Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Japan
I've been hoping that I can make it all the way from 4S to 6S without a battery change or a phone change, but it's starting to look a bit grim when I think of what another 400 cycles are going to do to my battery. For the time being I have one of those external battery chargers for when I know I'll be away from sockets for a long time. Ugh.

Battery

CycleCount: 1193
DesignCapacity: 1430
FullChargeCapacity: 1017
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 37
BatteryIsCharging: true
ExternalChargeCapable: false
ExternalConnected: true
FullyCharged: false
GasGaugeCapability: true

daniesy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
On my iPhone 6 with which i have battery problems (it gets depleted 1% every ~7mins with max screen brightness and no apps installed) i get this.
Why is Design Capacity > FullChargeCapacity?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-11-19 04.27.37.png
    Screenshot 2014-11-19 04.27.37.png
    22 KB · Views: 3,869

PetrosMac

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2014
Genoa,Italy
On my iPhone 6 with which i have battery problems (it gets depleted 1% every ~7mins with max screen brightness and no apps installed) i get this.
Why is Design Capacity > FullChargeCapacity?

It's a bug of iBackupBot that's why the design capacity is bigger than the full charge capacity.They should fix it!If you jailbreak there is a tweak to see the health of the battery but to tell the truth you should not worry about that now!Enjoy your iPhone :)

Beyls

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Behold...

I think I might have the iphone with the worst battery in the world (iphone5, almost 2years old). Sometimes my battery jumps from 71% to 1%.

Battery
CycleCount: 917
FullChargeCapacity: 500

Going to order a new battery and replace it myself because my screen is cracked.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2014-12-29 om 19.56.53.png
    Schermafbeelding 2014-12-29 om 19.56.53.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 396

Vanilya

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2015
Can someone please tell me what this information from iBackupBot means?

I recently got a refurbished iPhone after AppleCare decided not to replace/repair my battery. But I do not see any difference in battery usage in comparison with my own iPhone. The battery is empty just as fast.... :(

Battery

CycleCount: 2
FullChargeCapacity: 1393
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 28
ExternalChargeCapable: true

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Can someone please tell me what this information from iBackupBot means?

I recently got a refurbished iPhone after AppleCare decided not to replace/repair my battery. But I do not see any difference in battery usage in comparison with my own iPhone. The battery is empty just as fast.... :(

Battery

CycleCount: 2
FullChargeCapacity: 1393
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 28

Battery is fine.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
You can no longer get diagnostic info from Apple support website. It runs the diagnostics but it will never show you the results. =(

Wackadoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2015
Here are some helpful tips for everyone:

1) Everytime you plug your phone in, whether it's to the wall or to computer, it counts as a charge cycle.
2) Try to avoid tethering to computer unless you absolutely have to. If you do, leave it until fully charged.
3) Try to avoid quick charges... I.E. Your battery is at 50% and you have a 20 minute window to shove a little more in. Don't do this!
4) Try not to charge until below 20%. Much better to wait til below 3%. Whenever you do charge, leave plugged into until completely full...not 99%. Completely full.
5) Once a month, drain the battery completely.

If you follow these tips, you'll save cycle counts, your battery won't suffer from weird drain issues, your battery's health will be fine and you will go years before needing to replace it.

This is absolutely hysterical every item is incorrect.

Reactions: HEK

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
This is a jailbreak app I assume? What's the name of it?

For anyone else wondering, it's simply called BatteryLife and is available on Cydia.

It's free and has an option to disable ads with the idea that you donate via Paypal but you don't have to(I leave the ads on).

I bought my 5S one year ago and it's saying the battery health is 90%(326 cycles) which is good, I think.

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
I had an eventful weekend. Recently I've noticed my 5S shuts down at around 8-9% and displays the 'battery low' symbol if I try turning it on again. If I leave it for a few minutes and try again it'll start up and work for about ten seconds before forcing a shutdown and displaying the symbol once more.

The more often I do this, the quicker it shuts down.

I figured the phone is shutting down at the wrong level so I figured it was time for a calibration.

Because of the strange battery level situation I knew it would take a loooong time to drain the battery down enough so I left it to discharge Saturday night and all day Sunday(having no phone was quite liberating!), periodically trying to turn it on to drain the battery more.

Sunday night I kept it on charge until this morning.

Battery health dropped to 83% :(

So I figured the previous 90% value was wrong and the new value means the battery will go below 9% without shutting down. It's back up to 87% health so I'm not sure. If I find myself outside with low battery I'll see how low it can go but I want to keep the battery above 40% for a while to give it a break!

nenchew

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2015
CycleCount: 316
DesignCapacity: 1550
FullChargeCapacity: 1400
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 71

My phone is year and 2 months old. My battery was doing strange things. For example I use it and when it is around 31-32% it immediately goes down to 20% when I click dismiss it goes down to 10% for a minute when I click dismiss again it goes down to 5% and I plug it in the charger it shows 28-29%. Then I did a clear reset and my battery last for 4.30/5 hours of usage. My background app refresh is off/siri is off/location services on most of the apps are off/bluetooth is off/ mail is manually updated/try to use it on wi-fi whenever possible.

