Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twomartoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Hi everyone,

Anyone with a New macpro late 2013 experience constant freezing/crashes, sound and beachball still working but system becomes unresponsive? Force quit option will not open.

I have a d300 6 core 12gig. Crash logs shows many gpurestarts. Did, all the pram, smc, safeboot...etc.. Problem does not seem to go away. Seems to be happening with videos in full screen, be it chrome, vlc, quicktime. I hope the problem might just be shoddy software engineering and trivial update to fix, rather than a gpu hardware issue. Its becoming rather frustrating to have a beautiful but unreliable computer.

The nearest real Apple store is several countries away, so authorised repair people is my last option which I hope it will not come down to as work will take a big hit.

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Create another install of OS X. Bingo, you have your answer.

All you need is another TB Mac or an external USB drive , or a 2nd partition on your existing drive.

About a million possible ways to get the answer.

twomartoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
"Create another install of OS X. Bingo, you have your answer."

Yes, that is an answer for a probable fix.
but I was just wondering if the constant crashes are an endemic amongst New mac pros 2013

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
"Create another install of OS X. Bingo, you have your answer."

Yes, that is an answer for a probable fix.
but I was just wondering if the constant crashes are an endemic amongst New mac pros 2013

A number of people on various forums have had their gpu restart problems fixed with either new gpu cards or replacement machines. That's been my experience as well - I had constant crashes that were fixed with a replacement. Because these problems started happening roughly around the time of the Yosemite release, a lot of people have assumed its a software problem with Yosemite. However, there are plenty of nMP owners who run Yosemite with no gpu problems whatsoever, so the software explanation doesn't fit. Reinstalling the OS is always a good first step but if the problem continues, you may want to find a good repair center.

twomartoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Yea, edanuff, I think u hit the nail on the head. The crash problem only became noticeable with yosemite. I wish there was a way to replicate this issue reliably.

If anyone's curious, the crash mainly happens when watching watching video , fullscreen, youtube, vlc, quicktime. And also try scrubbing the timeline energetically. I have 2 dell monitors, one to thunderbolt and the other to hdmi.

I'm still hoping that the fix is trivial.

Monyx

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
Australia
Reviving an old thread...similar issues except my nmp 12c at work would most crash upon waking from sleep or even from screen blanker - screen corruption with numerous gpu restarts and kernel panics in console.
Got it back from Apple today, found problem with GPUs - both D700 replaced, a connector cable and the wireless/BT all replaced under warranty.

twomartoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Reviving an old thread...similar issues except my nmp 12c at work would most crash upon waking from sleep or even from screen blanker - screen corruption with numerous gpu restarts and kernel panics in console.
Got it back from Apple today, found problem with GPUs - both D700 replaced, a connector cable and the wireless/BT all replaced under warranty.

nice. Please post back if u get another gpu crash. That might rule out problems with software. Was ur crash random or replicable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.