Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I have tried Scrivener, which is quite complicated. Then moved to Ulysses III. I just love the way it handles texts. Beautiful and simple app, very flat learning curve. Highly recommended. I pair it with Daedalus, the same company's iOS app, for note taking and jotting on-the-go, and it automatically sends notes to Ulysses III.

If you are looking for an outliner , then I would recommend Tree app (software maker: Top of the Tree of Japan). Elegant and simple, and again very intuitive.

Mindnode pro is another beautiful app for mind mapping.

Now I outline in Tree and save the file as .txt and then open the file in Ulysses, and start writing. Ulysses can export files in various formats, so does Tree.

Word or Pages can be used for formatting and finishing.

I guess the topic is about hardware and not software. Interesting, though.

kirsch92

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2009
Interesting thread. Just picked up a new 2014 MBA 13, 4G-128SSD at BB for 799 over the holiday, specifically for mobile writing with Scrivener. My first impressions are wonderful. 100% charge says 14.5 hours of battery time.

Glad I bought the Air with SSD vs. any Mac without. Even though I don't need the speed, I have a 2008 iMac at home with an SSD and have grown accustomed to the "no bounce" app loading, and the quick starts.
I mention this because this weekend I was helping my sister with her 2013 MacBook outfitted with a standard drive, and it is noticeably slower in response than my 2008 iMac or the Air.

The one thing I had to come to terms with on the Air is the screen. The TFT panel is definitely inferior to the IPS panels (retina or otherwise) on the more expensive Mac's, including my old '08. Very dull looking in comparison. The size of the screen is fine for most tasks, but with Scrivener, I've had to bump the text size to 175-200% when writing or editing, even in "distraction-free mode". Maybe it's just because I'm getting old.

Still, I think the Air was the write decision.;)

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I'm a novelist. I use a 2012 "11 MBA running OSX mountain lion (I refuse to upgrade because I expect fussing with the new OS will distract me from writing). I write in Scrivener (love the note cards and having both those and the scene notes on the side as I write), but brainstorm in Simplenote (for scene and character sketches and notes while I'm on the go) and Mindnode (when I need mindmapping for ideas). When I'm prepping something for submission I use Word 2010 in a Windows VM (I use VMWare).

I also use an ipad (was a 4, just got a new Air 2), and use Simplenote and Mindnode with that too. I also use Word on the ipad to read and revise - part of my Scrivener process is to compile every single time I close the app, so I always have a .docx version of my manuscript. I save that in dropbox so I have NO EXCUSES not to work on it. I find that when I want to read through something and I need a "new look" for it, Word on the ipad works nicely for me.

I use Calibri as my Scrivener font (since I came from Word and that's what I was using there), but I compile as Times New Roman since that's standard for submissions, so when I'm working in Word I'm using TNR. Yes, I see the irony there. ;)

I'm looking forward to Scrivener for ipad - I'm hoping it will allow me to leave my MBA at home for shorter trips.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Interesting thread. Just picked up a new 2014 MBA 13, 4G-128SSD at BB for 799 over the holiday, specifically for mobile writing with Scrivener. My first impressions are wonderful. 100% charge says 14.5 hours of battery time.

The one thing I had to come to terms with on the Air is the screen. The TFT panel is definitely inferior to the IPS panels (retina or otherwise) on the more expensive Mac's, including my old '08. Very dull looking in comparison. The size of the screen is fine for most tasks, but with Scrivener, I've had to bump the text size to 175-200% when writing or editing, even in "distraction-free mode". Maybe it's just because I'm getting old.

The thread started in the Air forum because at the time I was considering buying one, but was concerned about the screen ... The 13" MBPr wasn't out then.
I did buy one. Such a great writing laptop in every other way, but I just couldn't do long sessions on that screen. i still use my old iMac, although not retina it is still a good screen and the pixels are less noticeable sitting further away.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
While I don't make my living in writing, I have multiple classes that require me to take copious notes (high school). For most of my notes I use my MBA, since it's obviously very light and has an excellent battery life. I have Office 2011, I don't want to install it because it takes up room and I'm a little unsure of how it would handle Yosemite. So, I use the new Pages, and it actually has a better note taking template then Word does.

I also am planning to do a photo website/blog, and for that I may use my Late-06' iMac 20" because it has much more storage than my MBA does (500GB vs 128GB). Plus, if I didn't want to pay someone else to host that website, I could just have it be hosted on the iMac.

That's just my writing uses...

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Thread resurrection!

