Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
I recently started collecting iPods with the intention of using them (no boxed wonders here) and with that I have been coming here to read up on the cool ways we can modify and upgrade these gems!
iPod%20Lineup_zpstkfzorpu.png

The 2 nanos are my work iPods, the newer one being my backup whenever my 5th gen decides to die on me or breaks for whatever reason.

The 5.5 gen 30gb iPod video was the very first iPod I ever purchased! I cant believe how good it sounds with my ATH-M50X headphones. I plan to put a new battery in it as the one in it I have cycled SO many times going through high school.

The Mini is my current priority project. Its a pristine 6gb 2nd gen that I already have a new battery for. Next in line is a CF type 1 to SDXC adapter and a 128GB SD class 10 card.

The 3rd gen is a 15gb model that I got for free from doing a favor for a friend of mine. Its in dire need of a new battery, and thats all I plan to put in it. Currently the battery only manages 3 to 4 hours of playback, sometimes less.

On the far left and lastly is my latest acquisition. A 20gb 2nd Generation iPod that works beautifully. Ive been listening about 3 hours and so far the battery is still reported as "full" Im unsure what I wanna do with it for now, I may just keep it original and enjoy it as is.

Thanks for sharing all your little projects guys. Figure I would start my own update thread as I work through these. Will be some time before I get to them all.

Last edited:

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Cool looking pods. Here's some pics of my pods with the 4GB Microdrive upgrade to flash media. Blue with 32GB SDHC card using Tarkans CF-to-SD adapter. Silver with 32GB Compact Flash.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
granite, you are aware that the second generation one you have is the only one you've got that will sync with itunes on those clamshells you've got while in os9 don't you? of course you do. looks like a keeper to me.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
granite, you are aware that the second generation one you have is the only one you've got that will sync with itunes on those clamshells you've got while in os9 don't you? of course you do. looks like a keeper to me.

Oh really now? Nice! I didnt know but to be honest it doesn't surprise me as old as it is.

I managed to get over 8, maybe about 9 hours of listen time with a short break here and there. It still had a 1/4 battery life left. I have a feeling the battery was replaced in the recent past. I know it will get at least 10 to 12 hours of play time out of it, maybe a bit more even.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I recently started collecting iPods with the intention of using them (no boxed wonders here) and with that I have been coming here to read up on the cool ways we can modify and upgrade these gems! Image

The 2 nanos are my work iPods, the newer one being my backup whenever my 5th gen decides to die on me or breaks for whatever reason.

The 5.5 gen 30gb iPod video was the very first iPod I ever purchased! I cant believe how good it sounds with my ATH-M50X headphones. I plan to put a new battery in it as the one in it I have cycled SO many times going through high school.

The Mini is my current priority project. Its a pristine 6gb 2nd gen that I already have a new battery for. Next in line is a CF type 1 to SDXC adapter and a 128GB SD class 10 card.

The 3rd gen is a 15gb model that I got for free from doing a favor for a friend of mine. Its in dire need of a new battery, and thats all I plan to put in it. Currently the battery only manages 3 to 4 hours of playback, sometimes less.

On the far left and lastly is my latest acquisition. A 20gb 2nd Generation iPod that works beautifully. Ive been listening about 3 hours and so far the battery is still reported as "full" Im unsure what I wanna do with it for now, I may just keep it original and enjoy it as is.

Thanks for sharing all your little projects guys. Figure I would start my own update thread as I work through these. Will be some time before I get to them all.

Great collection and interesting stories, too, to accompany them.

Long may you enjoy them.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Thanks guys.

As for my 2nd gen I was testing it looks like someone recently put a brand new battery into it. I listened to it for a good 9 hours and still had 1/4 battery life left. I probably could of hit 12 hours if I had enough time lol

Today my new battery came in for my 3rd gen but they sent me a defective one. The solder wasn't even holding the negative lead to the battery's little circuit board, it came off by barely moving its wires while I was installing it into the old ipod. I have a better quality battery coming now, I hope lol.

As for my 2nd Gen Mini I have the SD to CF type I adapter on the way. All I have left to order for that is a 128gb SD card then I can get that little project done.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
CLVmCoSWIAANcBu.jpg
CLVgWuVUMAE1_jh.jpg

Well, I finished my little iPod Mini project. So far all seems well! The iPod seems to boot a bit faster and i successfully uploaded my entire music library to it with 60 gigs to spare. Also upgraded from the 600mAH battery to a 1300mAH battery.

With that said so far ive only had one problem. One time so far the ipod has locked up and restarted its self while playing music. This was after some excessive switching to the next song over and over rather quickly on shuffle. Either I ran it out of buffer or im guessing I ran into a corrupt mp3? What do you guys think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.