Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
can't satisfy you with port comfort out of the box
what is port comfort?

People on these forums are port hungry users. They always gripe about (iPhone, iPad, various other Apple products) not having enough ports for the various things that might come up even if their issue/use case rarely if ever comes up.

Last edited:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
People on these forums are port hungry users. They always gripe about (iPhone, iPad, various other Apple products) not having enough ports for the various things that might come up even if their issure rarely if ever comes up.

Frequency of need or opportunity doesn't invalidate their preference for connectivity options. Many lonely guys out there still have a preference for women, even if they rarely have an opportunity to "interface" with one.

gregvet

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Brighton, UK
Re ports

Frequency of need or opportunity doesn't invalidate their preference for connectivity options. Many lonely guys out there still have a preference for women, even if they rarely have an opportunity to "interface" with one.

And how many women should said guys be able to interface with at once?

Last time I checked one good interface was all I needed.

Obviously it remains to be seen if USBC is as good as apple obviously believe it will be tho ;-)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

We are talking about machines here. Frequency of need does matter when there are other connectivity options when discussing machines like cloud, airdrop, drop box etc..and you can still use various usbc dongles. So...

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
And how many women should said guys be able to interface with at once?
Wait what... I just caught this. :eek::D

The other guy comparing women with machines wow! No wonder men have a hard time courting women for developer jobs.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I don't think you need a "list" of reasons not to buy, but rather figure out what is the best tool for the job. If its not a good fit for you, move on - simple :)

Sooo.... you're a moderator who is trying to stifle a forum member from expressing himself?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Sooo.... you're a moderator who is trying to stifle a forum member from expressing himself?

offering good, productive advice is hardly stifling someone from expressing themselves. but this forum could do with more discussion (of all points of view), and less whining...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
First and foremost, moderators (and Admins) are members, too. That means that they are going to have thoughts and opinions of their own and also the ability to participate in the community as a member. The moderation responsibilities and duties are there for some particular members here, sure, but they do not mean that those members cannot express his or her own thoughts and make suggestions which are not at all related to the concept of actually moderating a thread or a post. If I make a post in a thread about, say, coffee, and a moderator also makes a comment in response to my post, it could just be about the coffee or responding to whatever it was I'd said, rather than an actual moderation action with regard to my post. Right? Moderators and Admins are members, too!

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I still can't get over the presentation of the new MacBook. ONE USB-C slot? Seriously? I'm already very concerned about all upcoming MacBook Pros, Airs and what else will follow. The design is so perversely radical, it gives me creeps!

That one, heavy obsolescence plagued, USB-C is pure nightmare. Why not two? Why isn't there a SD-Card slot? How am I supposed to download pictures/videos from my DSLR camera FAST? Oh yeah... I actually do own a WiFi SD-Card but it's SLOW, so don't bother telling me of 'modern' possibilities. I'm afraid that Jonny Ive and his team are completely out of touch with reality. I could rant on and on... so I'll rather summarize all my reasons/use cases why I hate the new MacBook design in a quick list:

1. One (1) USB-C port <- I call that usability sadism 'Designed in California'
  2. product is designed with focus on obsolescence (USB-C port breaks -> dead laptop)
  3. you, your pet/kid/colleague trip over the cable -> dead laptop, because no MagSafe
  4. can't run an external HDD and charge simultaneously -> battery dies during file transfer, files are f*
  5. can't use an ergonomic/precise 7-8 button gaming mouse, because there are no USB-C models available yet (for Photoshop/Illustrator, duh)
  6. can't download pictures/HD videos from your DSLR, because no SD-card slot
  7. have to carry bazillion adapters with you (with total weight as heavy as the new MacBook itself) to get through the day/meetings on a business trip
  8. can't charge your iPhone and/or iPad via the MacBook while it is charging itself (without relying on the above mentioned big ugly adapters)
  9. the HDMI/USB-A/USB-C port replicator dongle is not shipped with the new Mac ( pay $80 extra for today's common standards -> blatant scam)
  10. can't run an external display without a big/fat/expensive adapter (and charge battery)
  11. can't connect a graphics tablet (e.g. Wacom) directly
  12. can't have a nice FaceTime/Skype call, because your front camera is 480p
  13. can't have a shiny apple logo glowing in the dark on the back of your screen (hey, this is important too :D)
  14. can't plug in any common USB stick directly, so can't share files without a WiFi network (e.g from your friends/colleagues/Windows PC )
  15. can't use your over-expensive Thunderbolt display
  16. can't use any of your Thunderbolt peripherals (e.g. for file storage)
  17. can't run two displays
  18. can't satisfy you with port comfort out of the box

So if there are lots of CAN'Ts, then the question is; what this crippled but expensive machine CAN DO for you?

It's basically an iPad running OS X on an Intel CPU.

I'm so MAD at Apple design team.... :mad:

By the way, this old advertisement deserves a revival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnOCUkbix0

Apple was looking for the perfect anti-consumer to test this product on and they found you!!