Ulysses have an iPad version coming out this week and a major update for the Mac version so that they can sync fairly seamlessly (Yosemite only, due to use of iCloud).

I've found that Ulysses is a simpler version of Scrivener, which I like, but have never really got to grips with - I suppose it's the difference between being a power user and a dabbler...

julianps

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
Wales, UK
While I don't make my living in writing, I have multiple classes that require me to take copious notes (high school). For most of my notes I use my MBA, since it's obviously very light and has an excellent battery life. I have Office 2011, I don't want to install it because it takes up room and I'm a little unsure of how it would handle Yosemite. So, I use the new Pages, and it actually has a better note taking template then Word does.

I also am planning to do a photo website/blog, and for that I may use my Late-06' iMac 20" because it has much more storage than my MBA does (500GB vs 128GB). Plus, if I didn't want to pay someone else to host that website, I could just have it be hosted on the iMac.

That's just my writing uses...

FWIW, I'm running MSO'11 with Yosemite on a MY2010 base MBA running 2GB RAM and 128GB SSD. So long as it's, basically, the only thing running it runs surprisingly sweetly; much better than I expected, actually.

----------

... I've found that Ulysses is a simpler version of Scrivener, which I like, but have never really got to grips with - I suppose it's the difference between being a power user and a dabbler...

I believed the key difference was the number of export/publishing formats Scrivener supports, whereas U3 is limited to ePub?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Thread resurrection!

Ulysses have an iPad version coming out this week and a major update for the Mac version so that they can sync fairly seamlessly (Yosemite only, due to use of iCloud).

I've found that Ulysses is a simpler version of Scrivener, which I like, but have never really got to grips with - I suppose it's the difference between being a power user and a dabbler...

Got Ulysses for iPad today ... Impressed. Annoyingly Dropbox is listed as supported but isn't. Hopefully that will be fixed. Love dark mode.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
I've written 12 non-fiction books on apples and macs since the 80s. I use Word and its the best.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Got Ulysses for iPad today ... Impressed. Annoyingly Dropbox is listed as supported but isn't. Hopefully that will be fixed. Love dark mode.

Well I found all the dropbox stuff there - does it not work? I'm iCloud sync-ing between mac and iPad so I don't need it, but its definitely there - under something like "external sources" in that first column on the left.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Well I found all the dropbox stuff there - does it not work? I'm iCloud sync-ing between mac and iPad so I don't need it, but its definitely there - under something like "external sources" in that first column on the left.

Yes it is listed, but doesn't work, the app developers acknowledge in the how to use instructions that it isn't working, so might be a problem at the Dropbox end.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Hi, I'm a new author but long time blogger with a large following.

I use the rMBP and have been wanting to downgrade because my MBP is overkill. Well, not really but it's too big for me to lug around from coffee shop to coffee shop. But, I also want to keep my rMBP since there hasn't been any update for the 15 inch in years, I might just go ahead and downgrade. :eek:

I try to minimize using all sorts of things because it just complicates it. I try to be simple. I have used many apps and other tools but keep finding my way back to MS Office.

----------

Dual monitor set up could be worth it, too. iA Writer on the MBA screen, Safari on the external monitor.

I would love a dual monitor! I find myself scrambling with all these pages and desktop open. Would make life easier if I got a dual monitor. I am using my rMBP for research and iMac for writing right now!

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
I would love a dual monitor! I find myself scrambling with all these pages and desktop open. Would make life easier if I got a dual monitor. I am using my rMBP for research and iMac for writing right now!

It was a good set-up, but I've switched to a LG widescreen monitor (21:9) in the meantime. Gave the MBA away to my girlfriend and bought a Mac Mini. My writing is done in Ulysses (for a year now), which occupies the left half of the screen, and Safari the right one.

The problem I had with the MBA was the cleaning. Every freaking day I had to clean it because I hate dust :mad:

carizma22

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
For those who make their living with words, whether journalism, fiction, blogging, or in the course of a day job ... What mac gear do you use, and what are your favourite apps?

Air 13 inch would be ideal next buy for me in every way except for perhaps the screen. has anyone taken the leap to rMBP just for sharp text, even if the rest of the machine is overkill for yr purposes?