P.S: I did an iOS diagnosis as I read on previous posts but is Apple going to send me an actual battery health status?

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
CycleCount: 316
DesignCapacity: 1550
FullChargeCapacity: 1400

BatteryCurrentCapacity: 71

Battery health is easy to find. Just divide FullChargeCapacity by DesignCapacity. So your battery health is:

1400/1550 = 90%

However, I think you may have the same problem I did if the percentage goes crazy near the bottom. Time for a calibration, I think. If yours is shutting down very soon after 20% then I think you will have to leave the phone off for even longer than I did to calibrate the battery. Or keep trying to turn it on to drain it more quickly. Also, I've read that doing a soft reset(holding power button + home button for 6 seconds) clears the battery cache and can give a more accurate answer.

I'm guessing your battery health is closer to 80%.

nenchew

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2015
Battery health is easy to find. Just divide FullChargeCapacity by DesignCapacity. So your battery health is:

1400/1550 = 90%

However, I think you may have the same problem I did if the percentage goes crazy near the bottom. Time for a calibration, I think. If yours is shutting down very soon after 20% then I think you will have to leave the phone off for even longer than I did to calibrate the battery. Or keep trying to turn it on to drain it more quickly. Also, I've read that doing a soft reset(holding power button + home button for 6 seconds) clears the battery cache and can give a more accurate answer.

I'm guessing your battery health is closer to 80%.

I did what you told me to do with the calibration of the battery and I think my phone is doing really well right now. I disconnected it from the charger 7.30 AM local time, now it is 4.30 PM local time and my phone has ~40% of battery. I am using it with no restrictions. I was using it a lot for web browsing on 3G /texting, social media like Facebook,Twitter,Messenger/ Talking on 3G via Viber and regular calls. I think it works for now but I cannot say exactly the usage because I have to charge it again to 100% because now it shows only -

Thank you so much.

I will keep you up to date if anything changes

Update: My phone usage status is 4hours30minutes
http://prikachi.com/images/178/7917178W.jpg

Last edited:

wylde06

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Battery

CycleCount: 761
FullChargeCapacity: 800
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 93

Going to buy a replacement battery here soon...

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
I did what you told me to do with the calibration of the battery and I think my phone is doing really well right now.

Great news! Unfortunately it seems my iPhone is now doing what your iPhone did - shutting down at 20%!

I can take it to the Apple Store but I might just keep it like this and remember that 20% really means 0%, then I'll visit the Apple Store near the end of my AppleCare to get maximum benefit.

Maybe I'll try another calibration but I think I'll need a few days to do it. Draining 10% took a day and a night! Also, I think I'll leave it for a few months and just be careful/keep a charger with me.

One thing I didn't do, which people recommend, is to turn the phone off when charging it during calibration. I left mine on. I'll turn it off and keep it in the hall where it's cold (~13'C)

Last edited:

eddified

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Hi guys,

I have bought two used iPhone 5s's from ebay. I will return one of them. Based on battery alone, which one would you keep?

For both phones, the design capacity is 1550.

iPhone A has 255 cycles and max capacity of 1600 (!)
iPhone B has 157 cycles and max capacity of 1500.

So (A) has more cycles but higher capacity than (B). Which one would you keep?

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Japan
Still chugging along with my original 4S battery. iBackupBot is actually showing the capacity having moved up a bit now. Maybe I can make it through another six months.

CycleCount: 1417
FullChargeCapacity: 1100

wedda

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
My iphone 5:

CycleCount: 479
FullChargeCapacity: 700

I think its strange that the battery just after 479 cycles have halved.. Anything I can do about this?
Changing the battery is 79 euros....

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
My iphone 5:

CycleCount: 479
FullChargeCapacity: 700

I think its strange that the battery just after 479 cycles have halved.. Anything I can do about this?
Changing the battery is 79 euros....

Temperature will affect the full capacity. I have the same phone and the Max capacity is 700 when cold and 1000 when warm. 475 cycles.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I use coconut battery on my MBA to keep track of my macbook's battery and of the iPad and iPhone when I connect them.
It gives me load cycles and current battery's capacity and even tells me how much Watt are used to charge the battery.

soniasim

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
This is admittedly self promotional, but it directly addresses the OP's question: My app, Battery Health, shows all of this information (and more) without having to use something like iBackupBot. Here's a screenshot:
View attachment 606981

It's not free, but it's easier to use than some of these alternatives.
Hey, thanx for this, just bought your app, you did a great job with it! I've been using ibackupbot for years but was never really satisfied with it and I was always searching for an alternative and also nice looking iphone app. Keep it up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.