Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I was wondering the same thing - how can this really deserve a patent when there are already similar solutions.

Further - liquipel seems more comprehensive than isolated to specific areas
I was thinking the same thing. The ECU in cars have been treated in a similar manner for multiple years.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Did Liquipel not patent this? They've been showing off the same technology at CES for a few years now...

If you read the patent, it describes a method for waterproofing, not a product for waterproofing.

Basically they give a negative or positive charge to a component, and then apply the plasma process with the opposite charge to create an extremely thin layer of protection.

This isn't a "we patented waterproofing" patent, which would not be valid anywhere. This is a patent for Apple's specific method of implementing waterproofing.

----------

Do people still not understand how patents work? I'm sure Liquipel patented their method for waterproofing. And here we see Apple patenting their own method. Ideas (like waterproofing a device) can't be patented. Only methods to do so can be patented.

Ideally there will be hundreds of different patented methods to accomplish an idea (from many different companies/entrepreneurs/innovators) and the best one wins in the marketplace. Then when the patents expire, humanity gets to use them all.

This guy gets it!

I don't understand why people don't get what a patent is.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
While it could be a useful feature.Doubtful Apole will put this in the next iPhone

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Correct me if Im wrong but from what I understand is this design will only water proof the parts on the inside and some water will still be able to get on the inside since the ports are not covered. If water can still get on the inside won't that cause other problems such as mold or just water slushing around in the phone since you have no way of drying it out? I hope i just read that wrong because that seems like it could be a big issue.

Nah, just start playing a CPU intensive game and let the heat take care of it ;)

afawcett

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
Ever since Liquipel showed off their tech as CES a few years ago, I've been hoping that a similar process would be adopted by Apple in their manufacturing process. I've never lost a phone to liquid damage, but it is still one less thing to worry about.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-6-durability-test,news-19594.html

"The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were similarly resilient during SquareTrade's water test, in which they were submerged in water for 10 seconds with music playing. Both phones kept ticking after taking a swim, with audio stopping only temporarily on both."

----------

Why so angry? Do you work for Google or Samsung? Notice I said water RESISTANT, not waterPROOF.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/23/new-r...p-iphone-6plus-withstand-brief-dips-in-water/

----------

You contradict yourself. I can't be full of **** AND be right at the same time. Apple added gaskets around the openings for the first time with iPhone 6/plus and independent studies show that they are water resistant as you correctly stated.

----------

The level of negativity and lack of reading comprehension on MR is truly astounding at times. Water RESISTANT does not mean water proof. Apple added some measures to improve the IP rating of their latest iPhones. That doesn't mean you can go scuba diving with it. It just means that it's harder for water to get inside the iPhone 6 than in previous generations to protect it against the occasional spill, rain and/or brief submersion.

By stating "water resistance" you give the other readers a false sense of security that their device is safe from water and by making such statement some idiot will jump into their pool thinking that their device is "water proof" there is a reason that Apple didn't "advertise" that their phone can last 60 seconds in water because it's water resistance isn't a feature it's merely an effect of their manufacturing process.

Example: the Fitbit Surge Watch is listed as Water Resistant (reworded in the latest paperwork from "water proof") to up to 5ATM. "But you shouldn't Swim or shower with it." The Surge can easily sit in a glass of water for at least 30 min with no problems... There are videos of people swimming with it as well and it is NOT listed as Water PROOF.

So, YOU going on spouting how the iPhone 6 is "Water Resistant" can potentially convince some poor schmo that they can take a dip in the pool with their iPhone 6 in their pocket, which makes you just as bad as the nitwits that said that iOS 8 can make the phones water proof.

But of course YOU ruining someone else's $650+ device isn't a concern of the mods...

