Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mstikes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
I was looking to purchase the watch and since I stay and work from home I was sure it was going to at least be compatible with my iPad Air2 but apparently it only works with iPhone 5 or later.

Really disappointed and I hope they make it work in a future update !

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I mean, I certainly understand your particular circumstance, but for pretty much everyone else that wouldn't make any sense. You need an iOS device for the  Watch to pair with. You wouldn't carry an iPad around with you all day. Ergo, iPad is not a supported pair.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

It's designed to work with something that's usually in your pocket.

Mstikes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
I thought it was going to work over wifi inside my house...You won't have your iPhone in your pocket 24/7

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I think there are plenty of people who do carry around their iPad all day long.

So it would be in your hand at a sporting event? You would take it with you to the movies? It would be by your side while out at dinner or on a date?

Probably not.

Apple Watch and iPhone however? Probably.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
So it would be in your hand at a sporting event? You would take it with you to the movies? It would be by your side while out at dinner or on a date?

Probably not.
I don't have an iPad, but I've taken my laptop to the movies and to dinner. (I don't remember if I took my laptop to the last sporting event I went to.) That being said, my iPhone and a potential Apple Watch are the only devices I can see myself taking everywhere.

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
I don't have an iPad, but I've taken my laptop to the movies and to dinner. (I don't remember if I took my laptop to the last sporting event I went to.) That being said, my iPhone and a potential Apple Watch are the only devices I can see myself taking everywhere.

Why on earth would anybody want to take a laptop at the movies???

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Duuuude

Probably not.

I can't stand it, but there are far, far, FAR more people than you'd think that carry iPads around like iPhones.

Especially at sporting events and sit down things like dinner.

It's annoying and weird.

Not disagreeing with your point, though.

----------

Any why would you use a bright-ass screen while watching said movie?

People will do it and they should be booted immediately.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I don't want to, but in previous years I have taken my laptop to university and there's a movie theater nearby.

Of course, I don't actually use my laptop while watching a movie, but I could still have it with me.

Mstikes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Is there anything technical that would prevent pairing an iPad with an
Apple watch ? Maybe app developers will make it possible ?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Is there anything technical that would prevent pairing an iPad with an
Apple watch ? Maybe app developers will make it possible ?

If it is prevented, it'll be done at the operating system level, beyond the reach of app developers. There's nothing technical preventing it, it'd purely be a design/usage-related decision.

As an iPad user, I'm definitely sympathetic to pairing to iPad. I expect that, even if it's missing for now, eventually there will be some functionality, once Apple gets a better idea of how people want to use the thing (similar to the way they left a camera out of the first gen iPad).

Part of the point of tethering the watch to iPhone is the internet connection. Since a wi-fi-only iPad (or iPod Touch, for that matter) can't be counted upon to have a continuous web connection, Apple may have decided that the loss of functionality/frustration arising from the lack of a connection will create more unhappiness than the ability to pair to iPad would cause happiness. And while I'm sure there are those who have their iPads with them at all times, I think a far greater percentage carries their iPad far less frequently. With tethering being a necessity, it makes sense to focus usage habits on the device that people are most likely to have with them.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Sure...

I am the one of them I carry my rMBP, iPad Air, and iPhone 6 Plus with me all day everyday. :apple:

Sure, but if you had to pick ONE, would it be the always-online iPhone or WiFi-nly iPad (let's assume you, like most people don't have an LTE iPad)?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

Probably not.

However what is the problem for asking for Apple to give consideration to pairing the Watch with other devices? It's not a zero sum game. It's not that people are asking for the iPad or Mac to be supported instead of the iPhone.

Reactions: jeremiah256

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
However what is the problem for asking for Apple to give consideration to pairing the Watch with other devices? It's not a zero sum game. It's not that people are asking for the iPad or Mac to be supported instead of the iPhone.

Why would they devote resources to an extremely limited use case? What would be the point in pairing to an iPad? Especially operating on the assumption that *most* iPads in the wild are probably wi-fi only.

I don't have a problem with it necessarily. I really don't care if it can pair to an iPad or not. But why is it you think Apple should devote resources to a niche use case when there will be little to no return on it for them?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Why would they devote resources to an extremely limited use case? What would be the point in pairing to an iPad? Especially operating on the assumption that *most* iPads in the wild are probably wi-fi only.

I don't have a problem with it necessarily. I really don't care if it can pair to an iPad or not. But why is it you think Apple should devote resources to a niche use case when there will be little to no return on it for them?

Talking about niche use cases - the Apple Watch itself has a niche use case - the buyer should have an iPhone and must be in physical possession of that iPhone all the time that he wants to use the Apple Watch.

As for as why should Apple bother - well precisely the reason why people should speak out their mind asking for what they want. Now, to be sure, Apple is not obligated to read every forum or accede to every request - but no one is going to get anything in life if they do not ask for it.

Reactions: jeremiah256

ksfurby

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Winchburgh, Scotland
I mean, I certainly understand your particular circumstance, but for pretty much everyone else that wouldn't make any sense. You need an iOS device for the  Watch to pair with. You wouldn't carry an iPad around with you all day. Ergo, iPad is not a supported pair.

I was also wondering about that but my reason is because my phone has just broken, I am going to have to send it away and be without my phone for at least a week so while I am in my home or work I would have liked to connect my watch to something else so I can use some of the features, mainly looking at my Activity progress since you can only see the current day on the watch.

Any suggestions great fully received!

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
That's strange. An iPad Air 2 has the security features necessary for Apple Pay. Is this also true for the LTE model? And has anyone tried to pair it with their iPad Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.