Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lilybee28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Today I went to use my iMac purchased in 2008. I tried to power it on and it wouldn't turn on. I checked the power cord. Everything is fine with the outlet. I unplugged the power cord, unplugged the Ethernet, and tried to turn it on again. This time it started. I was flooded with relief. But after about two minutes it randomly shut down again and won't turn on. What could be causing this problem? It's been working fine until now and it definitely is not overheating... Could it be a power surge or something wrong with the socket or is my computer just dying?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your power supply maybe starting to fail. Try leaving it unplugged for an extended period of time and try it again.

Lilybee28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Okay. If I unplug it for five minutes or so it turns on for about 30 seconds. What does it mean that the power supply is starting to fail?

Lilybee28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Well at least I have a diagnosis ! Thanks :)
Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you can get it to turn on, maybe never turn it off again. Other than that, replacing the power supply, if it is the cause, would correct the problem.

Lilybee28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
It won't stay on / it shuts down in a minute or two. Is this a problem of age? I am wondering if it is due to the poor wiring in the apartment I am subletting. There are several light fixtures that don't work and about three weeks ago the light fixture in the bathroom just died. When I first moved in I had a modem that suddenly died and all of the subsequent comcast equipment I rented has functioned poorly. The tv and Xbox have always worked fine though. Was there some surge or problem with the electrical outlet that made the PSU fail so suddenly or should
I expect this with a seven year old unit?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I may be a problem with the wiring. It is an older machine, but they aren't really old enough to start having these problems unless defective or caused by external forces, such as bad wiring. If you can, try using it in another area outside of your apartment to see if it still has problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.