Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
It probably will but it doesn't matter. TB2 is still faster, so this means there will probably be a "thunderbolt to USB-C" hub in the near future.

Also, we still see more USB 2.0 stuff at the stores than we do USB 3.0, and that's something that is backwards compatible. I doubt USB-C will have much better luck, it'll be like thunderbolt where everything is priced higher to make up for the smaller audience. Then when it might start to pick up, we'll see USB-D, 4.0, etc. Nobody will give it any time to grow.

USB-C will see a much faster adoption rate than TB. It is USB after all and there is already another laptop computer out there with USB-C, the new Google chrome book thingie. It is a good solution for the average consumer.

You just compared a mobile GPU to a desktop GPU. Somewhat unfair I would have thought.

Your quote that the M295X can't run games at 5k is true, but it would also be more balanced to point out that the 980M can't either.
Fixed the link :D
The Nvidia is based on the GM204-N16E-GX-A2 architecture, and has on countless reviews been shown to be superior to the amd cards.

Having owned PCs/macs since I was 12, I can actually attest that i have never been content with any AMD gpus, in my experience Nvidia cards seem more reliable and robust.

Yes, the 980M will unlikely let you game in 5K at full settings, but I stand by my convictions, that it would of been a more logical choice than either of the AMD cards.

As this review quite aptly summarised it as: "desktop-like performance for laptops" and being
"the world's fastest notebook GPU"

I hope (and pray) that the reason apple went for the amds cards were due to a supple issues, as when the RiMacs were announced, the nvidia cards had only just been released.

This article by anandtech's Jarred Walton, provides a balanced, proportionate, and in-depth look at the 980M. In regards to >2K gaming, he made the following points:
NVIDIA is billing the GTX 980M as a mobile GPU that targets playable frame rates at resolutions beyond 1080p
For that reason, NVIDIA is billing the GTX 980M as a mobile GPU that targets playable frame rates at resolutions beyond 1080p, and we'll likely see more high-end notebooks ship with 2560x1440, 3K, or even 4K displays. It's probably a bit too much to assume that 3K gaming at 60 FPS will happen on most titles at maximum quality with the 980M, as games like Metro: Last Light and Crysis 3 can be very taxing, but we're definitely getting close to being able to max out settings on most games.

Head over to anandtech forums and see real life experiences of 4k gaming with the 980M, not bad imo.

Meanwhile, the M290X struggles with basic functioning such as browsing large pdfs, opening multiple tabs in safri. As mentioned before, the M295X is a mighty big upgrade, but i still feel the 980M should be added as an option.
----------

USB-C will see a much faster adoption rate than TB. It is USB after all and there is already another laptop computer out there with USB-C, the new Google chrome book thingie. It is a good solution for the average consumer.

Agreed, i think it will complement tb3 ports nicely, but can not and should not replace tb3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.