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
iPhone 6 and plus are water resistant. Apple doesn't advertise it (for good reason) so it's not a well known fact.

iPhone 4S was water resistant too. At least my wifes iPhone 4S was. She dropped it in the washbasin full of cold water. The iPhone was fully submerged for two seconds. There was no damage and the iPhone served her well for a while. We sold it to a friend who is still using it as an iPod replacement without any problems.

zhenlek

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
This is a good way to prevent accidental water damage on iPhones, like in the rain or dropping it in the toilet bowl, having worked in customer service for an Apple reseller, I've seen too much of iDevices getting their warranty void from liquid damage. Of course if you're just dumping it into water for the heck of it........

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
My Xperia Z3 is waterproof. Why is Apple lagging here?

Because Water damage isn't covered by warranty, and it forces people to buy a new device.

Durability and longevity don't sell new products.

SymphonyOfDream

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2015
Prior art

Interesting that Apple is patenting a mechanism that's been commercially in use for quite some time at the very least at Badger Meter (former employer of mine). Of course,a transceiver encased in a resin isn't nearly as sexy as apple product. But a patent? Sigh.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
By stating "water resistance" you give the other readers a false sense of security that their device is safe from water and by making such statement some idiot will jump into their pool thinking that their device is "water proof" there is a reason that Apple didn't "advertise" that their phone can last 60 seconds in water because it's water resistance isn't a feature it's merely an effect of their manufacturing process.

Example: the Fitbit Surge Watch is listed as Water Resistant (reworded in the latest paperwork from "water proof") to up to 5ATM. "But you shouldn't Swim or shower with it." The Surge can easily sit in a glass of water for at least 30 min with no problems... There are videos of people swimming with it as well and it is NOT listed as Water PROOF.

So, YOU going on spouting how the iPhone 6 is "Water Resistant" can potentially convince some poor schmo that they can take a dip in the pool with their iPhone 6 in their pocket, which makes you just as bad as the nitwits that said that iOS 8 can make the phones water proof.

But of course YOU ruining someone else's $650+ device isn't a concern of the mods...
The fact that some people will be stupid and throw caution to the wind does not negate a simple statement of fact backed by evidence. Water resistance is a vague term that can give any of us some hope in the face of calamity, but should not be a signal to go swimming with an iPhone 6/6 Plus. Anyone reckless enough to give it a go needs to reckon on possible consequences. People need to retain some basic sense that action=consequences and apply logic and reason accordingly to their decisions, and then own said consequences and not act like a child and point fingers at some stranger on the Internet and say "But HE said it was okay."

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
This is long overdue. Personally, I want to see Apple make their phones a little bit more durable and rock features for real life use. I want to see waterproofing, Gorilla Glass, and larger batteries. The protruding camera on the iPhone 6 still irritates me. They could've made the phone a little bit thicker and boasted a much larger battery as a feature.

Let them withstand a little bit of abuse. It doesn't have to withstand 10 min under water but it would be a damn sight better than 3 sec of some water splashed on it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The fact that some people will be stupid and throw caution to the wind does not negate a simple statement of fact backed by evidence. Water resistance is a vague term that can give any of us some hope in the face of calamity, but should not be a signal to go swimming with an iPhone 6/6 Plus. Anyone reckless enough to give it a go needs to reckon on possible consequences. People need to retain some basic sense that action=consequences and apply logic and reason accordingly to their decisions, and then own said consequences and not act like a child and point fingers at some stranger on the Internet and say "But HE said it was okay."

You tell that to the people who fell for the "iOS7 makes your iPhone Waterproof" prank... There is a new naive idiot born every minute... so don't assume that just because you are smart enough to not fall for it, that there isn't someone out there that won't. I've seen my share of stupid comments on this site to know there is no shortage of stupid.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

Your ignorant post doesn't deserve an intelligent response if you truly think I would be at fault because some "poor schmo" decides to go swimming with his iPhone because he read a random comment on MacRumors about iPhone 6 being water resistant. I even said in my original post that Apple doesn't advertise that claim for obvious reasons.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Your ignorant post doesn't deserve an intelligent response if you truly think I would be at fault because some "poor schmo" decides to go swimming with his iPhone because he read a random comment on MacRumors about iPhone 6 being water resistant. I even said in my original post that Apple doesn't advertise that claim for obvious reasons.

