Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Really? Everyone's gotta write a book about this guy? Jobs was essentially just a d!ck who was good at making money. Greatest human ever!

:rolleyes:
And that's why books exist to actually provide some actual information rather that biased stereotypes overheard thirdhand at best.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The idealist often project their idealism on others,
The realist often project their realism on others,
The pragmatist often project their pragmatism on others,
I'm just saying.......

Just saying what?

A cynic is person who doubts or questions the motivations of others. I've never had the experience of anyone assuming that someone else is an idealist because they are an idealist. Or the other two, either. But I have often found cynics assuming that everyone is as cynical as they are.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
I don't understand why people took what Isaacson wrote as Jobs wanting to build a literal TV. It is quite clear what Jobs wanted to do for TV and we are seeing that with AppleTV/HBO.

So it took apple that long to have a simple deal with HBO?

I don't quite believe that, I do think hey wanted something else but this is the best they could do.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So it took apple that long to have a simple deal with HBO?

I don't quite believe that, I do think hey wanted something else but this is the best they could do.

Apple took forever to get a deal with the Beatles. And some artists, like Garth Brooks, make their own labels and won't deal with anyone.

It's a two-way street. Sometimes money isn't enough.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Wow you guys really bash people just to bash people.

Is there ANY evidence that the interviewer DID NOT ask something like this?

What were your feelings when you found out about Steve's condition?

Which a perfectly valid response would be what Tim said.

So you guys wanted Tim to just say "Eh"?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
MacRumors encourages people to sign up as an organ donor and has an annual drive (see Organ, Tissue, and Bone Marrow Donation in the FAQ), but offering part of your body while you are alive is even beyond that.

Whether or not Tim Cook wants people to hear that he's a good guy, let's acknowledge that he's a good guy.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Offered him a liver? We've only got one each! You mean a kidney???

That's what I was thinking, how do you live without a liver? Something's not right there. What, Tim offered to drive his car into a concrete embankment at 80mph not wearing a seat belt?

----------

It's possible to donate a portion of a liver for transplant.

Did not know that.

Bob Ames

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
"Somebody that's selfish doesn't reply like that," Cook says.

Oh yes they do! I've been a victim of narcissistic abuse for the last 30 years, and that experience has taught me that narcissists like Jobs are much too subtle to give the game away like that. It's actually very difficult to catch out a narc as being selfish, and very easy to point to many situations where they appeared to be generous and kind. I suspect this book will be about all these moments of kindness, even though all acts of kindness by narcs are merely an act, a way of tricking you into thinking they are generous (and narcs delude themselves into thinking they are generous!) when they are anything but. The bottom line is that narcs hate everyone and use everyone - no exceptions.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh yes they do! I've been a victim of narcissistic abuse for the last 30 years, and that experience has taught me that narcissists like Jobs are much too subtle to give the game away like that. It's actually very difficult to catch out a narc as being selfish, and very easy to point to many situations where they appeared to be generous and kind. I suspect this book will be about all these moments of kindness, even though all acts of kindness by narcs are merely an act, a way of tricking you into thinking they are generous (and narcs delude themselves into thinking they are generous!) when they are anything but. The bottom line is that narcs hate everyone and use everyone - no exceptions.

Yup, no exceptions. Everything is always absolute in life. Always.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
BS, -part- of a liver wouldn't have helped him in his condition. Plus, the only guy who could confirm that lame story is Jobs who is dead and never mentioned that when he was alive.

The only one who profits from that story is Tim Cook, who somehow is also the one who told it.

You are getting all wrong, the point of Tim bringing this up is to show how selfless Steve Jobs was. How can Tim Cook profit from this story? I'm pretty sure any human being would offer this kind of help for someone they love, wouldnt you.? Then again, the fact that you and others are surprised by Tim Cook's offer shows me how selfish you are.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
This thread just furthers my impressions that are many folk visit here just to be nasty towards Apple, Jobs, Cook, Ives or any associated with Apple. However some of the comments in this thread towards Cook and Jobs just go beyond any civil. They are more than judgmental, they are hateful. (I am amazed at the number of people who can look inside Tim Cook's heart and know his intentions.)

As for Jobs, the man provided visionary leadership to take his company from near bankruptcy to preeminence in company value. To not see him as an important figure in modern consumer information technology is incredibly biased.

I have never visited an Android or Microsoft forum. They don't interest me in the least and I certainly wouldn't go there to get in a pissing contest.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Just saying what?

A cynic is person who doubts or questions the motivations of others. I've never had the experience of anyone assuming that someone else is an idealist because they are an idealist. Or the other two, either. But I have often found cynics assuming that everyone is as cynical as they are.

Idealist - a person who represents things as they might or should be rather than as they are.

Realist - a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are

Pragmatist - a person who is oriented toward the success or failure of a particular line of action or thought

Just saying that there are many in each of these groups that assume there are many others that feel the same as they do. I seriously doubt that the cynic truly assumes that everyone is as cynical as they are. During my lifetime I have found individuals from all four categories and it is these diverse perspectives that have helped to make this such a great nation. Guess my life experiences have been a bit different than yours.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
MacRumors encourages people to sign up as an organ donor and has an annual drive (see Organ, Tissue, and Bone Marrow Donation in the FAQ), but offering part of your body while you are alive is even beyond that.

Whether or not Tim Cook wants people to hear that he's a good guy, let's acknowledge that he's a good guy.

Jobs chose hippie non medicine over proven science. When he did go back to choosing science it was too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.