apps on my computer through iTunes and, get a compatable version through my iOS 6 device's App Store.

For now, Hopefully apple will put a end to the UI wars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.