Because it's not an actual thing. Just a BS claim by ignorant people like yourself. Apple didn't set out to make a water resistant iPhone 6, it's just a result of the build. So don't go claiming the device is water resistant.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Interesting that Apple is patenting a mechanism that's been commercially in use for quite some time at the very least at Badger Meter (former employer of mine). Of course,a transceiver encased in a resin isn't nearly as sexy as apple product. But a patent? Sigh.

In all likelihood, your employer wasn't using the same method. If they were, the patent wouldn't have been granted.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Here's what the patent is about

- The patent is not about waterproofing.
- The patent is not about how the material is deposited.

Those are known methods.

- The core patent is for putting holes in a the little metal shields you see above RF components, so that the waterproofing material can go through the holes and cover the items inside the shield.

I kid you not.

- Follow-on claims are for putting (metal) tape over the holes afterwards.

waterproof.png

So, if your child asked you how to get waterproof spray inside his toy, and you said "Let's drill some holes, spray inside, then cover them up again with duct tape", consider yourself patently smart.

First two claims:

1. A method for enhancing moisture resistance of an electronic component mounted on a printed circuit board (PCB) and within an electromagnetic interference (EMI) shield having a plurality of openings, comprising: depositing a hydrophobic conformal coating on an exterior surface of the EMI shield, wherein at least some of the hydrophobic conformal coating passes through at least some of the plurality of openings and forms a moisture resistant coating on the electrical component.

2. The method of claim 1, further comprising: masking a perimeter around the openings of the EMI shield using a first piece of tape before depositing of the hydrophobic conformal coating; removing the first piece of tape after the hydrophobic conformal coating is deposited; and adhering a second piece of tape to the openings after the hydrophobic conformal coating is deposited to protect the component under the openings from EMI.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You tell that to the people who fell for the "iOS7 makes your iPhone Waterproof" prank... There is a new naive idiot born every minute... so don't assume that just because you are smart enough to not fall for it, that there isn't someone out there that won't. I've seen my share of stupid comments on this site to know there is no shortage of stupid.

I'm not saying I assume there aren't people that simple-minded. I'm just saying the fact there such shockingly recklessly naive people in existence doesn't negate an objective statement of fact. And it doesn't matter if Apple intentionally didn't give the iPhone some degree of water resistance, if it demonstrably has any, it is fair to state as much. It's absurd to police simple statements like this on a forum presumably frequented by adults. Why lower the standards of discourse to accommodate the lowest common denominator?

But okay, fine...people, this is mom speaking: don't stick your IPhones under water. Ever. Or you may regret the results.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm not saying I assume there aren't people that simple-minded. I'm just saying the fact there such shockingly recklessly naive people in existence doesn't negate an objective statement of fact. And it doesn't matter if Apple intentionally didn't give the iPhone some degree of water resistance, if it demonstrably has any, it is fair to state as much. It's absurd to police simple statements like this on a forum presumably frequented by adults. Why lower the standards of discourse to accommodate the lowest common denominator?

But okay, fine...people, this is mom speaking: don't stick your IPhones under water. Ever. Or you may regret the results.

No, it's absurd to claim that the iPhone is even "water resistant" when Apple themselves have NEVER said that they intended to make the phone water resistant. A couple of people decide to test the "resistance to water" of the iPhone and it lasts for a few seconds under water and people claim " it's water resistant!"; it's ridiculous.

Hey I've touched my toaster with wet hands before... does that mean it's water resistant? Maybe you should take a bath with yours...

For ever loving christ this might the dumbest conversation I've ever participated in...

The iPhone ISN'T water resistant until Apple says it is... honestly, how difficult is this to comprehend? (yes despite that it can be tossed in a full sink for up to 60 seconds)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.