Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
is there an adapter? i have a small fortune invested in firewire hard drives and there's no way i'm going to replace them now or in the future.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Hahaah good luck! There's hardly firewire --> to regular USB adapters out there to begin with.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
ZOMG! "This laptop wasn't made for you!"
Here they come again... :rolleyes:

By the way, I love the subtile trolling factor in OP's statement.

It's not for me either, but someone who wants FireWire is kinda asking for a trollish reply. If the MB had one more USB or thunderbolt I might have considered.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
is there an adapter? i have a small fortune invested in firewire hard drives and there's no way i'm going to replace them now or in the future.

There's plenty of usb to FireWire adapters on the market. Won't be long before there's usc-c to FireWire or even a hub

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Firewire is dead, Apple is not going to create a brand new dongle just of that. I'd look at maybe a USB to firewire adapter that would plug into the the USB dongle apple does sell.

The other option is an older or used mac that has a FW port.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
...i'm going to replace them now or in the future.

You probably are going to replace them in the future. ;)

Here are a few serious thoughts, though...

1) I can't recall ever having seen a firewire case made in the past decade that didn't also have a USB port. Your solution might be as simple as a cable change.

2) If your hard drives really are that old, the disk mechanisms inside them are probably at real risk of failure and should be replaced anyway. Old hard drives don't hold much data by modern standards. You could probably buy just one new drive with USB 3 that could hold ALL of the data from your previous drives.

3) If you absolutely want to keep the older drives, you could buy new external USB 3 cases for them.

4) If you don't want to buy any new hardware at all, keep them attached to your old Mac as a file server and connect your new Mac to them over your wired or wireless network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.