Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richin90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2015
Hello good people from MacRumors, I had been trying to find good information about the nMP, and there is not too much in the field that I´m looking for....

I wanted to ask if someone know how well the performance is in the Viewport MAYA with the dual graphics, I´am asking this because, I do animation and sometimes I get heavy rigs and wanted to move really quick in the time slider, or even better have the playblack speed above 24 fps.

That is my main concern before buy one of this expensive workstation. I have seen quadro cards work really well in this tasks, also the AMD w9100 that the two FP D700 are similar to these one, but the drivers are different, so I don't know how well the performance is.

Can someone please please, explain me advantages and dis (beside the lack of update hardware), this machine for my field as a CG Animator?

Thank you Guys.:):rolleyes:

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
The drivers for OS X aren't optimised for viewport performance like they are for other OSes. Dual GPUs doesn't add any benefit either. Basically you aren't going to get anything like you'd get on Windows from my experience.

From what you've said I'd suggest you get a PC as Maya is also a lot better on Windows and Linux.

One thing of note is that the windows bootcamp drivers are better than the Radeon cards would be, but the D700s perform worse than a W7000.

Might want to read all the comments in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1699942/

And this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...=18254205&id=18844534&product=117&os=2&hw=324

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hello good people from MacRumors, I had been trying to find good information about the nMP, and there is not too much in the field that I´m looking for....

I wanted to ask if someone know how well the performance is in the Viewport MAYA with the dual graphics, I´am asking this because, I do animation and sometimes I get heavy rigs and wanted to move really quick in the time slider, or even better have the playblack speed above 24 fps.

That is my main concern before buy one of this expensive workstation. I have seen quadro cards work really well in this tasks, also the AMD w9100 that the two FP D700 are similar to these one, but the drivers are different, so I don't know how well the performance is.

Can someone please please, explain me advantages and dis (beside the lack of update hardware), this machine for my field as a CG Animator?

Thank you Guys.:):rolleyes:

Hi Richin90. There is a video explaining more about the Viewport performance though using Cinema 4D on the New Mac Pro and not Maya. The author also explained that most of the task are CPU bound and will not make use of the dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro. He shared his opinion if it's worth to get the new Mac Pro for 3D animation.

https://youtu.be/qnZHQlBmMD8

With the amount of expenses to put out, may be good to try to get more inputs from other sources to help with your decision.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Macsonic, thanks for the video link and it is very informative to point out how the current software development lags behind the hardware.

Welcome XcodeSyn. I also learned a lot from that video and true that software lags behind hardware advancement. An animator friend of mine who works in a 3D animation company told me when they were upgrading some of their machines, the firm decided to get HP PC workstations instead of the new Mac Pro. Their decision was more of "Strategic" aside from cost considerations. If they went with the new Mac Pro, they would be stuck with the old dual GPUs for the next 3-5 years. With the GPU being proprietary, it was also more difficult to troubleshoot, isolate problems if there were GPU problems and they may need to bring the nMac Pro computer to the Apple Service center. With the PC tower workstation, their IT dept keeps extra GPUs and can quickly diagnose the problem with minimal downtime. I think Umbongo's suggestion on opting for a PC machine makes more sense in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.