Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I am trying to restore and update a iPhone 5, but I keep getting random errors during the download such as unknown error.

Will update with actual error codes when it happens again.

Says there is something wrong with the iPhone and that it needs restoring or updating. Restore does not work as this is not my iPhone.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Have you tried a DFU restore?

Oh, and are you getting errors during the download on the iPhone itself or iTunes? You might try grabbing the IPSW yourself. Then using iTunes to update it with the full IPSW file. Had to do that when my mothers iPhone 5 didn't finish an update and started boot-looping. Then all was well after manually updating it in iTunes. Even kept all the data intact.

Worst case, you go into DFU mode and restore it with the downloaded IPSW. It'll clear it out, but it should be up and running again, provided it's not iCloud locked, or you have the owner unlock it.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Have you tried a DFU restore?

Oh, and are you getting errors during the download on the iPhone itself or iTunes? You might try grabbing the IPSW yourself. Then using iTunes to update it with the full IPSW file. Had to do that when my mothers iPhone 5 didn't finish an update and started boot-looping. Then all was well after manually updating it in iTunes. Even kept all the data intact.

Worst case, you go into DFU mode and restore it with the downloaded IPSW. It'll clear it out, but it should be up and running again, provided it's not iCloud locked, or you have the owner unlock it.

I downloaded the IPSW and so far its working thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.