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Does the OP realize that 14 of his 18 reasons are the same: issues with the single USB-C port? All he has shown me is that he needs a laptop with at least a couple of USB-A ports, a power port, an SD card reader port and a Thunderbolt port.

Oh my God!!! It turns out there is an Apple laptop that has all that: the Retina MacBook Pro. And... Holy Mother of God! it also has the better Facetime Camera and a faster CPU. This is amazing!!!!! He should just get one of those.

Whew... his problems are solved.

Now, back to tech-lust thoughts of the little 12" retina, 2 pound, almost port-less wonder that I cannot wait to buy on Friday!

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I love reading all this! It's like a bunch of kids in the playground.

"The new Macbook is rubbish"
"Don't like it, don't buy it"
"Don't tell me what I should buy"
"Apple are the best"
"Apple are terrible"
"TROLL!"
Blah blah blah!!

So entertaining!

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Does the OP realize that 14 of his 18 reasons are the same: issues with the single USB-C port? All he has shown me is that he needs a laptop with at least a couple of USB-A ports, a power port, an SD card reader port and a Thunderbolt port.

Oh my God!!! It turns out there is an Apple laptop that has all that: the Retina MacBook Pro. And... Holy Mother of God! it also has the better Facetime Camera and a faster CPU. This is amazing!!!!! He should just get one of those.

Whew... his problems are solved.

Now, back to tech-lust thoughts of the little 12" retina, 2 pound, almost port-less wonder that I cannot wait to buy on Friday!

kaaapow... :cool:

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I wonder if this problem stems from the confusing name of the product--MacBook. Historically, the MacBook name has been used for products that can be used by anyone from designers with serious computing needs to English majors in need of a dependable word processor. The new MB is simply not a pro level computer. If Apple would call it the MacBook Light and didn't require the sacrifice of a newborn son to pay for it, the design might make more sense. However, the price-point and name suggest a powerful, adaptive machine--not a gold plated netbook.

Just my 2 cents.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I wonder if this problem stems from the confusing name of the product--MacBook. Historically, the MacBook name has been used for products that can be used by anyone from designers with serious computing needs to English majors in need of a dependable word processor. The new MB is simply not a pro level computer. If Apple would call it the MacBook Light and didn't require the sacrifice of a newborn son to pay for it, the design might make more sense. However, the price-point and name suggest a powerful, adaptive machine--not a gold plated netbook.

Just my 2 cents.

People who keep flinging "netbook" around have probably never owned a netbook. They are certainly not thinking about the fact that if the rMB is a "netbook" then probably 60% of Mac notebooks in use today are in fact netbooks not notebooks.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I'm baffled as to why people like this post. It's basically trolling. I can't imagine creating a new thread any time any major company released a product that wasn't targeted toward my specific demographic. Makes me wonder how much time this guy has on his hands.

----------

Just my 2 cents.

Your two cents are worth about that, nothing more. Your uneducated comments demonstrate a clear lack of education as to the history of the Mac line. Do you not remember in 2005-2006 when Apple had the macbook line? It was targeted toward students, people who used it for word processing, email, web surfing, etc... Not the professional, but then again, how do you define professional? A lawyer who spends 8 hours a day in court seems pretty professional to me. Perfect new laptop for them. An accountant who is on-site at clients locations all day seems pretty professional to me.

I think your definition of professional is skewed to those doing video editing, and photoshop rendering. You do realize those professions, specifically those positions within the professions make up less than 1/10th of the work force in America, right? Stop saying the product sucks just because it doesn't work for 1%... almost any position in any company would be able to get the same use out of this laptop as any other laptop on the market. Most professional workers spend their day working on emails, spreadsheets, word docs, web surfing, etc.

My guess is most the complaints are from people who aren't even in the industries where this would make a difference.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I don't claim to know what a "professional" notebook is, but the best candidate was probably those 7 pound (guessing) 17" MacBooks with dual batteries and more connectors than you could imagine - oh, and an optical drive. They were really about as close to a desktop replacement as you can get, but the market for those was razor thin, there were IIRC some technical issues (no 17" retina panels) and they were discontinued (to the continuing chagrin of a very vocal minority). I will stick my head out and say I don't really see anything terribly "pro" about the excellent rMBP lineup. They're just more fully featured, which doesn't seem like the same thing as "professional." YMMV, I suppose.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I don't claim to know what a "professional" notebook is, but the best candidate was probably those 7 pound (guessing) 17" MacBooks with dual batteries and more connectors than you could imagine - oh, and an optical drive. They were really about as close to a desktop replacement as you can get, but the market for those was razor thin, there were IIRC some technical issues (no 17" retina panels) and they were discontinued (to the continuing chagrin of a very vocal minority). I will stick my head out and say I don't really see anything terribly "pro" about the excellent rMBP lineup. They're just more fully featured, which doesn't seem like the same thing as "professional." YMMV, I suppose.

The problem is Apple created a line that someone who buys then thinks they're a professional because they bought a "pro" computer... when the term "pro" really refers to nothing more than "deluxe" or "premium" in the case as is.

