Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
Hey guys,

Whenever I use Apple Maps and Google Maps I have the same frustrating problem. Whenever I zoom in/out, the map tilts slightly (sometimes a lot). Then I need to reset it by tapping on the compass. Especially when I'm holding the iphone and manipulating the screen with the same hand.

Is it possible to 'lock' the map so it always points north, like in the old versions? I really never, ever, ever need to manually point the map somewhere.

Reactions: xpxp2002

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Really? I don't use google maps, but I use Apple's maps and I don't have this problem at all, even when making fairly wild pinch-zoom gestures.

There isn't a way to lock it in Apple maps. I don't know about Google's maps.

Perhaps work on your pinching technique? :p

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys,

Whenever I use Apple Maps and Google Maps I have the same frustrating problem. Whenever I zoom in/out, the map tilts slightly (sometimes a lot). Then I need to reset it by tapping on the compass. Especially when I'm holding the iphone and manipulating the screen with the same hand.

Is it possible to 'lock' the map so it always points north, like in the old versions? I really never, ever, ever need to manually point the map somewhere.

Work on your pinching. And how bad can it be, really?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I love it. Apple removes a feature that someone apparently requires and, rather than offer help or a solution, people blame the one asking for help. :rolleyes:

Sadly, it's now a missing feature in both maps and the only option (at this point) is to send feedback requesting it.

Reactions: glowplug

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
Work on your pinching. And how bad can it be, really?

Well for one, the previous version didn't do this. Honestly what use does this 'feature' provide anyway? Maps around here always oriented with north up.

But the real problem is when using the phone one handed with the same hand holding the phone (e.g. while lost in town). Sometimes I send the map on this disorienting spin. I see other people do this too.

I want my old google maps back :(

Sadly, it's now a missing feature in both maps and the only option (at this point) is to send feedback requesting it.

Cheers. Will do.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Well for one, the previous version didn't do this. Honestly what use does this 'feature' provide anyway? Maps around here always oriented with north up.

But the real problem is when using the phone one handed with the same hand holding the phone (e.g. while lost in town). Sometimes I send the map on this disorienting spin. I see other people do this too.

I want my old google maps back :(

Cheers. Will do.

The easy fix for 'sending the map on a disorienting spin' is to just hit the 'Current Location' compass in the bottom left. When holding the phone in one hand, it's tough to pinch the map.

The new Google Maps is far better than the last one. Suggested places for one. Also, a Yelp-like suggestion engine for 'restaurants, bars, gas stations' etc.

Not to mention the level of detail compared to Apple Maps.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK

That's because the previous version was bitmap based and unable to rotate. The main reason it does now is for turn by turn navigation.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
That's because the previous version was bitmap based and unable to rotate. The main reason it does now is for turn by turn navigation.

The old version rotated just fine and had an 'orientation lock' which has since been removed. The only limitation the bitmap images caused was that it couldn't zoom in/out smoothly.

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Australia

The previous map rotated just fine on compass mode.

The easy fix for 'sending the map on a disorienting spin' is to just hit the 'Current Location' compass in the bottom left. When holding the phone in one hand, it's tough to pinch the map..

I used to be able to zoom with one hand just fine. But ever since iOS 6, I can't. Having to tap the compass every time is frustrating. I don't deny that the new map isn't much better, but using it is like holding on to a slippery fish.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is strange. Neither Apple Maps nor Google Maps auto rotates on my phone--I have to actually select the location icon at the bottom left (usually tapping it twice actually) before it would rotate to follow my phone vs. simply pointing north.

That said, I just played around zooming in and out, and noticed that if I try to pinch-to-zoom or the opposite of that to zoom out, if I rotate my fingers a bit while doing it it will rotate the map in addition to zooming in or out. Typically it doesn't happen as I don't rotate my fingers when I do it, but if I rotate them on purpose it will do it. Perhaps you are doing that gesture and rotating your figures for some reason and if you don't rotate them you'll be fine?

You can aslo use double-tap on a spot on the map to zoom in, and single tap with two fingers to zoom out.

gpfinn

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
TX
Bad UI change

This "NEW" rotating feature does not add anything but trouble in my perspective

It is amazing annoying to me & provide zero benefit I can see for a user.

Brilliant !!

jakob.bohem

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
Stockholm
This is a novelty feature that requires a toggle setting. Google maps does slightly mitigate the issue by offering zoom through double tap+drag, but that's hardly the sought for solution.

eliot1785

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
I used to be annoyed by this too, but I learned that Google added a new gesture which lets you easily zoom in/out with one hand. It's arguably even easier than the one handed pinch: you double tap, but hold your second tap and drag up (zoom in) or down (zoom out). It works very well and you can keep zooming until you let go so you can get it just right. Love this feature!

shnabz

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Hey guys,

You will be happy to know that iOS 11 brings the Google Maps zoom in/out feature! Where you can zoom in and out single-handedly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.