Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
The first thought that came to my mind when I saw that single USB-C port was, will it be possible to make a device that can split the USB-C port into 3 ports - one USB-C port so that we can charge the laptop at the same time, and two USB 3 ports so that we can use for other purposes, such as an external drive, Ethernet, etc.

I am surprised it wasn't discussed yet. Everyone is complaining about not being able to charge the Mac and use another device at the same time. I hope my idea is something that will be possible.

Thoughts?

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
My bad!!! This whole time I overlooked the fact that it had a charging port!!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My bad!!! This whole time I overlooked the fact that it had a charging port!!

The idea is that this is supposed to be a universal port. The question is whether you can really charge the rMB at the same time you're connected to an external monitor at the same time you have your media library on an external HD connected at the same time you're backing up the internal SSD and the external HD to another external HD for your TM backups. :confused:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It really looks bulky. And is-it-a-joke expensive. I, for one, would love one with "only" USB-C and USB. Just two or three cables coming out of the USB-C port, or a small "hub" on the other end. No video, no bulk.

apple already has a usb-to-usb adapter. and there are 3rd party peripherals and adapters coming...

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Apple's "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter" is designed to support simultaneous charging via USB-C port, while connecting to HDMI display & using second standard USB3 port.

What I am wondering is - if these functions can be "flipped".. I.e. can the MacBook be charged via standard USB port, while connecting to a high-res display via USB-C to DisplayPort cable, like this one:

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_displayport_cable

I suspect this is not supported, and we have to wait for a multi-purpose USB-C dock (either by Apple or third parties).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.