I do a lot of editing and my only Mac is an 11" MBA. I mostly use Word because the team I work on prefers it. I find the MBA screen fine. The rMacbook looks exciting, but I can't see spending that much money for the 1st generation. I want to see what the issues people have with it and see some upgrades before i go that route.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I wrote most of my dissertation on an 2011 11" Air and loved it. The small screen didn't both me. Pages running in full screen mode actually probably reduced distractions for me. I upgraded to a 15" rMBP after I graduated but have found it's just too bulky to carry around with a bag full of books and papers, so I just bought a new 11" Air as my work/travel computer. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Text looks better on a retina screen but not enough to justify the extra weight and cost in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of the Air line. The rMB is interesting and offers a glimpse of the future (much like the first Air did) but I'm going to wait for that line to mature a bit.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia

I'm a big fan of the Air line. The rMB is interesting and offers a glimpse of the future (much like the first Air did) but I'm going to wait for that line to mature a bit.

What a fantastic thread - and one that certainly deserves to be bumped in light of the recent rMB developments. I, for one, am keenly looking forward to this new product line. A silent, retina, 12inch computer could be exactly what the doctor ordered!

...Now if only Yosemite could handle PDFs properly, we'd be in business!

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Hi, I'm a new author but long time blogger with a large following.

I use the rMBP and have been wanting to downgrade because my MBP is overkill. Well, not really but it's too big for me to lug around from coffee shop to coffee shop. But, I also want to keep my rMBP since there hasn't been any update for the 15 inch in years, I might just go ahead and downgrade. :eek:

I try to minimize using all sorts of things because it just complicates it. I try to be simple. I have used many apps and other tools but keep finding my way back to MS Office.

----------

I love using dual screens when doing structural work. For a while I have been using my old iMac (2007) with a Dell 24 inch monitor ... But the iMac has become slow with Yosemite and I don't like using non-retina screens now.

So, I've been using Duet with my RMBP and one of my iPads, this works well, turns the iPad into a second screen for the computer, and so accessing notes, research etc on that, and using another iPad for Internet ... So I don't have to leave the writing app on the computer.

So this is a cheap way of doing dual screen, with retina, for those on a budget ... I use an iPad air, 32gb wifi, which I got as a refurb, for this. Well, it's not about being on a budget in my case, my rMPB can't run a 4k screen at maximum quality and I only use that for structural work. I love writing on the iPads, typing and also handwriting and so on.

TonicAngel

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2003
California
I write fiction using scrivener on a 2011 11 inch macbook air. Perfect size for portability and I can write anywhere. Scrivener had a bit of a learning curve but I have found my process and love it. For edits - I still use word for track changes.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Anyone thinking of picking up the new MB? As writers I thought some might be interested in the new MB. I am but I'm debating about it. To be honest, I don't know if I want to pay that much. I think I need about another couple weeks to a month to decide on this. :eek:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Anyone thinking of picking up the new MB? As writers I thought some might be interested in the new MB. I am but I'm debating about it. To be honest, I don't know if I want to pay that much. I think I need about another couple weeks to a month to decide on this. :eek:
Nope, no interest. I find my 2014 11" MBA to be just fine for writing. Even if I didn't have an mba I probably would get one over the new MB. There are some great deals to be had.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

I am. Ordering mine tomorrow.

Chad Brostorm

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
I am. Ordering mine tomorrow.

Would be interested in your thoughts once you get it. I currently have a 2013 15-inch rMBP and absolutely do not *need* the rMB, but I love shiny new things.

Going back to the original topic - I'm a feature length screenwriter, and I jump around between programs, but lately I've been using a combination of: Slugline, Evernote, Fade In Pro, and Scrivener. I use a few Cloud-based things too: Workflowy and Trello.

At home I use this new monster hackintosh rig I just built: 4.0GHz i7 4790k, 32GB RAM, GTX 970 SLI (I dual-boot and play PC games), running almost perfectly on a 4K monitor. When I'm 'on the go' I use my rMBP and iPad Air 2.

I love tech and honestly think Windows 10-based devices will be something to look forward to. I used an SP3 for a bit but hated the way it handled HiDPI, but maybe the SP4 will be better.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
I think the rMB is going to be a fantastic tool for us writers once the price comes down.

It pretty much has everything most writers would want -- retina screen, ultra portable, long battery life (and a fast-enough processor for what we do).

if I hadn't just bought the 11" MBA in Sept the rMB would have been tempting, but I would probably still pass on a 1st gen mac that is perhaps $300-$500 overpriced.

As a screenwriter, I use Evernote for brainstorming and outlining and just switched from FINAL DRAFT to FADE IN for actual script writing -- FINAL DRAFT is fine but I got frustrated paying $99 for an upgrade that offered very little when the entire FADE IN software was only $50.

So far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.