Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IconicM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
Guys,

I've been searching the forum for ToDo apps and Note taking apps, but what is the best app if you want to do both in one? In particular, I'm looking for the following features:

Notes Copies Actions to your ToDo list
The scenario I'm thinking of is being in a meeting and taking hand written notes. Then if I get an action item assigned to me, I would like to somehow be able to make that action item automatically be copied into my ToDo list. Is there such a thing? When taking hand written notes, I always put a star next to my action items. It would be cool if there was a way to make a macro where I would maybe draw a box around the action item, then tap on an icon to copy that to my ToDo list.

Hand Writting to Text
Another feature I'm looking for is being able to hand write notes which get translated into typed text, something like the old palm devices did.

Voice to Text
One more feature, looking for something that can record voice with time stamp and also provide a speech-to-text transcript. My friends Android phone has an app that converts his voice-mail to text. He can then reply to the voice-mail by e-mail or text message. I thought this was pretty cool and should be a feature that can be built into a note taking app.

What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Here are some task management suggestions:

You might want to check out the reviews in iTunes to see if they let you take notes like you want.

I prefer Evernote for notes but it doesn't have any kind of todo/calendar plug in.

IconicM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
Thanks Neko Girl,

I have read up a little on most of those, but didn't get the impression that any of those will do both very well. I'll go back and look at those again. Or....

Maybe I should just develop my own app and become a millionaire :D

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Although Pocket Informant can't do notes now - my understanding is that the next version will allow note taking along with its other features.

IconicM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
Thanks Ksmith,

I just picked up the March 2011 issue of Macworld and it includes a series of features based on iPad@Work, so now I have a few suggestions to check out.

Thanks again everyone.

roxette

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
I have the same issue

Hello

I am very curious to hear how you solve your needs after reading the Macworld. Many of us would have the same kind of request and I was using NoteTaker HD for my handwritten notes and every single TODO I entered sometime during sometimes after the meeting into my taksmanager Taska.

Not very handy!

I hope you find an easier and more integrated approach to solve this issue.

Michael

Acevesx

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Bumping an old thread because I am looking for something that does exactly this. Yes I've searched!

Any new suggestions that does what the op was asking? Note taking and to do list/ action items

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Two suggestions:

Notebooks
Available for iOS and OSX
Syncs via Dropbox
DailyNotes
Available for iOS only
Syncs via iCloud or Evernote

Both apps can do notes, tasks and audio.
DailyNotes can be linked to Apple's Reminders.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I am currently using Notebooks as my ToDo and Notetaking app. I have contacted the developer and they stated they are going to be updating the Mac App to include a due time for the ToDo section. Hopefully that happens soon.

I like the app a lot. The fact all of my notes are in one area (work only) and I can see them across both platforms is nice.

I use evernote for personal notes though. I have over a 1000 notes in it and absolutely love it. But it was not conducive to how I take notes or organize them for work.

----------

Although Pocket Informant can't do notes now - my understanding is that the next version will allow note taking along with its other features.

I like pocket informant, and use it, but I don't like the interface and I also find not being able to setup a meeting with invites hurtful to the application. So I mainly use it to get a quick glance at my work day since it spells out each event! Which I do love.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I am currently using Notebooks as my ToDo and Notetaking app. I have contacted the developer and they stated they are going to be updating the Mac App to include a due time for the ToDo section. Hopefully that happens soon.

I like the app a lot. The fact all of my notes are in one area (work only) and I can see them across both platforms is nice.

Same here. I have other whishes for the Mac client though - like the smart folders of the iOS app (Due, Recent, Contexts).
Because of the shallow sync in Notebooks, I've recently picked up Things again for a test run on my todo's.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Same here. I have other whishes for the Mac client though - like the smart folders of the iOS app (Due, Recent, Contexts).
Because of the shallow sync in Notebooks, I've recently picked up Things again for a test run on my todo's.

It is funny you mentioned this, I did the exact same thing. Since it was part of the last Mac bundle, I picked up and I am giving it a test run.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.