Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Hi, I bought a vintage floppy disk of Frogger for the Apple //e. It was still shrink wrapped with the original Our Price Records price tag which was pretty cool.

I had nostalgic fun opening it (couldn't resist) but the disk just boot loops.

It displays a one line copyright notice at the top of the screen for a millisecond, then says "REBOOTING" and cycles like that.

Is this likely a dud disk, or could it be a hardware issue?

I only just got the machine, and the one and only other disk I have (An Introduction to the //e) loads fine.

Thanks in advance.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Hi, I bought a vintage floppy disk of Frogger for the Apple //e.
Was it... specifically for the IIe? And do you have a IIe? Or is there a mismatch... it's really for the II+ and you have a IIe, or vice versa?

Some early games were pretty tricky with their copy protection, and if they weren't in an environment they expected, they might go into that reboot loop.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA

IIeBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks!

The floppy worked on the IIe back in the 80s so I'm stumped. Is there any fix I can do to my drive or should I try another drive?

I'm looking for the original rather than emulated.

Thanks in advance!

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
The floppy worked on the IIe back in the 80s so I'm stumped.
Well, not *that* floppy since you tore off the wrapping. So it could be due to a different model of IIe (enhanced vs. unenhanced) or it could be due to bit rot on the floppy you have in your hand now, or it could be the drive rotational speed, or it could be gunk on the read head, or it could be - your faulty recollection.

Is there any fix I can do to my drive or should I try another drive?
Not altogether likely, no.

I'm looking for the original rather than emulated.
Then get yourself some blank disks and copy a cracked version via ADTPro, put it in your Frogger box, and convince yourself it's the real thing. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.