Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
The reason Apple dropped the MagSafe charger in the new MacBook might be because they're planning to replace it with something better. Look at this picture again.

retinamacbookbatteries-800x560.jpg

The only free space seems to be around the trackpad. That could be where they are planning to place an inductive charging coil. When you think about it, that would be the easiest part of the laptop to line up with some sort of charging mat.

I know inductive charging doesn't carry well through a metal casing. But neither does visible light, and they still managed that with the 'sleep' LED. So who's to say that they can't make the metal super-thin for that part of the casing so it lets through the charge, but still looks like metal?

Needless to say, it would be proprietary and incompatible with non-Apple products, like MagSafe all over again.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Isn't the case reeeeeally thin there - is there space enough there? (Question, not argument.) As for the metal case, look at the back of your cell iPad. Cut out a section big enough for wireless access and cover it with plastic. The esthetics go down a few notches but utility goes way up, and Apple has already bitten this bullet with the iPad.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The reason Apple dropped the MagSafe charger in the new MacBook might be because they're planning to replace it with something better. Look at this picture again.

The only free space seems to be around the trackpad. That could be where they are planning to place an inductive charging coil. When you think about it, that would be the easiest part of the laptop to line up with some sort of charging mat.

I know inductive charging doesn't carry well through a metal casing. But neither does visible light, and they still managed that with the 'sleep' LED. So who's to say that they can't make the metal super-thin for that part of the casing so it lets through the charge, but still looks like metal?

Needless to say, it would be proprietary and incompatible with non-Apple products, like MagSafe all over again.

Inductive coils can be stuck to the inside of the base as they can be made wafer thin and flat so there's no need to modify jam in or change anything. The downside is the tech is slow so it won't happen any time soon. The more promising tech is the wifi charger thing at ces.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
The issue with cordless charging is time. Until Apple, or any company, is able to increase the speed of charging without cords it will not see the insides of any device.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Inductive charging is less efficient (slower), so while they can do that for the Watch's relatively smallish battery, I say don't hold your breath for the full size laptop. Eventually, maybe.

IMO the reasons they went with USB-C because (1) Thin case can't fit regular USB port any more, (2) Apple is obsessed with 1-cable solution like their universal serial Apple port they used to sport.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Inductive charging is less efficient (slower), so while they can do that for the Watch's relatively smallish battery, I say don't hold your breath for the full size laptop. Eventually, maybe.

IMO the reasons they went with USB-C because (1) Thin case can't fit regular USB port any more, (2) Apple is obsessed with 1-cable solution like their universal serial Apple port they used to sport.

Agreed. The think the main reason Apple dropped the MagSafe and went with a one port C is because there is no space in the device. If there was space I'm betting there would be a MagSafe charging connection and one USB port.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
At the event i question two Apple employees just in case one is lied and the main reason is that the magsafe in test when you drag the power cable ,becaus of its weight the laptop was pulled as well
One of them told be to test this issue with a 15" macbook pro and with the 11" macbook air
And yes the 15 not even moved and not a chance to manage to move with draging the magsefe even on a wood table but the 11" macook air is so easy based on wgat table surface is.
So with an even lighter device than the 11" no use for the magsafe
The macbook pro will have magsafe for the next five years for sure

Four by Six

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
The issue with cordless charging is time. Until Apple, or any company, is able to increase the speed of charging without cords it will not see the insides of any device.

The Rezence spec includes Class 4 up to 22W for tablets and a Class 5 for laptops that is still TBD. That is at the input side. The power delivered to device is around 35% of that.

The MacBook power supply is 29W, so it is not inconceivable that Rezence technology could be used, eventually, assuming it is ready in time for Skylake.

My bigger worry would be the inductive field interfering with the haptic touch engine, as those magnetic coils sure look like they would couple with the inductive charging field, if the charging coil was indeed put around the trackpad mechanism.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
The Rezence spec includes Class 4 up to 22W for tablets and a Class 5 for laptops that is still TBD. That is at the input side. The power delivered to device is around 35% of that.

The MacBook power supply is 29W, so it is not inconceivable that Rezence technology could be used, eventually, assuming it is ready in time for Skylake.

My bigger worry would be the inductive field interfering with the haptic touch engine, as those magnetic coils sure look like they would couple with the inductive charging field, if the charging coil was indeed put around the trackpad mechanism.

It is not just an issue of proper charging but of proper use. With cordless charging there is a "charging pad" or some sort of docking area where devices need to be placed. If that is the case you cannot use a laptop while it's being charge unless it's on the dock/pad area.

That is not user friendly. With a charging cord a user can sit comfortably on a desk, table or couch and plug in their laptop for charging. With the requirement of any sort of third device dock/pad it will make laptops less convenient.

While I realize some people want the "next big thing" and that may be cordless charging. In reality it is not very user friendly when it comes to a laptop. Other devices are another story. If I had the option of a cord or cordless charging today, I would choose the cord.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
At the event i question two Apple employees just in case one is lied and the main reason is that the magsafe in test when you drag the power cable ,becaus of its weight the laptop was pulled as well
One of them told be to test this issue with a 15" macbook pro and with the 11" macbook air
And yes the 15 not even moved and not a chance to manage to move with draging the magsefe even on a wood table but the 11" macook air is so easy based on wgat table surface is.
So with an even lighter device than the 11" no use for the magsafe
The macbook pro will have magsafe for the next five years for sure

As far as the rMB goes, that makes sense - though I guess you could use less powerful magnets... ;)

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I don't see it happening without some radical innovations to help with efficiency. As others have said already, inductive charging is inherently less efficient than plugging in a live wire. So, not only would it take a long time to charge a large battery pack - but it would also be a bad idea ecologically if everyone went down this path. There is a reason why even phones with inductive charging do allow for a cable based charging option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.