Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the new MacBook? And how much?

• Yes, I love it so much and I will buy one despite not needing new laptop

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Yes, I love it but I might not be buying one.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Yes, I like it and I am going to buy it because I need it.

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • Yes, I like it but I won't be buying one.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Yes, I kind of like it but I may or may not be buying one depending on my personal needs.

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • I am fairly neutral about this laptop. There are plenty of other options around.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I mildly do not like it too much because ... (insert reasons)

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • I don't like it at all, it's crap.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I just can't sleep thinking about all stupid people buying this piece of useless eye-candy.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I absolutely hate and despise it to death, and I will destroy this POS. Let it burn in hell

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
No we don't - the existing Windows implementations of this processor really can't run Chrome smoothly. "Reasonable" web browsing nowadays can involve quite processor heavy things - Google really likes sending VP9 video to you at higher resolutions which won't be hardware decoded and that's getting worse not better, Web-M use is exploding, animated GIFs are very processor heavy.

Your other points really have nothing to do with mine, other than arguing user experience doesn't matter much.

If smooth web operation is your priority, you shouldn't be running Chrome which is a cpu and power hog. Run Safari and things will be fine.

I'd buy it instantly, when it receives a 14 inch brother.

I really don't understand why the screens are becoming smaller and smaller with Apple, while the phones get bigger and bigger.

A 12 inch screen (or 13 inch on the Pro) just isn't big enough for watching a netflix video with two persons, or doing reading stuff the whole day, or just browsing the web in full glory.

And since the macbook pro 15" is full of specs I really don't need (even without any upgrade lately) which makes it expensive, :apple: now offers no notebook for me.

So, i'll just keep my Late 2008 15" model running till the moment comes a 14/15 inch model is affordable ($1500 or so).

And yes, I use a 13" too every day, but connected to a big 27" screen on the job.

Conclusion:
* Create a Macbook Retina (non-pro) 14", i5, 8GB, 256GB SSD but do have the ability to connect to 4K screen (core usage: play video, do internet!), price it $1500, and Apple opens up a whole new market they never had.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I like it

but I will have to take a look at it, type on it.
See how "slow" it actually is.
I'm currently using a souped-up 2012 Mini i7 with 16G RAM and Crucial SSD, so I expect this thing to be a bit slower in the CPU department but faster in the SSD-department. And of course the Intel GPU is faster, too.
I want it strictly for mobile use.
I could see myself getting a 11" MBA for that purpose (with i7 and 8GB RAM).
But at that point, it's already about as pricey as the new MB - and that has arguably the better screen.

I just "fear" I might hate my current 1920x1200 display of eight years and only ever use the MB even when at home. Then, I'd "have" to by a 4k display....

I can already see my self at the store, second-guessing myself for hours if I should get the one or the other and each time when I'm close to buying, getting back at the 12" and 11" again.
;-)
Store-employees are going to love the new lineup, I'm sure.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I like the specs but hate that due to Apple making is thinner and thinner we loose usability with the lack of ports. Let the Air be thin not the MacBook. Apple just can't help themselves.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I think it would be terrific for travel. I went from a 2008 15" MBP to a 2011 13" MBA to a 2013 11" MBA. Thinner and lighter is great when you're travelling, the 11" MBA is already very nice for that.

Before I retired, I could have justified buying the rMB as a second computer to use on the road. But since I only do occasional consulting jobs now, that doesn't make sense. My 11" MBA has the i7 processor, 8GB RAM and 512gb SSD. I run Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro and other powerful software. I connect it to a big monitor, USB audio interface, USB control surface, USB keyboard, USB mouse, Thunderbolt and USB disks, USB ethernet adapter.

The 11" MBA handles all of this very well. I just don't see how the rMB could do all these things.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I watched the event waiting for the rMBP updates, as I was looking to buy the mid-range 13". I was disappointed that it still had just 256GB, and to buy the top end model with 512GB and a beefed up processor comes in at £1399. But today I have revisited the new MacBook, which I discounted when watching the event because I was focused on the rMBP. For £1299 I can have my 512GB, a force touch trackpad, and something that is going to look up to date for many years.

I think the single port will work, because with the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter I can have all that I need at home, and with the 512GB, all that I need on the road.

Just need to try the keyboard as I type a lot. Anyone think the processor and graphics will cause issues with MS Office apps (including graphics and animations in PowerPoint) and Photos editing? This is pretty much what I need it for.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Just need to try the keyboard as I type a lot. Anyone think the processor and graphics will cause issues with MS Office apps (including graphics and animations in PowerPoint) and Photos editing? This is pretty much what I need it for.

I expect VMware to have issues.
Either because the CPU lacks the required virtualization-extensions or because it is plain too slow.
Everything else should be OK.
I think I read that it performs along the lines of the 2012 MBA.
After all, I/O should be super zippy.
Right now, they cannot be bought anyway.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Don't forget that in 2 years you will not need usb flash storage because the icloud storage with iOS9 will be sync flawless between any ios and osx with a dedicated apple app for ios.
And the next apple display will be wireless

So why you need extra port?
If you are a guy that like to be wired than go with the clasic still selling 13" MBP

The real hope is that HD5300 with that PPI its ok , lets not forget the 2012 rMBP lag

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
by the way what do you mean with your logo ?

The price is too high for what it is. Initially watching the keynote I thought it was going to replace the MBA so I was very much against it. However after thinking about it a bit more this is basically the iPad pro, so if the price was lowered a couple hundred dollars to be just a bit more expensive than a high end iPad I could be tempted, that and I hope that a third party comes out with a power adapter that includes a USB hub in the power brick, that would help overcome the lack of ports.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
it looks interesting, but for my money I will wait. I have a 2014 11" Air and it suits me just fine, remember when the Air came out $1799.00 do believe was the price. I paid 850.00 for a new Air that is ten times the computer and is now at a level of performance and a price point that makes sense.

It has enough battery life, memory and storage for me so a 1300.00 computer with a slightly better screen and more memory and storage doesn't mean anything to me and probably a lot of others, BUT it is a cool product, whether it is too close to the 11" and 13" only the market will tell.:eek:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I am middle of the road right now. It could be a nice mobile machine for me, because I write, take a class and surf, watch movies and use a little pixelmator here and there.

The fact that it is an appliance computer and $79 adapter are negatives for me. I am also not sure I could roll with a screen that small, retina or no.

That said, It looks beautiful. I'll definitely test one at the Apple store in the coming months. If I am comfortable using it (eyes and wrist-wise), I might consider.

When it comes to Apple computers, I'm more than a bit overwhelmed these past few years. So I am like a crow with Apple computers: ooh new shiny thing and then reality sinks in.

HellasLEAF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
I really like it. So much to like.

It's not for me though. Just too in love with my 2011 Air to accept some of these 'advancements'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.