It's like if someone gets the base model of a car, vs going for the "Limited" ... there's nothing limited about the model, it's just a marketing term used to play to the emotions of the buyer.

I would bet that admit it or not, most the people who buy the professional models do so because it makes them feel more important, be it an artificial feeling or otherwise. LOL

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The problem is Apple created a line that someone who buys then thinks they're a professional because they bought a "pro" computer... when the term "pro" really refers to nothing more than "deluxe" or "premium" in the case as is.

It's like if someone gets the base model of a car, vs going for the "Limited" ... there's nothing limited about the model, it's just a marketing term used to play to the emotions of the buyer.

I would bet that admit it or not, most the people who buy the professional models do so because it makes them feel more important, be it an artificial feeling or otherwise. LOL

Dunno about the last paragraph - agree on the first two, but that's marketing for you. ;) And I strongly agree on your paragraph further above about professionals who use computers for their work, most (maybe nearly all of which) seldom requires more than Word, Excel and a few other productivity apps, whoops, I meant to say: programs. ;)

ucfgrad11

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
I'm baffled as to why people like this post. It's basically trolling. I can't imagine creating a new thread any time any major company released a product that wasn't targeted toward my specific demographic. Makes me wonder how much time this guy has on his hands.

----------

Your two cents are worth about that, nothing more. Your uneducated comments demonstrate a clear lack of education as to the history of the Mac line. Do you not remember in 2005-2006 when Apple had the macbook line? It was targeted toward students, people who used it for word processing, email, web surfing, etc... Not the professional, but then again, how do you define professional? A lawyer who spends 8 hours a day in court seems pretty professional to me. Perfect new laptop for them. An accountant who is on-site at clients locations all day seems pretty professional to me.

I think your definition of professional is skewed to those doing video editing, and photoshop rendering. You do realize those professions, specifically those positions within the professions make up less than 1/10th of the work force in America, right? Stop saying the product sucks just because it doesn't work for 1%... almost any position in any company would be able to get the same use out of this laptop as any other laptop on the market. Most professional workers spend their day working on emails, spreadsheets, word docs, web surfing, etc.

My guess is most the complaints are from people who aren't even in the industries where this would make a difference.

I'm an accountant and we would never use something like this at work. Macs just don't have the software able to run our programs. I mean we use i7's at work and sometimes even that can be a little slow.

I can agree with monty saying that Macs today are just used as netbooks. Me and everyone I know that has a Mac for home use could get away with using just an iPad with our daily computer use at home. But I don't like holding the tablet so I like laptops better naturally.

But I don't think the new Macbook sucks or anything. I just don't know whether I should get this or the 256GB Air. The thing that "scares" me about this laptop is not the ports, the only port I use it the USB to charge my phone, but rather the keyboard. It seems kind of "cheap" like an iPad third party keyboard. And I don't really like the way the keyboard takes up the entire space. I like my 13" MBP where there's a little space between the side and the keys. But haven't not seen the actual Macbook this is just my assumption. Also, I don't know how the sound quality will be. And the headphone jack on the right is a little confusing just because I'm used to it on the left. Honestly, if Apple had just put the black bezel on the Air I probably wouldn't even consider the new rMB.

This is from the standpoint of a home/casual user. I really don't have much computer spec knowledge or anything like that. So this is probably worth less than my 2 cents.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I'm an accountant and we would never use something like this at work. Macs just don't have the software able to run our programs. I mean we use i7's at work and sometimes even that can be a little slow.

I can agree with monty saying that Macs today are just used as netbooks. Me and everyone I know that has a Mac for home use could get away with using just an iPad with our daily computer use at home. But I don't like holding the tablet so I like laptops better naturally.

But I don't think the new Macbook sucks or anything. I just don't know whether I should get this or the 256GB Air. The thing that "scares" me about this laptop is not the ports, the only port I use it the USB to charge my phone, but rather the keyboard. It seems kind of "cheap" like an iPad third party keyboard. And I don't really like the way the keyboard takes up the entire space. I like my 13" MBP where there's a little space between the side and the keys. But haven't not seen the actual Macbook this is just my assumption. Also, I don't know how the sound quality will be. And the headphone jack on the right is a little confusing just because I'm used to it on the left. Honestly, if Apple had just put the black bezel on the Air I probably wouldn't even consider the new rMB.

This is from the standpoint of a home/casual user. I really don't have much computer spec knowledge or anything like that. So this is probably worth less than my 2 cents.

An accountant who says "But I don't think the new Macbook sucks or anything."

LOL

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Did you get the time machine out to find that quote? ;) :D

----------

I don't think you need to have much computer spec knowledge. The only question that matters is will it do what you want it to do in a way that you feel comfortable doing it? The keyboard could be brilliant - or a fail. Same for the trackpad. Some will love it/them, some will not. It's all good. Too many people seem to think things have to be black or white - gray is ok.

Except when you're signing an audit report... :eek: :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.